Hinckley

Thack Desteck—Conclusion: Zandder Earns a yeet

Anyone can post in this thread. Great game, everyone!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

The game is over! Congratulations survivors Luxxon (Kristel), Araveea (Fugazi) and Tameekys (Bob)! And also to the Oceanides (Town): Eeyara (DarkDragon), Nancy (Pandora), Marwyyn (Trekkie99), Cadd (Chromeknight), Scabowee-Wah (mostlytechnic), Mazziko (Tariq J) and Ronnan (fhomess)!

Great job Gorgons (Scum): Zandder (jimmynick), Nerrio (KotZ) and Coralaaze (CMP)!

Rules

(Deviations from the EB standard Mafia rules are in bold blue. Modified clauses have been struck through.)

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the Town (Oceanides) or the Scum (Gorgons). To win the game, the Town must kill off all the Mafia, while the Mafia needs to kill off all of the Town, or nothing can prevent this from happening (see example role PMs below) Third-Party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.

1a. This is an anonymous game and you may only post in your character account sent to you by the host. Be sure to check before you post that you are in your anonymous account and not in your main Eurobricks account.

1b. When communicating in private, you should not reveal you true identities to each other, either.

2. Each day you will be able to vote to lynch a player. Voting is mandatory. Voting should be done in the following format; Vote: Character. Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; Unvote: Character. No other format will be accepted. A majority vote is required to lynch a player. The player with the most votes will be lynched.

3. A game day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. The day will end when a majority vote has been reached. A majority being reached will not end the day. The day will continue for the full 72 hours and any majority vote that is reached can be overturned. After the day has concluded, a night stage will commence, which will last a maximum of 48 hours. Night actions must be sent to the host in the first 24 hours of the night stage.

3.5. Players may not target the same player two nights in a row, and may not target themselves. Players may not target themselves. Unless otherwise noted in your role PM, players CAN target the same player two nights in a row.

4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the night, will be revealed at the beginning of the following day.

5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to or from you in PM with the game host. This includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage. Similarly, you may not directly quote any communications that were sent to you by other players in the game. If you wish to reveal private communications, these must also be paraphrased. 

5a. The Role PM is structured for every player in this way:

Player: Your EB Profile

Character: Character name

Affiliation: Town (Oceanide) or Scum (Gorgon) or Neutral (Traveler)

Role: [Either the details of a Night Action or] Vanilla. You have no ability. Your power is in your vote! Use it wisely.

Win Condition: Either (You win when all of the Gorgons (Scum) are eliminated) or (You win when all of the Oceanides (Town) are dead, or nothing can prevent this from happening) or (Neutral's win condition)

6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread; you must always play the role given to you. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread or via PM with other players. Private discussion is done at your own risk and should be treated as part of the game.

7. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on.

8. You may not edit your posts.

9. You must post in every day thread.

10. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM.

11. Violation of the above rules will result in a vote penalty of half the required majority against you on your first offense, and the death of your character on your second offense. Violation of rule 7 will have a heavier penalty, including suspension, made at the discretion of the Games Moderator. A warning will be given upon our first violation of Rule 1. Do be careful when posting to ensure you are posting from the correct account.

