Hi, my son wanted a new train (and it have to be green). It have to fit it to Duplo rails so let's begin with a concept. I have measured dimensions, later build a simple cart and it should work well. Probably source of power will be 9V battery with PF connector, and PF switch to start the engine. There is not too much space for something else. Other idea is to build coal cart and place Lego LiPo battery there.

dup1.jpg

(Yes, black 12t gear should be opposite side) 

dup2.jpg

dup3.jpg

Edited by Ctan

Very nice! The motor doubling as boiler is indeed very nice and I like especially the departure from the usual "very adult construction equipment or fast car"-style that's most common in Technic.

Just a thought, will you allow your kid to play alone with it? And what if they start to disassemble it?

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

This is very interesting! I like how you used the XL motor as the boiler.

Thanks, it was my first choice because there it resseble boiler pretty well :classic:

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

Very nice! The motor doubling as boiler is indeed very nice and I like especially the departure from the usual "very adult construction equipment or fast car"-style that's most common in Technic.

Just a thought, will you allow your kid to play alone with it? And what if they start to disassemble it?

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's totally different from usual adult stuff :pir-classic:

I won't let kids play alone with it because of XL motor without 24t clutch gear. Unfortunately train is not braced enough to avoid easy disassembly. So only play with supervision. (I like playing with trains too :pir_laugh2:

Ok, so about the train - I've build it and tested. Train have lot of torque and enough grip to cross the Duplo bridge. I think it need coal cart addition to place Lego LiPo battery and place switch. Also black angled #5 connectors will be probably used to decorate and hide boiler a bit. Anyway I'll keep you updated :) 

Nice idea !

Feel I right ?

You have to Change one of the 12´ gears , the axles drive in different directions .

Edit : you wrote it between your pics ...

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

2 hours ago, Ctan said:

XL motor without 24t clutch gear

If you really are using a 9volts battery this won't be an issue.
It will have no power at all, these batt's are made for milliamps only
Downside is that it will run a few minutes before the battery runs empty.

That's something different and original. You could extend the engine and add a battery box and make several coaches too. A great idea!

Hope it runs well

H

9 hours ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

Nice idea !

Feel I right ?

You have to Change one of the 12´ gears , the axles drive in different directions .

Edit : you wrote it between your pics ...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :pir-classic:

7 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

If you really are using a 9volts battery this won't be an issue.
It will have no power at all, these batt's are made for milliamps only
Downside is that it will run a few minutes before the battery runs empty.

I mean 9V LiPo 400mAh battery with usb charger (it work pretty well even with XL motor), it's not a beast but for this kind of application is a good one. Anyway finally there will be Lego LiPo on coal cart behind the train.

6 hours ago, I_Igor said:

You can put battery box in tender...and for front wheels use drive use this part

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=87408&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

Idea is really cool how to integrate technic and duplo

Like here

https://pin.it/pzlwbgkkklz5gj

Wow, thanks for this pinterest link, I've changed roof to red after just because it look much better.

Yes, part 87408 is great for this job but there is not enough space. After testing train on kids everything work fine.

1 hour ago, Horace T said:

That's something different and original. You could extend the engine and add a battery box and make several coaches too. A great idea!

Hope it runs well

H

Thanks! You know, my kid asked for it, so I took this challenge :pir-sweet:

About the model - battery (Part 84599) will be placed on coal cart behind the train as on picture (coal cart is in progress)

Cartoon-steam-train-vector-material-5566

IMG_20200119_201720-scaled-e157946361726

IMG_20200119_201217-scaled-e157946363353

Battery is temporarily placed on the back

IMG_20200119_200734-scaled-e157946364758

IMG_20200119_200749-scaled-e157946366285

Ok, I'm after kids test.

So here are some thoughts

• Train is very realible
  • Train is braced enough, it can survive a lot.
  • XL motor is enough to pull lot of additional carts
  • Duplo minifigure fit inside train without any problems (it have 4x4 plate as a seat)
  • My son is very happy with it, so challenge passed.
  • Train work well with Duplo tracks, it can pass bridge, crossings etc.

