AMD

LEGO 40th anniversary classic train

I am also eagerly awaiting information when it will be released! 

It does not look like this one will have magnetic couplers... that's a shame.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

I'm a bit torn.  Part of me really likes this for it's nostalgia value and takes me back to the trains I actually played with back in the day; the rest of me looks at this and realizes how far Lego Trains have come.

I think it would have been cooler to have a "Then and Now" themed anniversary set (or pair of sets of you're trying to keep the price down): one engine like this using only parts and techniques that were available 40 years ago and the same class of engine done using the current palette of bricks and advanced SNOT techniques that have brought so much realism and fidelity to modern offerings.

That would be cool to make book ends ... This set going into a tunnel the remade moc coming out the other side

The 7810 is a very simple and nice set from the 80's I like it a lot, it was my second locomotive back in the day).  Not the most iconic one, but in my opinion  one of the easiest to be proposed as an "anniversary model" today. I try to explain my thought:

• It is a single locomotive. A 7710 is surely more iconic, but it's a bigger set too.
  • It's quite inexpensive to build with modern parts (apart the red 6x16 base). It has no double-colored doors and 99% of the parts are still available or can be easily replaced (like the 2x2 black windows).
  • it was without motor, so it can be built easily with three axles. This is something that cannot be done with an unmodified PF/PuP motor - moreover it is black and not fitting the original "chassis color" of the 7810.
  • It has no connecting rods (like the 7760, for example)

There's one more thing...the possibility to motorize it are not changed too much in 40 years.

Back in the day, I could put a 4,5v battery motor or a 12v motor in it. Now we have no more 12v or 9v motors picking up their power from the track. So we are stuck on battery power (PF or Pup).

There's no room inside the locomotive for it. So...it needs again a battery box wagon :laugh:! Very nostalgic!!! :wub:

6 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:
  •  

Back in the day, I could put a 4,5v battery motor or a 12v motor in it. Now we have no more 12v or 9v motors picking up their power from the track. So we are stuck on battery power (PF or Pup).

There's no room inside the locomotive for it. So...it needs again a battery box wagon :laugh:! Very nostalgic!!! :wub:

This would be brilliant if they released it this way ... But I think the goal with this is to be a shelf model

5 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

This would be brilliant if they released it this way ... But I think the goal with this is to be a shelf model

I think you're absolutely right - It is for sure a shelf queen :classic:

<good old days mode ON>

...and it'll remain like that, since there's no more the idea to recreate a train "family" with different locomotives, wagons, accessories and so on :hmpf_bad::laugh:

<good old days mode OFF>

Edited by Paperinik77pk

5 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

... But I think the goal with this is to be a shelf model

No, I think the real goal of this set was to simultaneously get our hopes up as well as waste our time.

:sceptic:

But hey, it'll supposedly be a GwP...

yAy

22 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I have to agree with you. And thats why I will never buy it. Instead I will expand my 12v collection. 

Well that's a bit meh...

If you're doing a tribute re-issue then why not pick something more iconic like 726, 7750 or the engine from 7740?

726-1.jpg

7750-1.jpg

7740-1.jpg

And why are they releasing this 4 years late?

We used to have the 1980 7710 Push Train (now incomplete due to missing/broken parts), but €99 GWP is like way too high to be "nostalgic" for this.

Edited by TeriXeri

Is the cap is backwards in the Brickset photo or is that new headgear piece?

41 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Is the cap is backwards in the Brickset photo or is that new headgear piece?

It's just backwards...the author of the review mentioned it in one of the comments.

as far as bonuses go, this isn't too bad of one. There are a couple expensive sets I want to buy anyways, would be a good way to get two of these. Also I think it would be enjoyable to stick Powered Up into a small tender to motorize it. 

Edited by Carefree_Dude

Definitely a nice little bonus - hope to pick one of these up once they are available, though I plan on swapping out the brick-built chassis for the original part - the brick-built buffers are too large for my taste.

Edited by DirtPiper

On 1/24/2020 at 5:04 PM, LegoPanda said:

Any ideas around when it might be released?

Last night at 00:01
It's not for sale but a free gift and it's in the order I placed.:grin_wub:

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

1 hour ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Last night at 00:01
It's not for sale but a free gift and it's in the order I placed.:grin_wub:

Same here - it was the excuse I needed to get the Bookshop :) I have the original 7810 somewhere though I think it’s mostly in pieces so I’m going to try to get it I together before the ‘tribute’ set arrives...

I got it at the lego shop in Utrecht, the Netherlands, today. And I was certainly not the only one.

Now with this all above there is something that comes to mind.

Usually moulds are pampered like baby's and locked away in vaults.
So why didn't use Lego the original vault to produce the original chassis?

Only thing I can think of is that the mould doesn't fit on modern extrusion machines anymore.
NO company throws away a mould.