12. There are no hints or clues in the day/night images.

NPC

0_tellia.jpg

Queen Tellia, Ruler of Thack Desteck

0_naryyus.jpg

King Naryyus, Dead King

0_kyrrio.jpg

Kyrrio, King's Guard

0_ddewy.jpg

Ddewy, Queen's Guard

0_killer.jpg

—, Killer-for-hire

0_proochllooeros.jpg

Proochllooeros, Ocean Shaman

Survivors

araveea.jpg

Araveea, Master of Music

tameekys.jpg

Tameekys, Master of Agriculture

The Alive but no longer playing

luxxon.jpg

Luxxon, Master of Music—Travelermet win condition on Night Six

The Dead

ronnan.jpg

Ronnan, Master of War—Oceanidemudered on Night One

coralaaze.jpg

Coralaaze, Master of Education—Gorgonpew-pewed on Day Three

mazziko.jpg

Mazziko, Master of Labor—Oceanidemudered on Night Three

nerrio.jpg

Nerrio, Master of Public Relations—Gorgonpew-pewed on Day Four

scabowee_wah.jpg

Scabowee-wah, Master of Invertebrate Relations—Oceanidemudered on Night Four

cadd.jpg

Cadd, Special Counsel to the Queen—Oceanidepew-pewed on Day Five

marwyyn.jpg

Marwyyn, Master of Architecture—Oceanidemudered on Night Five

nancy.jpg

Nancy, Master of Coin—Oceanidemudered on Night Six

eeyara.jpg

Eeyara, Master of Negotiations—Oceanidealso mudered on Night Six

zandder.jpg

Zandder, Master of Coral ProtectionGorgonpew-pewed on Day Seven

**Council titles are strictly for players to have fun with their characters.

Further info, Night Actions, feedback and writeboards coming soon! Must. Sleep. Now.

Great game Hink!!!  Sorry we did so much PMing and not enough talking in the day threads. 

So how did two people die night six???

3ma8vg.jpg

But seriously, how does one buy a Lego convention??? :laugh:

Thanks, @Hinckley for an awesome game.  :wub:

Back with more thoughts later on the Traveller role, but for now an apologies to pretty much everyone for all the lies.

8 minutes ago, Trekkie99 said:

So how did two people die night six???

That would be the Day 3 scroll that Luxxon applied to Zandder / James, which gave him a double on his role, in this case scum killer role.  Zandder, who had given me the Day 3 scroll, was able to choose what night he used it once I had applied it to his role.

Hi all! 

GREAT game Hinck! So fun as always. Sorry to have messed with your schemes by pushing the non-lynch for several days, but I truly did think it was in the best interests of town at that point. 

Loved the sets and humor in the daily tales. That style is right up my alley so I enjoyed it and kept reading even after I was dead. 

This was a heartbreaking experience... I really thought I could pull it off with Kristel's help. If only we'd pew-pewed someone early or hadn't run into Trekkie on Night Two.

Congrats town! And congrats Hinck for making such a nice MOC for this "business" thing.

Nancy/Pandora, I really wasn't fishing when I asked you about the investigation results and Cadd/Chromeknight, because at that point I was convinced Mazziko/Tariq J.

And Chromeknight really did tell me to "go check with the investigator" :wacko:

The real fishing was when i asked Eeyara/DD who was investigated on Night One, because at that point I wondered if it was Araveea/Foog. She didn't say anything.

Thanks for the fun game! I've always enjoyed your games and this was no exception.

I have to go take care of some stuff so I'll be back later, but thanks for a great game Hinck!! :sweet: And great work to you too, jimmynick, you did excellent for being alone most of the game. :blush:

Great game! Besides Trekkie, I didn't really match anyone up. To be honest, I didn't really try, it was good fun having a fully anonymous game where I didn't recognize (almost) anyone's play style. Trekkie - when playing anonymously, it's a good strategy to switch it up. Well done as well, James for nearly winning two mafia games solo at the end. It just wasn't meant to be this time. I was terrified I was going to accidentally edit my post or post in my normal account and get a penalty on the last day. 

It's not often I get to survive til' the end of a mafia game and actually win. Usually I die of incompetence. 

11 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Nancy/Pandora, I really wasn't fishing when I asked you about the investigation results and Cadd/Chromeknight, because at that point I was convinced Mazziko/Tariq J.

I did say that. 
I was frustrated there was a non grogon result on me out there and I was still getting votes. Although in hindsight you probably woulda voted for me anyway since you were the other player against the wall.

Wow Hinck, thanks for a great game, you kept us on our toes right till the end and the whole setup was beautiful! :wub: I can't wait to hear about what happened behind the scenes, but I have enjoyed playing, it was stressful at times but I don't regret one minute of it! :thumbup:

I want to say that everyone played a great game, everyone was quite active either publicly or in PM, and scum managed to survive up till the very end despite a rocky start. Kudos to you! Luxxon you were great, you definitely played your duplicitous role perfectly, can't wait to hear what your win condition really was!

