13 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, The modded model I shared has a lot of floating parts so wouldn't be possible to build , I have just this minute finished building the full original digital model in LDCAD (the file I shared above was based on somebodys reverse engineered STUD.IO (studio) digital model.

If you are able to wait a little, I can try to add my mods to the full LDCAD file thus I would therefore be able to give a final addon parts list (some parts that are removed from the original will be used for the mod).

As for the drivetrain, If I made it floating then the drive motor would also need to move up and down as well as the driveshaft and the wheel axles. So instead I am using pivoting axles with suspention. I plan to utilize the 3x3 technic biscuit joints and 7x11 frames as a wrapper for the motors and mechanisms, while being structural to other 'frame exteral' things too.

Regards, Snipe

sorry for the follow-up but i have a question regarding the differentials:

I've loaded the model in LDCad and notice that in place of the 2-part differential there is a red 28 cog wheel 46372 and 2 pieces 98585.

Is this an error on my part or a placeholder ? (i am experienced with CAD Programs in genral but still learning LDCad)

Would this also work with the 62821b differential actually ? (i assume then the 12-cog wheel 32270 would need to be changed to 32269 20 cog but that would change the gear relation then)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, its just a  representation of the new differential that are in set 42109. The cog in that set has a half pin hole but is not in LDCAD yet. the two gray technic discs are the differential case.

Yes the old  62821b  differentials should work assuming you add 3 inner bevel gears instad of the 5 inner bevel gears that the new differential has. However this compatibility may unintentionally be lost as my modded version is developed.

Today I am building the original set with real bricks then seeing how I can add my mods to it.

Edited by SNIPE

33 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, its just a  representation of the new differential that are is set 42109. The cog in that set has a half pin hole but is not in LDCAD yet. the two gray technic discs are the differential case.

Yes the old  62821b  differentials should work assuming you add 3 inner bevel gears instad of the 5 inner bevel gears that the new differential has. However this compatibility may unintentionally be lost as my modded version is developed.

Today I am building the original set with real bricks then seeing how I can add my mods to it.

right, that's what i thought - the new differentials are in the unofficial part database for LDCad actually ;)

can you share the full LDCAD file of the original model or is it a no-go ?

Edit: is there any specific reason you are using the small turntable to connect the drivetrain frames ?

Edited by Jasseji

Sure,here you go.

I will take a look in LDCAD and use the real differential parts :)

Regards, S.

Sorry @M_longer i think we kinda hijacked your thread here :) i wanted to ask - how long is the list of additional parts for your modification (if you have calculated it already) ?

On 2/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, Jasseji said:

(if you have calculated it already) ?

No, I am finalising instructions for the CLAAS Scorpion telehandler, 42108 mod is next on the list.

7 minutes ago, M_longer said:

No, I am finalising instructions for the CLAAS Scorpion telehandler, 42108 mod is next on the list.

Great, i cant wait, i mostly wonder how you worked the steering around the outriggers in the front - i got the back mostly figured out and parts are on their way but i am baffled how to handle the front part (meaning, the steering gears are in the way)

2 hours ago, Jasseji said:

but i am baffled how to handle the front part

I am really curious if you have figured out how the outriggers itself work :D

On 2/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, Jasseji said:

Edit: is there any reason you are using the small turntable to connect the drivetrain frames ?

Yeah I literally fitted the 7L gear racks just now and forgot that the darn mini turntables would get in the way of the steering axle. The steering axle cant go up any further either so im in a very deep hole now and am trying to think of a fix.

The mini turntables allow for the pendular suspention whilst supporting the axles. I just don't believe LEGO sometimes!:wall:

Edited by SNIPE

10 hours ago, M_longer said:

I am really curious if you have figured out how the outriggers itself work :D

I am lazy and ordered the outriggers from 42043 and i hope i will be able to use them (at least the back should work), the retracting mechanism i found something like this but it's not my priority:

http://www.ichibantoys.com/blog/lego-technic-building-tip-motorized-extendable-outriggers/?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=Social

If it doesnt work then i wait for your design ;)

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

If it doesnt work then i wait for your design ;)

They will be much more wider than the carrier. I have made more compact version.

