AMD

LEGO 40th anniversary classic train

On 3/9/2020 at 12:23 AM, Carefree_Dude said:

Here is a quick fix. Didn't have the right colors available offhand but it works really well. Spacing still works on Lego curves

A bit late to the game (actually not, was following this thread from the beginning).

My personal take on this "40th anniversary" train set is: With @Carefree_Dude's modification, it becomes a really nice and true 40th anniversary set. Without, the spacing of the wheels is - well - bad. Really bad. On display, from any angle other than fully sideways, they look like touching. And this, because there are no other wheels. 

40th anniversary sets should either have decent parts or - decent solutions.

I'll build that little one from parts I have (I don't have any Technic 1x2's with two holes in red, but I can't care less - spacing is so much nicer - and you barely can spot it).

Thank you very much @Carefree_Dude for sharing!!!

Best wishes
Thorsten 

6 hours ago, CSW652 said:

So as everyone builds their 40370s, I suppose Bricklink will be running low on the old style magnet couplers.

Still trying to decide if I want to build mine or keep it in the box, maybe I should just get a 2nd one.

Build it!

In my personal opinion, Lego is a terrible investment to try and make money off later; Sure, there are a handful of sets that do become fairly valuable, but you also need to do your best to keep those sets in pristine condition, and then comes the struggle of finding a buyer who is willing to pay that inflated price; and then you need to hope the buyer doesn't do some paypal shenanigans or such. 

investments are best left to things like stocks. Leave the lego for playing and having fun. 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:13 PM, Toastie said:

40th anniversary sets should either have decent parts or - decent solutions.

Yes, Thorsten... They could have molded buffers in red and reuse them for Train sets in the future :laugh: But hey, I didn't jump the "train" (or engine) with this one, so I have no reason to complain. I keep finishing additional waggons for my Metro Liner and be happy with that.

It's a shame that we didn't get an official 50 Years of Lego Trains set, just the employee gift which is not widely available to everyone (at least not for a reasonable price). That contempt of train fans is worrying. But then again, we did get a lot of official Train sets in 2019 and 2020. Hmmmm.

Hey did anyone figure out a good way to mount a Power UP battery in the engine and access the on/off button?  I like others have the 2x4 slopped brick on top of the battery.  Have to remove this brick to turn the battery on/off.  

Amazon USA has these being sold today at $50 US each.  That is the most expensive I have seen yet.  Anyone seen priced higher?

Kinda wish I had bought a few doz of these.  Would have cost me a few thousand dollars thou...lol.

I was shocked that Amazon was selling these and then I checked...it's a third party seller "treasures&more", not Amazon themselves, marking up their excess stock no doubt. Still, if you missed out on the promotion, this is an (overpriced) way for you to get it!

Edited by Mr Hobbles

1 hour ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Still, if you missed out on the promotion, this is an (overpriced) way for you to get it!

Agree.

Plus: You can make it easily much better using a little modding (shown here) with plain vanilla pieces.

Best
Thorsten

W

On 12/14/2021 at 8:04 AM, brick-builds said:

We motorized the 7810 with circuit cubes and it works fine:

Well done.

I was just thinking of doing this via a motorized coal tender, to use on either of those trains as I need.

But the circuit cubes are so handy I may just modify both trains with their own motor & Bluetooth hub.