Captain Nemo

Licensed Lego Ideas - Support & Discussion

On 8/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, Alegrispa said:

Goddamn capitalism. Taking the fun out of everything.

Capitalism is amazing. The system gives any creative individual the opportunity to make custom LEGO products to satisfy these niche needs. Can you name a better system than that? You're not seeing the possibilities here ;)

On 8/8/2021 at 5:45 AM, jonwil said:

I think if they have a legit reason why they wont do Avatar (e.g. can't get the license or something) they should just come out and block Avatar as an allowed project.

Same with Zelda or any other IP that keeps comming up and keeps being rejected. They don't even need to give a reason why, they just need to add that IP to the list of blocked IPs alongside all the other blocked IPs.

LEGO will continue to let people make Zelda projects, even if they will never get approved. Although it may bug the fans that they keep getting teased with awesome Zelda projects, it's really good free advertising for LEGO on all of these gaming websites. LEGO has been appearing constantly on gaming news websites lately, and will continue to get this free advertising for years to come! Why stop.

2 hours ago, NickLafreniere said:

Capitalism is amazing. The system gives any creative individual the opportunity to make custom LEGO products to satisfy these niche needs. Can you name a better system than that? You're not seeing the possibilities here ;)

LEGO will continue to let people make Zelda projects, even if they will never get approved. Although it may bug the fans that they keep getting teased with awesome Zelda projects, it's really good free advertising for LEGO on all of these gaming websites. LEGO has been appearing constantly on gaming news websites lately, and will continue to get this free advertising for years to come! Why stop.

*laughs*

On 8/7/2021 at 11:04 PM, Portal Out said:

I’m super interested why they haven’t approved any of the Avatar projects yet. I can only imagine that a rival has the Nickelodeon license or something, they had to have at least tried.

As far as I’m aware, Mega Construx still has the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles license. Despite their awful distribution issues, they still added some TMNT characters under their MCX Heroes line.

Promobricks has reported a few details about the Sonic set:

• Three figures: Sonic, Eggman, Crabmeat (latter two being brick-built)
  • Eggman will have his Egg-mobile (presumably instead of the Death Egg Robot)
  • The set has been upsized from the original submission and is designed in order to reflect "a real 2D level"
  • Nexo Knights palm trees and floating rings are retained
  • January 1 release
  • 70 Euros

That sounds like a lot of changes to me. I have to say that this does sound more like a Sonic 1 collector's display set instead of the fun Sonic Mania playset which would be a little disappointing. It also sounds like they may have cut the Heavies. There is no mention of them as figures even though crabmeat is listed, and if there is a crabmeat instead of a moto-bug that sounds like a mark against Heavy Rider. I also won't be too happy if they upsized it just for the sake of charging more. :sceptic: But hey, I'm sure that the model will still be nice....

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

I made this project as a collaboration with my girlfriend - LEGO Chia Pet. It was all her idea! She had the idea for a few years and lately we decided to finally make this thing. My girlfriend downloaded Studio and was able to get started with it pretty quickly. I finalized her designs and sculpted those animal faces the best I could. She also did all the graphic design for the whole project.

ktvopqxwu8p71.png

And she did a fantastic job here with this growth animation:

m4v8nmwgw8p71.gif

On 8/4/2021 at 1:07 PM, Alegrispa said:

So an Avatar: The Last Airbender tabletop roleplaying game started a Kickstarter today, and they reached their 50k goal in 16 minutes. They're currently sitting at 1.6 million (Update: now at 2.2). For a tabletop game.

Avatars popularity can not be understated, and this is before the Netflix show has even started filming and before Avatar Studios has given us anything. So the Ideas team now had the opportunity to make a set twice and if they chose not to do it, I hope they're kicking themselves.

But then again, we don't know wether it was their descision not to make the set, or if it was an issue with licensing, because they're still not giving us any insight into the selection process.

In recent years TLG has let me down a lot. Ideas especially.

