mikaelsol

Soltown - video tours

What's the upside, dear AFOL's?

((I don't dislike modulars, I just don't feel I have the space for them, but I do build MOCs inspired by LEGO's official modulars.))

Anyhouse, here's a video where I showcase my custom LEGO town, Soltown, as it is in January 2020.

I hope to post updates in this thread if it's allowed. 

Edited by mikaelsol

Thank you! 

Here's a computer store I've made (and some other additions in the beginning of the video). 
I like the idea of making shops that sell those pieces I pretty much never use, but that I really like. As a kid I only had two Lego computers for the longest time (well, it felt like so), so as an adult I like to look at them, and this store is a way to display them, even though the idea of these kind of computers are super dated ....

I like the steps next to the police station. The sand green apartment over the service station, does it have a door to the upper level behind it? I agree that building so higher things against the wall would look cool. You wouldn't even need to make them deep, just a facade really.

Edited by gotoAndLego

On 1/23/2020 at 2:38 AM, gotoAndLego said:

I like the steps next to the police station. The sand green apartment over the service station, does it have a door to the upper level behind it? I agree that building so higher things against the wall would look cool. You wouldn't even need to make them deep, just a facade really.

No, I kinda cheated there ... But that's a great idea! I should totally ad a door there! Thanks!

Here's a process video of when I built the building that hides the power outlet.

4 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

Was going to say that hiding the outlet that way was great.

Thanks, mate! 

Somebody wrote me and asked me if I wasn't worried it would cause a fire, but I have a hard time believing that can happen. I mean the shell for the socket itself is plastic. But I always pull out the cords when I'm not in the room, just to be sure.

What's the upside, AFOLs! My latest build is a flower shop, with a green house on the top floor and a compact interior for the shop itself. Hope you have a great weekend!

23 hours ago, mikaelsol said:

Thanks, mate! 

Somebody wrote me and asked me if I wasn't worried it would cause a fire, but I have a hard time believing that can happen. I mean the shell for the socket itself is plastic. But I always pull out the cords when I'm not in the room, just to be sure.

If the plug is cool to the touch when behind it then you really don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the feedback, pals! I just love the Lego community! Compared to so many others we have over the years been really good at being supportive and friendly to everyone! 

Here's a fresh video! We get a lot of coffee mugs in the sets, but where do the minifies buy their mugs? I just hade to make a coffee mug shop!

Edited by mikaelsol

Love this scale , not that I dislike the modular sets, they are just too big for my shelves so I have mostly 3-in-1 buildings.

Nice custom builds as well for sure.

Edited by TeriXeri

This is so nice!

All the apparently weird but so lovely, so crazy - in other words - so LEGO details! Finally, someone who likes to put a lake onto the upper floor of a building. And so much more.

I love this - I am building exactly the same way. Think the "not possible" and simply build it with LEGO.

I admire your creativity - and your way of making it LEGO reality.

Thanks for sharing and all the best!

Thorsten

been following your channel. very original and creative with space. other layouts are about all the same modulars and lots of money. yours is about inspiration. love it

Love all the little details man, the track running in between those buildings reminds me of the video of that market in Thailand that did the rounds on the web... Maeklong I think it's called?  Really cool setup!

Thanks, everyone! Some answers to your feedback below:

TeriXeri I love the 3-in-1! I have a shelf in my closet with LED lights and a small diorama of those buildings. Great stuff! Got the set you have in your profile pic just the other day. 

Toastie There's truly is so much we can do in our towns. My basic inspiration is thinking about how I built towns as a kid when I only had a bin with a few sets and random parts. I had like one door, so I used roof hinges to create doors. It made the towns look real funny. Another inspiration is the first Lego Movie where they just went nuts with some designs. 

georgeaxe2000:
Yeah, I totally agree. The modulars looks great, but they are expensive and take a lot of space. I wouldn't want to mod a modular because I would feel that I spent so much money for it, so then the creative part mostly is how you arrange the modulars in a layout. And I'm super happy for those who enjoy that ready made modular system. I guess that's the whole point with it, but I always feel a need to start modding. And as a channel I also want to show others that we can make fun layouts with the parts we have, and in a small space.

electropieYes, I didn't really think about that market, even though I've seen videos from it many times, but hey, your comment gave me the idea to turn that area more inte something similar to that market! Great feedback!

What's the upside, dear adult fans of Lego?
New video! I've made an IKEA hack so that I get a new raised level for my custom Lego town layout. And I've rebuilt my juice bar moc!
Hope you're having a great day!

Thanks, mate! Yeah, I like to mix old and new! 

Here's today's video, where I make an additional build to LEGO's official CITY museum from 2013.

Happy Sunday, friends!

In todays update I've built a LEGO train bridge so I can display my custom shunter/switcher. 

Not bad :)

I have not checked all videos, so here is a question: Kit Walker, is he walking the streets somewhere there, with is wolf?

On 2/10/2020 at 1:18 PM, Shiva said:

Not bad :)

I have not checked all videos, so here is a question: Kit Walker, is he walking the streets somewhere there, with is wolf?

Hey, that's a great idea! I'll make sure to ad them as an Easter egg! 

With that said, here's the February LEGO city tour! I'll try to make one each month that summarize the recent progress. It's been a fun couple of weeks!