Corellian Apartment Party
Interference
Clandestine Meeting
Investigation in the Sand
A Turn of Events
Snarky Gundark (you're here!)
TBA
Later Story Entries:

Mick and his CorSec crew left Gradalla's fortress as fast as they could.

Personnel Files:

Spoiler

640x640.jpgMick: Human Male - CorSec Training Officer

640x640.jpgZak: Human Male

640x640.jpgCassandra: Human Female

640x640.jpgBlake: Human Male

640x640.jpgOtzie: Human Male

640x640.jpgHugo: Neimoidian Male

640x640.jpgKortan: Kriffar Male

640x640.jpgSari: Species Unknown

A few dunes away was the CorSec ship Mick's crew had been given for their mission to save him.

The Snarky Gundark

The Snarky Gundark was a Galaxy Class freighter first in production during the Old Republic. It's hull design had recently come back into style and CorSec had purchased a few for reconnaissance missions.

800x311.jpg

Hugo had stayed with the ship will the rest of the crew went to save Mick. They didn't want any bands of Jawas disassembling the ship for parts.

800x778.jpg

The ship had many features that made it perfect for a team like Mick's. Separate crew quarters for both men and women, a large mess hall, a mechanic's bay, and plenty of room in the cockpit. It also boasted a central turret and two side turrets in case of combat.

Snarky Gundark Interior Layout

There were separate quarters for the captain (Mick in this case) and a fully loaded med-bay.

The Snarky Gundark

Mick would have to get the full tour later. Right now they needed to get airborne right away.

800x393.jpg

640x640.jpg Hurry! Scanners picked up a swarm of TIEs headed our way!

800x374.jpg

A beautiful rendition, nicely done. My main peeve is the fact the the floor is a grid throughout the ship, rather than following the shape of the rooms. But that's a by-product of working with Lego, so I can't get too mad.

3 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

A beautiful rendition, nicely done. My main peeve is the fact the the floor is a grid throughout the ship, rather than following the shape of the rooms. But that's a by-product of working with Lego, so I can't get too mad.

I agree, it is absolutely brilliant with so many details. In the smaller 'in-scene' shots the floor works well but it doesn't quite fit in the larger picture with the roof removed. The only other thing I can think of constructively is the lack of doors. I know that it takes up a lot of space and going without is probably best at this scale, but an open plan engine room and workshop might get quite noisy :wink:

Great job overall though!

Phew, what a relief! For a moment I was convinced that either you or me were suddenly going color blind or were suffering from some acute memory loss. Because that's not the color scheme I remembered the Ebon Hawk having! I should have known this wasn't that ship though, since you put an interesting spin on various aspects of it!

Because while you adhered quite closely to the shape and even to the interior layout, you went the extra mile with the detailling. I love the color scheme you have going with the thin green stripes (any reason why at the back of the ship it is thicker? Maybe two thin stripes separated by some white tiles would have increased visual coherence even more?). You also did good not connecting them together in long, broad strokes, but letting the lines end in full view. I'm pretty sure that otherwise that trend would have been impossible to continue along the curved back of the ship. Now, those shorter stripes over there don't stand out and like like a conscious design decision.

Probably the best thing about the multitude of thin, short stripes in your color scheme, though, is the fact that it is echoed in the other kind of details you used to make the ship look interesting despite the relative absence of color and greebles. It's echoed in the texturing with all those tiles. The patterns created by the pentagonal and triangular tiles are a real highlight of this build.  They create a very rich yet subtle texture that's integrated beautifully. The diagonal lines are not without precedent because there are other angled parts in your ship (nice touch by the way installing those circular pieces underneath the central turret at a 45° angle to reinforce this idea and to line things up perfectly!). And the delicate grooves are not drowned out by an overly present color scheme or busy greebles. On the contrary, they are complemented by the restrained color scheme, the thin greebles and even the complementary selection of decorated parts. And if you look even closer to the ship, you see those grooves lead into even finer textures, created by the 1x2 and 2x2 tiles you carefully arranged around the hull.

I'm truly amazed at what you present here, with these descending levels of details that draw my face ever closer to my monitor. They give a great sense of scale to the ship too. You really prove that you don't need any fancy greebles to make a ship look big or interesting, and to me at least that's quite the innovation!

While the texturing is secondto none and the interior is just so pleasant to look at, I must say that I'm not entirely convinced by the shape of the ship. It feels a bit flat to me in some key areas just like the original. It doesn't really have a distinct in-plane silhouette. Of course it can be argued that's not as important, but if you're looking to improve your build, that's the only important thing left to reconsider I think as it will give more depth to the shape that will only reinforce the depth in the texture if you do it right with some delicate shaping and clear shaping. Maybe you could increase the height of the mandibles flanked by the green stripes so they protrude more and then slide into the rest of the hull. Maybe you could just raise the green stripes by a plate or a brick to keep it light. Perhaps lower the section between the engine nozzles (great way to achieve that V-shape with those new pieces!). Either raise the section with the large macaroni bricks on the side of the cockpit or make a circular or angular cutout in the pannels surrounding the windows in front of it to integrate the two parts together and not let them clash at their border as they do now. And try to do something more interesting with the shape of the cockpit and the windows than just a flat box. Maybe give it some kind of protruding jaw or go for angular shapes around the windows. These are all examples of rather small modifications, moving things by a brick here or there (which maybe sounds trivial now, but maybe is difficult to integrate with the interior?), but I think they can make the difference. They can turn your creation from a flat drawing into a bas-relief which will gain in depth because of the textures.

Hopefully this amazing build is a sign of more masterful creations yet to come. I just hope those will be good for my health. Because this creation might not have led me to believe I'm color blind or have amnesia in the end, but I had promised myself to keep it short and go to bed early today. But that's a bit of sleep I'm glad to have lost on your creation!

Impressive massive ship build! With so many details and detailed photo editing as well. The effects in the fuselage using the white new parts are very very nice!

Excellent work. I have to see it in more detail to grab some build ideas :classic:

20 hours ago, dvogon said:

Impressive massive ship build! With so many details and detailed photo editing as well. The effects in the fuselage using the white new parts are very very nice!

Excellent work. I have to see it in more detail to grab some build ideas :classic:

It'll be on display at Brickworld Chicago this June if you're there.

You got some interesting details in. I particularly like the texturing you did with the shield tiles. And it is impressive that you got such a large ship layout in there. I would probably sacrifice some of that space to guts to get better connections and shaping on the exterior, and even skipping some rooms so you can do something more interesting with the interior detailing. I would leave out the sand for your Brickworld display. It may just be some techniques that I don't care for personally, but I feel like it detracts from your build.

Fantastic build! The surface texture and detailing look great! Has a nice Corellian look to it!