Sign in to follow this  
sheo

[MOC] Windmill

This build was planned for the Colossal Castle Contest, but I missed the deadline because of a lost Bricklink order.

49408432771_7697f0ba2f_c.jpg

49408432791_57c898bd5d_c.jpg

This is a great creation!  I particularly like the gradually decreasing diameter of the mill as it goes up--that must have taken quite a while to do!  The rounded mill roof is well done, too.  Is this a fairly sturdy build or are the walls delicate?  It's a nice technique.

Very cool build.  I like the scale of this and the techniques used.  

Thank you for the kind words, @zoth33 and @Grover!

9 hours ago, Grover said:

Is this a fairly sturdy build or are the walls delicate?

It's quite sturdy, I was able to lift the entire build with the base while holding the tower.

OK, it's sturdy... now I'm really curious.  I've been trying to figure out how you managed to get the slightly decreasing circle diameters going up while still connecting the bricks.  I thought at first that you had one or two less bricks in a circle each time, stacked on top of one another, but that wouldn't make sense because there's no way to solidly connect those that I can see... do you mind sharing how you got the windmill walls to be solid?  It's something that you have mastered and is obvious in most structures like this but I rarely see because it's too difficult to render in Lego.  Great work in any case!

Thank you, @LEGO Train 12 Volts and @Boindil Lego!

13 hours ago, Grover said:

OK, it's sturdy... now I'm really curious.  I've been trying to figure out how you managed to get the slightly decreasing circle diameters going up while still connecting the bricks.  I thought at first that you had one or two less bricks in a circle each time, stacked on top of one another, but that wouldn't make sense because there's no way to solidly connect those that I can see... do you mind sharing how you got the windmill walls to be solid?  It's something that you have mastered and is obvious in most structures like this but I rarely see because it's too difficult to render in Lego.  Great work in any case!

There are indeed circles of individually hinged bricks which are then connected to the central pillar.

Wow, nice technique indeed. You made me curious. Wanna share some of the techniques used?