(I'll eat some of my words it if turns out they're actually reviving the theme, still generally disappointed with the Ideas team and the direction the company is headed in as a whole)

A key question regarding the Kickstarter boardgame is did they negotiate a license BEFORE soliciting funds via kickstarter. Because a lot of ip owners are starting to take issue with that sort of thing. 

But yes there likely would be some decent interest in a nice TLA set. 

2 hours ago, Faefrost said:

A key question regarding the Kickstarter boardgame is did they negotiate a license BEFORE soliciting funds via kickstarter. Because a lot of ip owners are starting to take issue with that sort of thing. 

Yes. It’s an officially licensed game that sought funds through Kickstarter, and they raised $9.5 million with a goal of $50,000.

So, definitely an indicator of people willing to pay for Airbender/Korra merchandise.

I have a new Ideas project just gone live, and support / sharing-of would be much appreciated. 

ZZ TOP & ELIMINATOR HOT ROD - 50TH ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTE

51551735794_21bc0a3860_c.jpg

That little ol' LEGO set from Texas...
A LEGO idea I've had floating around in my head for years. The untimely passing of ZZ Top's bass player & vocalist Dusty Hill in July 2021 got things into gear. It's also the 50th anniversary of the band, and what better time to celebrate all things Texan Blues?
This set portrays the infamous Eliminator Hot Rod owned by guitarist and lead vocalist Billy F Gibbons, which was the star of many of the band's biggest 1980s hit videos.
The set comes with the 3 classic members of the band: Dusty, Billy and drummer Frank Beard, the Eliminator hot-rod, a section of highway, repositionable band riser, classic logo billboard, and some scenery. This is a physical build, but with photoshopped decals and hole in the billboard "P" (for now). You can reconfigure the parts to best suit your display space.
"She's got bricks, and she knows how to use them".
RIP Dusty Hill (1949-2021).

tinyurl.com/zztoplego

Edited by jp-30

Prices for upcoming Ideas sets have leaked 

21333 - 159.99

21335 - 99.99

21335 - 299.99

21337 - 349.99

Speculation on what ones they may be? 

21332 is 199.99 and the Globe from what I recall seeing

Would The Office be $160? Jazz be $100? The prices seem VERY high though.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:25 PM, NickLafreniere said:

I made this project as a collaboration with my girlfriend - LEGO Chia Pet. It was all her idea! She had the idea for a few years and lately we decided to finally make this thing. My girlfriend downloaded Studio and was able to get started with it pretty quickly. I finalized her designs and sculpted those animal faces the best I could. She also did all the graphic design for the whole project.

ktvopqxwu8p71.png

And she did a fantastic job here with this growth animation:

m4v8nmwgw8p71.gif

i voted for this, awesome!

If they repeat what they did with the piano and include electronics in the Jazz set that would push the price up.

When are we expecting the Sonic set to be revealed if it's a Jan 1st release? Or has it been delayed?

Sonic looks fabulous. I grew up with Sonic 1 and 2 on the Mega Drive (Genesis in the US) and prefer it over the original submission. Although I can see why people might get upset.

Looks lovely. Really elegant. And potential to create more. Will be interested to see if the play features do anything particularly clever or if it's supposed to be largely static.

. . . Huh. The one time I wanted them to do a giant vehicle rather than a terrain build. Oh well. I’m shocked by that piece count? I guess a lot of parts went into that checkerboard ground texture. It does not look like an 1100-piece sermon size alone. 
I’m glad they included Eggman, though I was really hoping for Tails and Knuckles - but I’m not giving up yet! There are exposed pins on the end of the set, which means there’s some hope for an expansion set coming later on that might connect to it! Fingers crossed!

The project is far superior IMO

Like orders of magnitude

Edited by Robert8

While I personally prefer the final set for its iconicity, people seem to be pretty unhappy with the change. I have a suspicion it was Sega who was the deciding factor here :classic: At least though negotiations with them regarding which game to base the set on would explain why it took longer for the decision to be made