AMD

LEGO 40th anniversary classic train

Couldn't find a topic specifically for this set so might as well create one.

Take it as a grain of salt but there is a leak that will release soon to celebrate its 40th anniversary from a set that is based on

7810-1.jpg

Edited by AMD

Yessssss!  I wonder if it will:

*Be similar in style like the emerald knight 

*Be possible to motorize it

Maybe it will be like the sets that they sell in the Legoland Parks, almost like the Disney train set.

We shall wait with baited breath!!!

I mean if those are red buffers that is good enough for me. 

Actually, want to know what this set would be good for? Build a flatbed car to have this sit on and be pulled by another train. 

Edited by Carefree_Dude

I love it! I actually want to go the opposite route, and build a wagon to go behind it that I can stick a motor in.

I'm a bit torn.  Part of me really likes this for it's nostalgia value and takes me back to the trains I actually played with back in the day; the rest of me looks at this and realizes how far Lego Trains have come.

I think it would have been cooler to have a "Then and Now" themed anniversary set (or pair of sets of you're trying to keep the price down): one engine like this using only parts and techniques that were available 40 years ago and the same class of engine done using the current palette of bricks and advanced SNOT techniques that have brought so much realism and fidelity to modern offerings.

Does anyone know if this set is going to be a "for sale" item or a GwP give-away (the latter option making it much more appealing to me)?

16 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Does anyone know if this set is going to be a "for sale" item or a GwP give-away (the latter option making it much more appealing to me)?

The box style suggests this is a GWP. Curious what the purchase threshold is going to be. Likely aligned with the cost of a current trainset is my best guess.

3 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

I mean if those are red buffers that is good enough for me. 

Actually, want to know what this set would be good for? Build a flatbed car to have this sit on and be pulled by another train. 

That’s brilliant. If I can get this one I’ll totally do that.

And I’m kind of hoping it’ll be a LEGO Store exclusive or at least available there. I almost never buy direct from LEGO, so making it a GWP would kinda suck for me. 

Even if the set isn't regularly available, it is made out of mostly common parts (except for the red buffers or whatever those are) so it would be easy enough to build your own. 

I probably have enough of the parts already to build a handful of them. 

Edited by Carefree_Dude

To my eye it looks like the buffers are boat studs. They're spaced inwards a bit more than the original and look a bit larger.

Good for nostalgia.  I butchered my 7710 engine back in the days.   This could work as a substitute.

Yeah, I believe this'll be a GWP, not for regular sale. So I'm gonna hold off some purchases until I see this. :)

44 minutes ago, Phoxtane said:

To my eye it looks like the buffers are boat studs. They're spaced inwards a bit more than the original and look a bit larger.

Im thinking this too, but it is hard to tell in the blurry image. 

Also I didn't know those were called boat studs. 

Hmm. although interesting to choose a classic small steamer which makes good sense, I feel it could be more "modernised" to make it more attractive. But I think I need to wait for better pictures to make a final judgement on this one (and let it all sink in first).

My goodness, that will be an instant buy for me!! :drool:  I understand that Lego trains have come a long way and became more and more realistic, but I always felt that the charm and unique atmosphere of the '80ie's sets has simply gone, nothing's left of it. Today's sets rarely give me the "must have" feeling, so I will be extremely happy to have this (hopefully)! :cry_happy: Maybe I'm too old (40, just like on the box :laugh:), but I think there will be others too who will be very-very happy with this set! 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:23 AM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

This is just me, but I don't go in for "retro" Lego. This is of zero interest to me.

I understand that people want an actual new train, but I don't understand the dislike for this set - it's a 40th anniversary set, it's supposed to remind us of what LEGO trains were like 40 years ago.  A new EN or Maersk caliber set would be awesome, too, as a celebration of LEGO trains, I agree, but apparently there's no love for us rail fans.  If they don't think it's worth it, they don't think it's worth it.

I actually hope I can just buy this.  I simply don't buy a lot of new LEGO anymore, and I'd rather pay $20 than have to buy a $99 set at full price.