Nancy, Eeyara, you almost made it till the end, so very sorry that it was you who had to go :cry_sad:. We could have ended the game earlier but after Nerrio was lynched we all became uber paranoid and we probably made a few mistakes that almost made us sink.

36 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

I did say that. 
I was frustrated there was a non grogon result on me out there and I was still getting votes. Although in hindsight you probably woulda voted for me anyway since you were the other player against the wall. 

Yeah I didn't quite trust that investigation result, because of the Traitor menace, but in the end it's Zandder and Luxxon who had you lynched. :blush:

5 hours ago, Bob said:

It's not often I get to survive til' the end of a mafia game and actually win. Usually I die of incompetence. 

Yes! You made it to the end!

1 hour ago, Fugazi said:

in the end it's Zandder and Luxxon who had you lynched.

:devil:

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Well done as well, James for nearly winning two mafia games solo at the end. It just wasn't meant to be this time.

Can't win them all but if I had pulled this one off, it wouldn't have been solo. I was counting on Foog's dreaded 2-1-1 situation to come to fruition, but Kristel just up and disappeared. But Hinck told me she felt kind of sorry about that.

10 hours ago, CMP said:

And great work to you too, jimmynick, you did excellent for being alone most of the game. 

:sweet: Awww thanks.

I'm on an airplane! I'd like to start answering some of these questions, but I want to compile all the info at once so it's not all randomly spaced out. I think trying to copy and paste all of the role PMs while sitting in the middle seat on an airplane would be a pain, so I'll do it in the hotel tonight or tomorrow morning.

I can say, though, real quick, the Traveler win condition changed from having to create parity, to having to set the balance to 3-1-1 at which point, he would exit the game. Now, if he had achieved parity, he would've been allowed to stay. OK, she. I should probably stop calling the Traveler a he now. Anyway, I changed it after Nerrio was lynched because I didn't think it was fair for The Traveler to have that uphill fight and then added the caveat of her leaving the game at that point because she would have too much power, at that point, to screw one side over or the other.

Lots of thoughts regarding The Traveler. Glad I tried it out. I think I will make some changes in the future. I'm glad Kristel enjoyed it! That is encouraging. I'm welcome to any feedback from anybody regarding the addition of this role.

57 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

But I wanted that power, Hinck

Oh, I know. :laugh:

I had it planned from the beginning that if there was only 1 Scum left before there were only 7 players left in the game, I'd offer her the change in win condition. I think there were 9 players left in the game when Nerrio got axed for being Scummy. It seemed, from reading Kristel's ruminations, that she might have shared that with you or Foog had the paranoia not been hitting everyone hard at that exact moment.

9 hours ago, Hinckley said:

I can say, though, real quick, the Traveler win condition changed from having to create parity, to having to set the balance to 3-1-1 at which point, he would exit the game. Now, if he had achieved parity, he would've been allowed to stay. OK, she. I should probably stop calling the Traveler a he now. Anyway, I changed it after Nerrio was lynched because I didn't think it was fair for The Traveler to have that uphill fight and then added the caveat of her leaving the game at that point because she would have too much power, at that point, to screw one side over or the other.

Lots of thoughts regarding The Traveler. Glad I tried it out. I think I will make some changes in the future. I'm glad Kristel enjoyed it! That is encouraging. I'm welcome to any feedback from anybody regarding the addition of this role.

Ha, that explains a lot! Changing the win condition was only fair to Kristel, but I don't think anyone would have believed her trying to explain a rule change in the middle of the game. :laugh: I'm happy with the inclusion of the role, it added more dynamics to the game and a challenge for Town to figure out what this role was about and whether the Traveler was an ally or not.

18 hours ago, Hinckley said:

I'm welcome to any feedback from anybody regarding the addition of this role.

I thought it was a great addition. For a very long time, the third party role has mostly been a serial killer. I felt as though it was a refreshing role added to the mix of things that could appear in the future. 

I'm not on a plane! I've just been busy, sorry for the late reply.

