SteamSewnEmpire

Can you give me an idea (ballpark) of what it would cost to build something?

I've designed two locomotives recently, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to build. Such a hard time, in fact, that I am considering assembling both. 

However, I'd really need to know before I start parting them both out what I could expect them (just in terms of range) to cost. One is 1700 pieces, and the other is 2000.

Both locomotives are mostly black, DBG, and LBG - there are (as far as I know) no rare parts involved.

If I went through Bricklink and only used new parts, what's the opinion on what I could expect to pay (or expect the price per part to be)?

The total cost can have a large price range. Don't forget Lego replacement parts.

On Bricklink make a wanted list for each MOC of the parts you would need.

Then, click buy: several stores will come up with the items they have for sale from your wanted list.

You will probably have to use several stores to get everything you need, each having there own shipping costs.

As 1963maniac said, there's not enough info just based on parts count and color to give a realistic range.  What software did you use to design them?  Most have a parts list export function of some sort that can make adding to your Wanted list on Bricklink pretty quick, and then that'll give you your answer if you follow the steps she outlined above.  :thumbup:

Digitally designed models also bear a risk of containing parts/colours which are very rare and expensive unless you very carefully look up each part's cost and availability before using that part. If such a pieces show up, you'd have to carefully consider if you really, really need to use that part or if there's an alternative. For example, from what I hear, some train wheels can get pretty expensive, but there are no good alternatives except third party parts so it can be difficult to replace them.

Most used parts in Bricklink cost somewhere between 0,1 and 1€, so if you use no parts that are especially expensive (or a lot of very cheap parts), you'd end up somewhere around 200€ per locomotive - plus shipping costs.

If it was a regular build, you can use the 10 US cents / 10 p / 10 Euro cents per part. However, trains use a number of non-regular parts in the wheels, bogies, etc. Windows can also be costly, depending on what you go for.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I've designed two locomotives recently, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to build. Such a hard time, in fact, that I am considering assembling both. 

However, I'd really need to know before I start parting them both out what I could expect them (just in terms of range) to cost. One is 1700 pieces, and the other is 2000.

Both locomotives are mostly black, DBG, and LBG - there are (as far as I know) no rare parts involved.

If I went through Bricklink and only used new parts, what's the opinion on what I could expect to pay (or expect the price per part to be)?

I have looked up prices for a specific build and they ranged from 400 to 800 dollars depending on source.   This hobby can get expensive.