10 minutes ago, M_longer said:

They will be much more wider than the carrier. I have made more compact version.

yes, 2 studs on each side, i know but my 4-year old needs at least the back outriggers because he plays with it constantly :D i can always rebuild it with your version later on ;)

Ugh small update,

I ordered the 4 of the new female CV joints since I have 4 aleady from set 42099 but the seller only shipped two, whatever so I got a refund.

But worse than that is the stud shooter cores DO NOT infact work at all, they dont clip into place and are too wide to build around while keeping room for the suspention compression.

So I have to use the awkward to work with 41680. I have got the drive and steering working but the gears for drive are quite noisy (rough).

Suspention needs cramming in somehow but I might just wait for the new springs of the 42107 springs and maybe disc brakes.

Only the drive has been tested, not the steering or suspention but I think I have made this same assembly before for the 42078 garbage truck B model mod.

The assembly is quite weak however, again as a result of the 41680 parts.

here is my progress anyhow:
640x427.jpg

LDR file

42108mod.jpg

My version of 42108 mod

WIP-playable 42108

Original model is to boring for playing. don’t have fake engine, latch mechanism is bad.
So I trying to improve those.
Function
Chassis - finish
V6 engine and differential in third axle
HOG steering moved to back of chassis
Original HOG change to release front outrigger
Crane
Remove blue 20t gear from end of boom
Remove all latch mechanism and change to distribution gearbox
Winch and boom extension now using worm gear

Interesting! I just got this model and I'm not really an experienced modder. I was thinking of using the left HOG knob to release both front and back outriggers, not sure how would I do that though. I also find the outriggers really bad at holding the crane in place, so I would like to review those as well.

I like what you did on the boom with the worm gear, quite clever! Did you just lowered the axle or added an extra layer of bricks to bring the serrated lane?

8 hours ago, Xour said:

nteresting! I just got this model and I'm not really an experienced modder. I was thinking of using the left HOG knob to release both front and back outriggers, not sure how would I do that though. I also find the outriggers really bad at holding the crane in place, so I would like to review those as well.

I have modified the outriggers:

5 hours ago, M_longer said:

I have modified the outriggers:

Hi there! I saw your post and I believe your Rebricable instructions. However, I'm working with very, very limited availability of pieces. My childhood Legos got burnt in a house fire quite a few years ago, and I was able to salvage about 30% of them. 42108 is my very first set in about 20 years, so I still have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm debating whether to get either 42097 or 42094 as a second set to get some more pieces to work with (both of these are extremely overpriced over here, but those are the sets available in the local market, so there is that).

Anyways, that said I do love what you did with the outriggers! But for now, I guess my first step will be to make all four of them deploy at once. That should be challenging enough for someone that has been away from the Lego world for over 20 years! Thanks!

@M_longer thanks for the tip!

@msk6003 are you planning to release instructions? If not, may I get some pictures on the gearbox and the right side of the boom? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Xour said:

@M_longer thanks for the tip!

@msk6003 are you planning to release instructions? If not, may I get some pictures on the gearbox and the right side of the boom? Thanks!

Yes. I will release instruction. Maybe all part I used is not rare but I don't know well.

1 hour ago, msk6003 said:

Yes. I will release instruction. Maybe all part I used is not rare but I don't know well.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

I have just finished B model for this set, DAF CF-like truck, made only with pieces from 42108 set. It comes with HoG steering on front axles (with working steering wheel), liftable container sliding frame and winch with lock. Can work also as a regular #dumptruck
I tried to add as many details as possible within given range of parts. Truck comes with detailed exterior, doors can be opened too.

1280x1280.jpg

1280x1280.jpg

1280x1280.jpg
1280x1280.jpg

With my 42078 Snow Plow:

1280x720.jpg

@SNIPE how weak is your solution with this part

41680; does it work better with 28 tooth bevel differential from 42078 set?

Sorry for question about something that you made over month ago...

Thanks for your time