Fantastic game Hinck, just gorgeous. :wub: Love the set, love the characters, love the writing and humour and love the setup. Mostly. :tongue: 

Also, thank you for being willing to host and for all the hard work that goes into it.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:55 AM, Kristel said:

Back with more thoughts later on the Traveller role, but for now an apologies to pretty much everyone for all the lies.

I know you feel you should apologise, but lies are pretty much part and parcel of playing these games, so don't sweat it, you played really well! :thumbup: 

On 1/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, jimmynick said:

This was a heartbreaking experience... I really thought I could pull it off with Kristel's help. If only we'd pew-pewed someone early or hadn't run into Trekkie on Night Two.

Congrats town! And congrats Hinck for making such a nice MOC for this "business" thing.

The real fishing was when i asked Eeyara/DD who was investigated on Night One, because at that point I wondered if it was Araveea/Foog. She didn't say anything.

Oh man, you also played really well. I know you don't think you were being scummy, and I actually did believe at the time that Cadd really did tell you to check with the investigator (it seemed like something he'd do at that point), but please remember that when someone says they see you as scummy it's not in isolation. There's always context based on views and representations of other people, and also a summative view of what you've said and done yourself. It's not the only thing I said you were scummy for, but I get it, because I've felt wrongly accused of being scum even when I was scum! :laugh: You played well dude, focus on that.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:14 AM, Fugazi said:

Wow Hinck, thanks for a great game, you kept us on our toes right till the end and the whole setup was beautiful! :wub: I can't wait to hear about what happened behind the scenes, but I have enjoyed playing, it was stressful at times but I don't regret one minute of it! :thumbup:

This exactly. Well said da Foog.

On 1/17/2020 at 4:55 AM, Hinckley said:

I can say, though, real quick, the Traveler win condition changed from having to create parity, to having to set the balance to 3-1-1 at which point, he would exit the game. Now, if he had achieved parity, he would've been allowed to stay.

I really liked the traveller role (yay for two Ls again!) but it seemed very OP to me; it felt like almost putting the destiny of the game in one role's hands. Having to achieve parity is also basically the scum's win condition, so in some ways the role acts as an extra scum role which is also incredibly powerful, with the town armed only with an inventor, a cop and a doctor. I don't want me saying this to detract from the fact that I think scum did really well, as did Kristel too, and I also really loved the game. I'm just offering the feedback you said was welcome.

Special shout out to @Tariq j - the night you died I very nearly sent you an invention because you came across strongly as town (I see they thought you were the investigator). I sent it to Foog for a variety of reasons, but I really like the inventor role as it gives non-power roles more of the action. It's not a strong role, though, as there is a delay and you have to make sure you don't give an invention to scum, too..... :blush:  Nice one, @CMP! :laugh: 

Good game, everyone. 

On 1/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, jimmynick said:

Can't win them all but if I had pulled this one off, it wouldn't have been solo. I was counting on Foog's dreaded 2-1-1 situation to come to fruition, but Kristel just up and disappeared. But Hinck told me she felt kind of sorry about that.

If it's any consolation, I did feel bad about using you like that and I was rooting for you at the end.  I was town all the way until I sensed that I had lost Araveea's / Foog's support, and then the town vote on me sealed it. But it was pretty much too late at that stage.

As it turned out, I think you and I could have both met our win conditions at the original one still applied.  However, I couldn't undo my decision to accept the alternative win condition.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, Hinckley said:

I did thoroughly enjoy it, despite it being a mental rollercoaster.  The last day or so in particular was so nerve-wracking.  

The first thing I did when I saw my role description was to ask if I could just be a vanilla townie.  I was just kidding but at the same time it seemed quite daunting in terms of meeting the win condition and all the mechanics that I needed to keep track of.  I probably annoyed Hinckley with all the questions I had.  Thank you for your patience!:wub::wub:

For me personally, I found it quite challenging and it really pushed me out of my comfort zone.  That was good thing in the end, and I feel I learnt quite a lot in this game despite having a few games under my belt already.