To do:

• coal cart
  • connection between train and cart
  • chimney color change
  • digital file
  • paint pulleys in red (just realised how rare and how expensive are red pulleys :pir-oh:)

Choo! Choo!

Edited by Ctan

Looking forward to see tender, but I suppose you will use green panels 5 x 11 on red chassis, but the most important thing is that - "My son is very happy with it, so challenge passed."

19 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Looking forward to see tender, but I suppose you will use green panels 5 x 11 on red chassis, but the most important thing is that - "My son is very happy with it, so challenge passed."

Yes, it's a good idea but I have only 3x11 panels and lot of 1x13 lift arms in green but I think they also will work. 

Tomorrow I promised to build a cart so soon I'll have some pictures. 

And here are red pulleys (they act only for decoration purposes and never hit the ground so I painted them in red. Original red ones are waaaay to expensive and rare.

IMG_20200119_213932-scaled-e157946673181

Oh my goodness ... usually I hang out in the TrainTech and Mindstorms forum ...

Wow. This is incredibly nice. I am totally in love with your engine. You know, I came back from my dark ages when our first daughter was born - 1996. And I thought in 1997 that Duplo is the way to go ... there are a lot of tracks up in the attic. And I will for sure get them out and will try to build a copy of your beauty, when you don't mind. 

What a brilliant idea - Technic and Duplo. This is true LEGO Freestyle!!!

Congratulations on your wonderful idea, and your fantastic achievement.

All the best
Thorsten

Here's a quick video how it work:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Coe42E91EMVch7GH6bhBPtfHGE5jh5bw/view?usp=sharing

And here some pictures:

dup5.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, I_Igor said:

Looking forward to see tender

here you have it:

dup4.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Haha, did you use an airbrush to paint them? I am just learning how to use mine with Tamiya acrylics. Luckily I have one original red one already.

Airbrushed with Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red and later sealed with satin varnish. When it dry for 24h it's durable enough. And yeah, I've seen that only one red pulley in set was released long time ago so now it's pretty unique stuff.

22 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I wonder if he knows Thomas! LOL 

For sure! :pir-grin:

6 hours ago, ArsMan064 said:

Wow! This is really original! Great idea

Thanks!

Cool, now you are on the right path to infect your kid with Technic :wink:

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Cool, now you are on the right path to infect your kid with Technic :wink:

That's the plan :pir-classic:

Here are some renders of finished train, coal cart will be done later because it also need some improvements there and there.

FletztO.gif

duplo-technic-train-v1.png

UntitledModel.jpg

duplo-technic-train-v1_2.png

duplo-technic-train-v1_3.png\

duplo-technic-train-v1_4.png

Edited by Ctan

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

cool animation, perhaps a bit to fast

you're right, it was my first try with stud.io animation module and I didn't know what vaule is better - here is a bit slower:

6N7i0EW.gif

If I didn't know any better I would have thought that you are infected with Duplo :grin:

Good work!:classic: do you have a video of train?

By the way, we have similar contest in our RLOC LTR.

Some models have gears instead of train wheels - yeah, not every technic fan have train parts)

K8a7c8CJ5C4.jpgGmC8tmrvf_8.jpgRJVZBfVUlbc.jpgph_qioznVLI.jpgzkl8YOcAhq0.jpg5_lmZOoDZtQ.jpgDey-j2sTyAk.jpgqElwtwLrQe4.jpg7O7C5ETtaeM.jpgwlUjNSp29XQ.jpgqEkBQWddW0U.jpg

All contestant photos https://vk.com/topic-40661157_39227788

4 hours ago, rm8 said:

Good work!:classic: do you have a video of train?

Thanks! Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Coe42E91EMVch7GH6bhBPtfHGE5jh5bw/view?usp=sharing

Also thanks for the inspiration! I'm a technic fan the most, actually I don't have any train wheels (not counting 42082 bearing) :wink:

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

If I didn't know any better I would have thought that you are infected with Duplo :grin:

My 3yo son have lot of Duplo and I have ton of Technic so it's a great way to combine these two. Actually I don't have too much System stuff. Let's say around 1% of collection are "regular" bricks :pir-grin:

Edited by Ctan