42108 rework in progress

Let's face it - 42108 is not a great set, superstructure functions work quite well, but those outriggers used in the carrier do not fit overall scale and needs of this crane.

I have been struggling with creating of compact and rigid outriggers for carrier of this set, but finally i managed to make one. Now I only need second set of those outriggers in front.

The plan is to completely rebuild half of the model, almost everything from turntable down.
So there will be four outriggers that can be moved in pairs independently, new frame and completely new cab with mirrors, not present in a stock set. The chassis will be extended by few studs to fit all of those new outriggers bracings.

82122795_2620875931491097_14162716377240

I really glad this topic is here. I am finishing today this model. And with all my love to the machines/cranes I have to say, it is nice model, but much beter part pack (which is also completely fine with me).

@suffocation chain is not usually the best idea, example is steering in beautiful telehandler made by @functionalTechnic that I use as "idea spender" for my telehandler, but got sticker so probably red 16 or blue 20 gear with clutch would be better solution. I agree with @M_longer that it is not much of a set and to expensive even for parts pack...

For one evening job to make this I can only take my hut off :classic:

Heres my current work in progress, feel free to use it.

I need to connect the suspention of course and a bunch of other things but I have incorporated a cool way to add very compact steering+drive using the new femal CV joints thanks to @Zerobricks in this thread.

I also incorpurated the new 42109 differentials. If the 6 stud shooter cores turn out to not work I have an older steering solution that is just as compact too but its a little harder to work with. I have used it before though so tried and tested. I have yet to buy those 6 stud shooter core pieces.

KAA9E9f.png

I also addad a knob for the turntable and a drive motor but the motor is very 'bodged on' currently adding a mini V6 or V8 behind the cabin will be easy though for sure.

I hope to also add a steering motor and be able to tilt the cabin which also lits the boom, like how the 42098 car transporters tilting cabin lifts the upper desk.

Here is the LDCAD file

Regards, Snipe

So I have made a large progress today, main part of the frame is finished. At cost of 2 studs added to overall width of the model (at outriggers ends) we have a completely redesigned chassis with retractable outriggers, instead those tiny stock ones.

I am considering complete cab rebuild, because everything on the carrier is held by few pins only.

How should it look?

@M_longer I think it should just be the standard Liebherr mobile crane cabin, nothing too fancy. Perhaps something that looks similar to 42009 or 8053

Edited by Bartybum

Now we are talking @M_longer! Looks very promising, great job. For the cabin, I recommend complete redesign to bring the scale back again. I think, here something similar to 8053 would be more proper / coherent.

It looks very interesting, I am looking forward to more info about your modifications of 42108.

Edited by keymaker

It seems that I have finished the redesign process:

800x800.jpg

This mod uses same chassis as the original set (same axles, same steering links etc). The fun begins one stud above the wheels, where complete mechanisms for retracting the oustriggers had to be squeezed. There are twelve 3L universal joints and two CV joints used to acomplish smooth an pararell movement :)

Outriggers bent a little (it seems that whole chassis has doubled its weight), but are able to lift the model off the ground.

Main turntable was placed on stud higher, thanks to that front cab (being now narrower by two studs) has better proportions and resembles the real cranes better.
Overall look is basically a mix of Grove/Liebherr cranes.
Revolving lights are still used to steer the model, but are placed a little wider, making them easier to use.

And, finally, this crane has side MIRRORS!

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

800x800.jpg

Comparison with stock carrier:

800x800.jpg

Go with more yellow. ;)

Really great upgrades, no question about it. Any chances for instructions or other ways to recreate changes you made in 42108?

Just now, keymaker said:

Any chances for instructions

Yes, but not now. I have received my BL order and I am starting verification of instructions for this little thing:

10 minutes ago, M_longer said:

Where? I tried to keep original colours.

On the chassis.

42108 is too black too.

2 hours ago, M_longer said:

Yes, but not now. I have received my BL order and I am starting verification of instructions for this little thing:

I want this one!!! Then can you make his harvester??

4 hours ago, Anio said:

On the chassis.

42108 is too black too.

liebherr-lwe-LTM-1090-4.2-aepfingen-kies

I think 42108 got it mostly right. This Liebherr actually has a mostly gray/black chassis.

Great job @M_longer In fact, it should have been designed that way from the beginning. You just have to build a decent model B now. :wink:

Edited by fosamax

On 1/20/2020 at 1:14 AM, SNIPE said:

I need to connect the suspention of course and a bunch of other things but I have incorporated a cool way to add very compact steering+drive using the new femal CV joints thanks to @Zerobricks in this thread.

I also incorpurated the new 42109 differentials. If the 6 stud shooter cores turn out to not work I have an older steering solution that is just as compact too but its a little harder to work with. I have used it before though so tried and tested. I have yet to buy those 6 stud shooter core pieces.

I also addad a knob for the turntable and a drive motor but the motor is very 'bodged on' currently adding a mini V6 or V8 behind the cabin will be easy though for sure.

I hope to also add a steering motor and be able to tilt the cabin which also lits the boom, like how the 42098 car transporters tilting cabin lifts the upper desk.

Here is the LDCAD file

Regards, Snipe

Nice to use new differential and oscilated axles :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

On 1/20/2020 at 1:14 AM, SNIPE said:

KAA9E9f.png

Here is the LDCAD file

Regards, Snipe

Cheers, this is exactly what i was looking for, with this rebuild i think a full motorisation might be possible :)

The steering i'd love to see and of course how do you plan to connect the suspension?

i notice that the drivetrain is bolted to the upper chassis in the back and front - wouldnt it be better to use some kind of free floating thing so the drivetrain is only connected vie suspension?

Any idea how to get the list of addon parts required ? I just got this set for my kid, he is too small to build it by himself but i believe he will be able to play (and even better if i can manage to make some kind of RC, at least partial)

Cheers and great design

Just now, Jasseji said:

Any idea how to get the list of addon parts required ? I just got this set for my kid, he is too small to build it by himself but i believe he will be able to play (and even better if i can manage to make some kind of RC, at least partial)

Cheers and great design

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, The modded model I shared has a lot of floating parts so wouldn't be possible to build , I have just this minute finished building the full original digital model in LDCAD (the file I shared above was based on somebodys reverse engineered STUD.IO (studio) digital model.

If you are able to wait a little, I can try to add my mods to the full LDCAD file thus I would therefore be able to give a final addon parts list (some parts that are removed from the original will be used for the mod).

As for the drivetrain, If I made it floating then the drive motor would also need to move up and down as well as the driveshaft and the wheel axles. So instead I am using pivoting axles with suspention. I plan to utilize the 3x3 technic biscuit joints and 7x11 frames as a wrapper for the motors and mechanisms, while being structural to other 'frame exteral' things too.

Regards, Snipe

5 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, The modded model I shared has a lot of floating parts so wouldn't be possible to build , I have just this minute finished building the full original digital model in LDCAD (the file I shared above was based on somebodys reverse engineered STUD.IO (studio) digital model.

If you are able to wait a little, I can try to add my mods to the full LDCAD file thus I would therefore be able to give a final addon parts list (some parts that are removed from the original will be used for the mod).

As for the drivetrain, If I made it floating then the drive motor would also need to move up and down as well as the driveshaft and the wheel axles. So instead I am using pivoting axles with suspention. I plan to utilize the 3x3 technic biscuit joints and 7x11 frames as a wrapper for the motors and mechanisms, while being structural to other 'frame exteral' things too.

Regards, Snipe

Got it, thanks for the quick reply, no rush on the files tho but it will be apprecieted (i want to build the original for manual play first anyway)

Edited by Jasseji