On 1/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I agree the use of motor as the boiler is a clever idea :thumbup:

Thanks! :) 

Here I have next update with crane cart

IMG_20200122_222923-scaled-e157972919627

IMG_20200122_222618-scaled-e157972897865

IMG_20200122_222735-scaled-e157972916225

Now I'm working on pneumatic pump, there is really not too much space and everything is very tightly packed. I think to put it somewhere inside the platform. 

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow, what a complex technic crane! :excited:

Thanks! :classic: I'm glad that you like it!

Lifting test - it can hold and lift around 300g

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

and I don't have space for pneumatic pump unfortunately but I don't think it would be a problem for my son ;) Now it's time to place a duplo chair and minifigure inside the cab. I think it's ready for service.

Edited by Ctan

I like idea that you use crane based on ropes, since that technology is in timeline with steam locomotive. :thumbup:

Well this is one hell of a thread. I'll be watching this and all the wacky things you can do with this train. 
I like this style of technic trains!

Spoiler

How about a military cannon cart? 

Edited by Mechbuilds

I like the pneumatic system for the crane legs.

7 hours ago, Ctan said:

If you manage to add the battery as a counter weight to the crane, its gonna hold even more.

3 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:
  Hide contents

How about a military cannon cart? 

Uuuu I would love to see that :D

When it started with the locomotive and tender I was like: fun stuff, nicely put together, lucky kid.

But now with the crane cart...*oh2* that is a whole new level of engineering! Very clever, compact yet impressive crane, and all the better that you made it compatible with the DUPLO 'standard'.

Great stuff so far, would love to see now what else you can come up with. It's a really unique concept you have going here!

By the way, my kids have their DUPLO train track built in the room next to mine, I might give your locomotive a try sometime soon and run it a few laps around the track, just to see the looks on their faces:grin:

great build! I will try building a similar loco for my kids now :thumbup:

I think there is a great mix here for AFOL with kids, to come and play together :classic: should be some crossover sets like this.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:39 AM, Ctan said:

Update: maximum crane load is 0,486 kg

(with more load outriggers start breaking)

After some test with junctions and bridges.. Well.. it sometime work and sometime don't so best option is to put these guys on simple closed loop. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:52 PM, Rudivdk said:

When it started with the locomotive and tender I was like: fun stuff, nicely put together, lucky kid.

But now with the crane cart...*oh2* that is a whole new level of engineering! Very clever, compact yet impressive crane, and all the better that you made it compatible with the DUPLO 'standard'.

Great stuff so far, would love to see now what else you can come up with. It's a really unique concept you have going here!

By the way, my kids have their DUPLO train track built in the room next to mine, I might give your locomotive a try sometime soon and run it a few laps around the track, just to see the looks on their faces:grin:

On 2/6/2020 at 5:37 AM, MangaNOID said:

great build! I will try building a similar loco for my kids now :thumbup:

I think there is a great mix here for AFOL with kids, to come and play together :classic: should be some crossover sets like this.

Thanks guys! :)

I have now a bit of free time and I'm thinking to build Leopold or Dora because it shouldn't be too complicated to build. Just imagine 2 pararell Duplo tracks for Dora :pir_laugh2:

I have an .io file for the train so if you like to have it just let me know. 

What a great way to build nice train from technique to build for the Duplo.

Do you have any other files then the animation so that we can generate building steps?

It is really time consuming to go back and forward to figure out where is going to be placed and so.

What an awesome project, thanks DHal for bringing this old topic up again. Otherwise, I would've probably missed this. My son loves Technic, and he loves to lay out huge train layouts as we have a lot of Duplo train tracks. Thinking of rebuilding your nice MOC :)

I'll look for the files this week, they should be somewhere as far as I remember. 

This is exactually what I have been wanting to make for my lego city (to be), but it will be a modern style tram that runs on duplo track rather than a steam engine.

The only hitch is, trams have a very low ground clearence so there will be some thought needed on how to motorize it in a way that also hides the electronics.

I don't know if an RC train unit with technic axles and spacers behind the wheels is better, or a normal lego motor setup such as PF L motor or spike prime small angular motor.

Edited by SNIPE

On 10/25/2022 at 2:56 AM, SNIPE said:

The only hitch is, trams have a very low ground clearence so there will be some thought needed on how to motorize it in a way that also hides the electronics.

I don't know if an RC train unit with technic axles and spacers behind the wheels is better, or a normal lego motor setup such as PF L motor or spike prime small angular motor.

you ca make classis tram that has raised floor like this one:

201-n.jpg?width=737&height=432&mode=crop

it doesn't have to be a low floor...so you have lots of space for electronics 

On 10/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ctan said:

Hi, here's what I've found - it's probably latest version I have. 

https://bricksafe.com/files/Ctan/duplo-technic-train/train-1.0.io

Have fun :wink:

Thanks a lot! What a cool project this is. I built it yesterday but realized I need an extension cable to connect the motor to the battery box in the coal wagon. Furthermore, it seems that the newer Duplo tracks (the grey ones) have much more clearance under the bridge. I have lots of the old (black) tracks, and the bridge has much less clearance, so the locomotive doesn't fit under it at all..

Very creative design!  Congratulations.

I have designed various DUPLO train track accessories (turntable, larger radius curved track), but was not happy with the limitation on rolling stock.

Your project gives me another approach. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, phildc said:

Very creative design!  Congratulations.

I have designed various DUPLO train track accessories (turntable, larger radius curved track), but was not happy with the limitation on rolling stock.

Your project gives me another approach. Thanks!

Thanks! :) 

anyway it would be great to replace pulleys with 3d printed duplo wheels because it’s impossible to get the right distance to fit the tracks. My train work good only on closed loops. The intersections are rather problematic and it sometime can derail. 

2 hours ago, Ctan said:

...  anyway it would be great to replace pulleys with 3d printed duplo wheels ...

Good to know there is a problem, and maybe a solution ?? But, it is another project ... will keep it in mind.

I am currently designing a wheel that will fit on a LEGO-build  locomotive, to run on DUPLO tracks.

Phil.

ld-whe10.jpgld-whe11.jpg