Captain Nemo

Licensed Lego Ideas - Support & Discussion

35 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Just my 2 cents’....but getting a bit tired of seeing the “building or rundown shack from <insert tv series of the month>” entries. Between the fabulous Old Fishing Store and Stranger Things (which pretty much nailed off that corner of the market), there’s not really any originality left build-wise. The phrase “inspired by” has become shorthand for derivative.

Likewise there seems to be a growing trend of lazy nostalgic license trawling and just seeing what sticks, with sets like Voltron, Flintstones, Sesame Street etc. clearly aimed at “fans” with Lego looking at return on investment rather than encouraging genuine IDEAS (the original Cusoo ethos after all).

Much prefer to see truly creative non-licensed stuff like - just a few examples - the Maze (discontinued very quickly), Working Piano (surprisingly approved but we’re in for a very long wait), Typewriter (similarly complicated but failed review) and Pursuit of Flight (for shame, Lego) but these seem more of a commercial gamble than sure-fire revenue generators, so are becoming less and less visible. Even the popular NASA space theme seems to get a free review pass on any old set these days, like the educationally worthy but oh so dull ISS.

I often wonder if IDEAS excluded all non-Lego IP submissions overnight, what we’d be left with to vote for currently. Not much I’d wager. 

It’s a sadly familiar path that has echoes elsewhere, none more so than seeing LEGO Architecture become LEGO Tourist Attractions.

The reason those get approved and sets like the maze get discontinued quickly is because they don't sell. Licensed nostalgia sets and realistic space sets are what sell to adult collectors, which is who Ideas is mainly for. Same with Architecture, iconic landmarks are what sell. Like, most people would rather have something recognizable and iconic instead of a Gothic cathedral like three people can name.

I have to say, it was a licenced Ideas set (Ecto-1) that got me back into LEGO after 20 years. I hadn't bought a set since I was a teenager (actually, it was probably my parents that bought them), and that Ecto-1 set rekindled my love of LEGO and made LEGO a LOT of money in sets I have bought since 2015. I've loved a lot of the licenced themes they have done over recent years like Ghostbusters, TMNT, Scooby Doo, Wall-E, Doctor Who, Disney, Power Puff Girls, Beetlejuice, Back to the Future, Gremlins, the list goes on and on. That said, I'd definitely like LEGO to produce more sets from their own themes like Pirates, Castles, etc. I'm hoping and praying that the Barracuda Bay sells really well and shows LEGO that there's a demand for sets based on the classic Pirates theme. 

Lego Ideas Universal Monsters:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/091e1000-869b-4882-b6ae-fbc0e7ebbdad

Lego Ideas The Munsters:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d6caa938-1564-4e18-97b6-a38b05a5db57

Both of them are Universal and Lego is starting to have a good relationship with them since Universal is said to make future Lego movies too. I hope both of them get the 10000 votes and get made, we need more spooky Lego themes. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, MatthewRC said:

Does anyone remember Dexter's Laboratory on Cartoon Network? I've designed an amazing model of Robo-Dexo 2000 from certain episodes like Let's Save the World, You Jerk! and The Big Sister.

Robo Dexo 2000 Orthogonal ViewDexter Minifigure with FlaskRobo Dexo 2000 Pilot Insert

Product idea link: LEGO Ideas - Dexter's Laboratory: Robo-Dexo 2000

360-degree rotation view video: 

I added this YouTube video to show more details of my model. I hope this is allowed.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to do this, but I had resubmitted my Dexter’s Laboratory project on LEGO Ideas at least a month ago.

New Link to Dexter’s Laboratory: Robo-Dexo 2000 Project

In addition to this, I posted a Public version of Robo-Dexo 2000’s 360-degree rotation video!

If I did anything incorrectly, please let me know. I was just letting y’all know that I resubmitted my product idea long ago.

Edited by MatthewRC

5XrPUs5.jpg

Im sure some of you may of seen this if you frequent reddit but i want to share it here as well, this is my Nooks Cranny project based upon animal crossing, if you are fan of the game or cosey looking buildings then feel free to support the project :) you can also find more images on the project page

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7268ebc2-160d-4480-8b47-6fa68fa5564a

(Tommy and Timmy uses a moulded bear head i just did a quick paint over which is why it looks a bit unlego like)

I made the Via Rail Canada - The Canadian train on LEGO Ideas. I think this IP has quite a good chance of working in collaboration with LEGO.

Check out the project and 70+ more pictures at my project page: Via Rail Canada - The Canadian

xsm0qpghn7x41.png

My other project that also has a decent chance of getting through is my Canada Post Delivery Truck. LEGO made 2 Canada Post sets in the past already, set 105-1 and set 107-2, so perhaps they could also get approval for this. The executives at Canada Post gave it the "OK" so far!

See the full project here: Canada Post - Delivery Truck

xi3yxo84wgj41.png

On 5/1/2020 at 4:43 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Any fans of Disney's 2001 animated film Atlantis: The Lost Empire around here? :classic:

Wow, love that design!

So nice to find a thread where this is allowed, thank you!  So, this is my new Ideas project - Gerry Anderson's Stingray!  Although a Thunderbirds based set did get reviewed once, I've yet to see any other Gerry Anderson shows quite make it and I think Stingray has quite an enduring appeal despite its age, so here's hoping!

Gerry Anderson's Stingray

resize:1600:900

I'd buy a Red Dwarf set in a heartbeat! That's a great build you've got going on - and doubly so for including Kochanski (it would, after all, be blasphemy to release a Red Dwarf set without KK!)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my MOC named Blue Bull. It is a fast single-seat propeller airplane. If you like the photo and you'd like to see or read much more about the model, then visit my first LEGO Ideas submission!

Thank you for stopping by and taking a look at the speeding Blue Bull :classic:

blue-bull-1.jpg

Some really great Ideas submissions in here. legoMoccer's Animal Crossing set took no time at all to hit 10k!