On the mechanics, it was fun getting the scrolls.  I did end up sitting on most of them for a while because maximising their value also meant revealing myself to the scroll giver.  However, this gave me options in the end, like agreeing to protect Marwynn, while using the protection scroll given to me by town to protect scum.:innocent:

I was also immune to the first attempt by either side to kill me.  I think I was most excited about this because I rarely last past the second night, so I thought I might actually survive past the third.  I was a little disappointed there was no attempt to kill me at all and a little confused by the lack of kills early in the game.  The wording in the role description meant that I (incorrectly) assumed that there was a town vig.  

I told both James and town that I didn't need or want protection, without explaining why.  In hindsight, I'm not sure that I should have done so.  @jimmynick, did you think about taking me out at any point after we had made contact?

Overall, I think the Traveller role is a great addition to the game and added an element of uncertainty that had both sides on their toes.  Someone with a better scumdar than I would probably have tipped this game too far in favour of scum.   

On 1/17/2020 at 4:15 PM, Hinckley said:

I had it planned from the beginning that if there was only 1 Scum left before there were only 7 players left in the game, I'd offer her the change in win condition. I think there were 9 players left in the game when Nerrio got axed for being Scummy. It seemed, from reading Kristel's ruminations, that she might have shared that with you or Foog had the paranoia not been hitting everyone hard at that exact moment.

@jimmynick, you never queried the details of my win condition, seemingly happy with just knowing that I needed you alive and most of town dead to meet my win condition.  The fact that you didn't query it that much had me constantly worried that you would off me if at any time you felt confident that he could win without me.

I didn't tell town about the change as I didn't think there was anything to gain from it and then the paranoias set it and I sensed I didn't have town's support anyway. 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, Pandora said:

I know you feel you should apologise, but lies are pretty much part and parcel of playing these games, so don't sweat it, you played really well! :thumbup: 

I said to Mark at one point that I have to remember the my first rule of mafia - Trust no-one, everyone lies about everything in Mafia.  Although this has led to me being paranoid about just about everything!  I think in this case, it was just the volume of them!

On that, @Chromeknight, sorry for being such a bitch ignoring most of your attempts to talk to me.  I really did just want to talk to as few people as possible to minimise the opportunities for getting caught out!  I had pegged you as my fellow Aussie, which I think made it worse!

the traveller role (yay for two Ls again!)

Yes!  Real english.  I had to keep reminding myself to use just one L!

Having to achieve parity is also basically the scum's win condition, so in some ways the role acts as an extra scum role which is also incredibly powerful, with the town armed only with an inventor, a cop and a doctor. I don't want me saying this to detract from the fact that I think scum did really well, as did Kristel too, and I also really loved the game. I'm just offering the feedback you said was welcome.

I also thought that my best bet (on the initial win condition) would be to side with scum.  But I stuffed up when I investigated Marwynn / Trekkie (using the Night 0 scroll) and he turned out to be town.  So I had to rethink my strategy at that point.  However, I was still convinced for a while after the investigation result that Marwynn / Trekkie was scum, largely based on him not seeming that keen for me to help town and his interactions with Zandder / James.  I think a lot of what I 'saw' however was biased by me wanting him to be scum.  

Who had the Day 5 scroll?

Edited by Kristel

3 hours ago, Kristel said:

@jimmynick, you never queried the details of my win condition, seemingly happy with just knowing that I needed you alive and most of town dead to meet my win condition.  The fact that you didn't query it that much had me constantly worried that you would off me if at any time you felt confident that he could win without me.

There was no point grilling you about your win condition: I needed you around to get rid of the town and if I tried to bump you off before that, I'd have lost. As for what was to happen after getting rid of the town, I didn't care because I'd have won already.

5 hours ago, Kristel said:

On that, @Chromeknight, sorry for being such a bitch.  I really did just want to talk to as few people as possible to minimise the opportunities for getting caught out!  I had pegged you as my fellow Aussie, which I think made it worse!

Hey, no worries.

I didn’t read it personal. Funnily I didn’t pick you, even though time zones should have been a give away. 

Hi! I ended up being much busier than I thought I'd be. I fly back in tonight at midnight, so I will post all of my stuff tomorrow. Love the discussion! :wub:

So... what did happen on night 1? Did someone block me, or was it something else? :look: