AMD

LEGO 40th anniversary classic train

@JaBaCaDaBra I've been on the inside tour at the factory in Billund and can answer your very question from info we were given. :)

TLG keeps the molds in a special fireproof bunker like room in the factory. They are very heavy. They need to be loaded onto a cart with a crane, taken to the correct part of the factory where the machine is, then another crane loads it into the machine. It takes a couple of hours to change molds.

The factory has rooms full of machines (I can't remember how many) - 64 machines per room. Each moulding machine has one mold in it. The machines also run non-stop, producing parts for active sets in production. There is little to no downtime apart from maintenance, as its wasted time that the machine could be making parts.

To take the mold for the chassis and put it into production would mean that machine is not making other parts for other sets in production. Add to the fact that this is a very niche part - only in use in old trains, and it makes little sense to take the time away from other parts production, when you can just build a different chassis from other bricks.

The same logic applies to red buffers - the mold exists (and is in production, for other trains!), but to swap the color for red means for that amount of time it cant be producing black buffers. It also means taking up warehouse space (which is limited) for a simple buffer which can be made from bricks, especially for a GWP.

35 minutes ago, Carefree_Dude said:

I've heard of lego destroying moulds in the past. *Sheds tear for monorail*

Moulds wear out. If the parts do not meet the quality specifications anymore, the mould is destroyed to prevent that somebody else reuses it to produce low quality parts.

Edited by legotownlinz

44 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

Moulds wear out. If the parts do not meet the quality specifications anymore, the mould is destroyed to prevent that somebody else reuses it to produce low quality parts.

And due to the cost of new moulds they may not be replaced if the parts are no longer required or another in-production part can be substituted - that’s my theory as to why we don’t have the ‘train’ window frame any more :(

On 1/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

I try to explain my thought:

• It is a single locomotive. A 7710 is surely more iconic, but it's a bigger set too.
  • It's quite inexpensive to build with modern parts (apart the red 6x16 base). It has no double-colored doors and 99% of the parts are still available or can be easily replaced (like the 2x2 black windows).
  • it was without motor, so it can be built easily with three axles. This is something that cannot be done with an unmodified PF/PuP motor - moreover it is black and not fitting the original "chassis color" of the 7810.
  • It has no connecting rods (like the 7760, for example)

I share this analysis one hundred percent ... this set is really simple and devoid of valuable parts, I prefer the original 7810 :sceptic:

So I finally got the Winter Village Fire Station, and also ordered this GWP . . does anyone have thoughts on how best to attach it to a newer-style train?

9 minutes ago, Carefree_Dude said:

Your best bet would be to build a small tender that has Powered up hub and motor. You can attach it to the engine using a small technic piece or buy some magnet. 

You can take it a step further and buy this: 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4178&idColor=5#T=C&C=5

No, I HAVE a new train. I converted the recent City Passenger Train so that the motor was in the first carriage and then hooked it up to the Hidden Side train, but I’m now looking to replace the Hidden Side engine with this. I’m just wondering if anyone has any insight on how to connect a standard magnetic coupling to those brick-built buffers and Technic pin hole. 

5 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

No, I HAVE a new train. I converted the recent City Passenger Train so that the motor was in the first carriage and then hooked it up to the Hidden Side train, but I’m now looking to replace the Hidden Side engine with this. I’m just wondering if anyone has any insight on how to connect a standard magnetic coupling to those brick-built buffers and Technic pin hole. 

Oh that's easy you would just use these. 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2920&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

I think you will have to make modifications to the wheels, as they will likely bind in corners unless you make the middle axle float. Unless TLG took care of this in their design.

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

I think you will have to make modifications to the wheels, as they will likely bind in corners unless you make the middle axle float. Unless TLG took care of this in their design.

Oh yeah, definitely going to do that. I plan to lift the central wheel by two studs, off the rails. Or maybe it would be easier to just replace it with a tyre-less red wheel . . eh, I’ll work it out. 

6 minutes ago, Carefree_Dude said:

Thanks!

I was all set to order last night.  Turns out replacement bricks don't count toward the $100 minimum for eligibility.  That was a bummer!  I still ordered my bricks thou.

This 40th train was just going to be a dust collector for me anyways, may as well let it go to someone who will enjoy it more.  

Edit.  Visited my local Lego store and bought enough product to qualify for the set.  Not sure what I will do with it, but box looks good.

Edited by LegoDW
Got the set

Bought it this morning - It will be simply a Shelf Queen together with the "50 years on track" box. I believe it will be a good investment! :laugh:

16 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

To take the mold for the chassis and put it into production would mean that machine is not making other parts for other sets in production. Add to the fact that this is a very niche part - only in use in old trains, and it makes little sense to take the time away from other parts production, when you can just build a different chassis from other bricks.

The same logic applies to red buffers - the mold exists (and is in production, for other trains!), but to swap the color for red means for that amount of time it cant be producing black buffers. It also means taking up warehouse space (which is limited) for a simple buffer which can be made from bricks, especially for a GWP.

First, I'd like to say thank you that you are taking your time to explain to us what had been given as information to you on the inside tour.

Second, I have to "enhance" that argument a little bit. We do get lots and lots of new molds every year, sometimes just for 1 or maybe 2 to 3 sets. For example just look at the new molds (and colours too!) we have in 2020 for the Trolls sets!

So why do other themes and new IPs get new molds and colours? Because there you can possibly offset the hidden costs you mentioned. TLC is not willing to divert labour and material for something which is pure fan service. They are aiming for the big audience, where big money can be made. That's it.

So, I'm sorry to say this, but this display piece will not find a new home in my flat. I rather spend my bucks on old used LEGO sets than buy something from the current lineup (which doesn't serve my needs) just to get this iconic model. Sometimes you just have to restrain yourself :laugh:

1 hour ago, Capparezza said:

So, I'm sorry to say this, but this display piece will not find a new home in my flat. I rather spend my bucks on old used LEGO sets than buy something from the current lineup (which doesn't serve my needs) just to get this iconic model. Sometimes you just have to restrain yourself :laugh:

I spent my bucks on powered up distance sensors, lights and train motors, plus a pick-a-brick cup for my kid, to get this GWP in the lego shop. So that served my needs. Why people buy full lego sets in official lego stores is beyond me anyway. Here in the Netherlands the passenger train for example costs 30 euros more than in the regular Intertoys shop.  Why those huge prize differences?

11 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I was all set to order last night.  Turns out replacement bricks don't count toward the $100 minimum for eligibility.  That was a bummer!  I still ordered my bricks thou. 

This 40th train was just going to be a dust collector for me anyways, may as well let it go to someone who will enjoy it more.   

I think if you orders parts from bricks and pieces PLUS something from the normal S@H store the parts count (at least they did for me last month in the US on the heart jewelry box)

Also, I think Lego over-produces the sets for the give aways unless there is extremely high demand. Like you, I see this as a dust collector, however, unlike you, I am scratching my head to come up with $200+ worth of stuff to buy so that I can have a pair of dust collectors (grin).

27 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

I think if you orders parts from bricks and pieces PLUS something from the normal S@H store the parts count (at least they did for me last month in the US on the heart jewelry box)

Also, I think Lego over-produces the sets for the give aways unless there is extremely high demand. Like you, I see this as a dust collector, however, unlike you, I am scratching my head to come up with $200+ worth of stuff to buy so that I can have a pair of dust collectors (grin).

In the past BAP orders did not count towards GWPs for me. They only count for 2x VIP.

I had postponed buying the ISS so I added some speed champions to that order to get 40370 (I collect LEGO cars as well as Trains). For my second copy I picked up the Fiat 500 with another Speed Champion. One to build and one to keep new.

Edited by Phil B

5 hours ago, Capparezza said:

First, I'd like to say thank you that you are taking your time to explain to us what had been given as information to you on the inside tour.

Second, I have to "enhance" that argument a little bit. We do get lots and lots of new molds every year, sometimes just for 1 or maybe 2 to 3 sets. For example just look at the new molds (and colours too!) we have in 2020 for the Trolls sets!

So why do other themes and new IPs get new molds and colours? Because there you can possibly offset the hidden costs you mentioned. TLC is not willing to divert labour and material for something which is pure fan service. They are aiming for the big audience, where big money can be made. That's it.

That's very true! And also remember that the Trolls theme will be around for 2 years+ since normally sets don't get retired until after 2 years. They will also be reused across all the sets in the theme. The distribution for those sets is also wider than a Gift With Purchase that is only available from Lego stores for a 2 week period. So those new parts will see much larger runs than the train chassis or red buffers would here.

Edited by Mr Hobbles

So will this thing need a floating middle axle? To me it looks like the wheels are close enough together to not matter. It's a minor change either way, just curious. Also I think the original train didn't have one?

1 hour ago, Carefree_Dude said:

So will this thing need a floating middle axle? To me it looks like the wheels are close enough together to not matter. It's a minor change either way, just curious. Also I think the original train didn't have one?

I think the use of a 6l axle will mean you can just move the wheels a touch further apart to allow for floating, since there's extra axle available on each side?

EDIT: Misunderstood - not a solution. :)

Edited by Mr Hobbles

I don't think you have to float the middle axle.  The wheel size and spacing should go fine around standard LEGO R40 curves as is. 

My local Lego store had tons of these promos.  Not like the Christmas Tree few months back, that was sold out like day 1.5 of promo!

Edited by LegoDW

18 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Hmm..the skinny on this as of now appears to be that parts from the online PAB (very limited selection/colors/usually pricier than BAP) count towards GWP but parts from BAP do not (although they do count towards the free shipping minimum).