fromthebeanbag

Building a Home Office Lego Trainset

I've just started building my first home office lego trainset. At the moment, it's just the basic track layout in the lego room.. which ironically, the kids think was built for them.. So wrong they are...  :) 

What are peoples thoughts on using 3rd party track to get access to tighter curves and compact points.. Instead of the space wasting ones that come from lego??

Anyway, below is a quick video of the 60097 in action around the layout.. 

Lego's own R40 curves are already pretty tight...you may have issues getting trains to run properly around tighter curves. Depending on whether you are building official sets or MOCs, you might have to significantly alter the bogies, shorten the wheelbase on two-axle wagons, etc.

Very cool!

Oddly enough, I'm planning out how to do something similar right now. However, my office is much smaller and I've got to accommodate a closet on one wall, so I'm on the hunt for good ideas. Do you happen to have a top down view or diagram of your track layout?

Cheers

Shockingly, I’d say less is more.

I would either reduce the layout to a single track mainline, or compact the two lines to a 4 stud margin instead of 8 (wherever possible).

Pretty cool. 

Sadly though, I have nowhere near that amount of space in my office. I've been toying with the idea of using narrow shelfs high on the wall to hold the tracks, but that won't leave much space for landscaping and buildings. 

Is that a home office lego train layout or a work desk wasting consuming valuable space in a  lego layout? (grin) Looks fun either way. I would agree with the earlier comment about the curves, R40 are pretty tight to begin with. I could see some space saving with crossover switches either homemade or third party. If you are really tight on space doing an open ended track would be a huge space saver, but it is a lot harder to just set the train loose to run on its own.

20 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Lego's own R40 curves are already pretty tight...you may have issues getting trains to run properly around tighter curves. Depending on whether you are building official sets or MOCs, you might have to significantly alter the bogies, shorten the wheelbase on two-axle wagons, etc.

The R40 Curves are ok.. But was thinking more about the switch tracks (60238) with something from trixbrix that is more compact. As using two of the lego 60238 takes up alot of space to change between my two main lines.

1 hour ago, Carefree_Dude said:

Get your coworkers offices involved too, have it visit all the cubes and bring snacks. 

This layout is at home.. But i'm tempted to setup one at work.. It would defiantly make the day more interesting. 

20 hours ago, Fingolfin said:

.... so I'm on the hunt for good ideas. Do you happen to have a top down view or diagram of your track layout?

I'll dig up a pic or two of the layout.. Just need to find somewhere to host my images. 

25 minutes ago, fromthebeanbag said:

was thinking more about the switch tracks (60238) with something from trixbrix that is more compact. As using two of the lego 60238 takes up alot of space to change between my two main lines.

Cut them. You will save a heap of space. There are a number of guides online of where to cut.

If you don't have a great deal of space a point to point layout is always a great option. 

14 hours ago, hallidaynick said:

Cut them. You will save a heap of space. There are a number of guides online of where to cut.

If you don't have a great deal of space a point to point layout is always a great option. 

Hmm,  cutting looks like a good option.  Also a whole lot cheaper than alternatives.. thanks