Hi everyone. I don't come around this forum very much anymore since the lack of imagination in the last few Star Wars movies and waves of sets has made me lose interest in the theme a bit. However, when it was announced that one of the categories at Bricks LA 2020 was going to be vignettes based on Return of the Jedi, the first SW movie I ever saw (and the true end of the Skywalker saga as far as I'm concerned), I knew I had to build a few of them. I challenged myself to take a unique approach to each one. So without further ado, here is the first one:

49307099016_ba981f0d1f_z.jpg

It is a microscale recreation of the scene where Jabba in his Sail Barge is planning to feed Luke Skywalker and his friends to the mighty Sarlacc in the Dune Sea on Tatooine as a Bantha passes by.

49307099231_3f322edd4c_c.jpg

The challenge here was to get as much detail of such a large scene into a 16x16 space. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

49307303002_5d5d910f81_c.jpg

Before we continue, I must tell you something about the next vignette: It's a trap! Well, that's the title of it anyway. It's everyone's favorite space admiral during the moment in Return of the Jedi that made him internet-famous.

49335806816_24504f02e9.jpg

Meanwhile, the Battle of Endor rages behind him. I used forced perspective to get this whole epic scene within a 16x16 vig.

49335341103_3f57d1bff7.jpg

I really had to use my head(s) for this one as everything on Ackbar from his eyes and mouth to his hands is made out of minifigure heads. It is this part usage that earned this MOC the first place in the RotJ Vignettes category.

49371170208_02e0628e8a_c.jpg

The third vignette I built represents the final scene of the movie and Includes real ghosts... sort of  

49393349822_40f67d58fc_c.jpg

As the rebels celebrate their victory over the Empire on the forest moon of Endor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Anakin appear to Luke as force ghosts.

49393348692_9fd5bc7874_z.jpg

It uses the classic Pepper's Ghost effect to make the force ghosts appear. This is achieved by using Brickstuff lighting and a large trans-clear Lego panel that is at a 45 degree angle to the viewer to reflect the hidden ghost figures. You can see a video of this effect in action here.

49392674268_710b707e76_w.jpg 49393349547_a0e43961d8_w.jpg

Here is a peak behind the tree that is hiding the ghost figures to show you how it works. It's a fairly simple trick which I hadn't seen anyone use in a MOC before.

49393349372_08c1f2b4ae_c.jpg

Well, that's it. I hope you enjoyed these builds and may the force be with you!

I had you in my scope as a top-class builder for long... but you just promoted to the ultimate master tier :D I was already blown away by the sail barge vignette when I saw it on flickr not too long ago. But 'it's a trap!' is probably even more jawdropping. And I don't even have words for that ghost effect. Just fantastic. Amazing work!

3 hours ago, Oky said:

Return of the Jedi, the first SW movie I ever saw (and the true end of the Skywalker saga as far as I'm concerned)

Amen to that. And all superb builds with great part usages!  I especially love the entire look of the Ackbar vignette.

All three vignettes are nice, and I really like the ships and explosions behind Admiral Ackbar, but I think the construction of the Sail Barge takes the cake. You've got some really creative builds here, and congratulations on winning first place in the RotJ vignettes category at the show. Thanks for sharing!

You used some very creative techniques to get the looks with limited and small pieces. That Bantha is so adorable! The fact that you are able to combine an old style effect with LEGO with the Force Ghosts is brilliant to say the least.

I really like the boat piece for Jabba's barge! Also fantastic shaping of Ackbar's head! 

Thanks everyone!

17 hours ago, jimmynick said:

I really like the ships and explosions behind Admiral Ackbar

Fun fact: The ships are actually not my design, they're models from the advent calendars that I just stuck there. :wink: The Death Star is all my design though.

Wow! The Vignettes kept getting better and better!  The upside down boat was the perfect piece. Then I see Admiral Ackbar hands are those Bionicle heads (I believe). Then Peppers Ghost effect in the last one. Really brilliant!

7 hours ago, Oky said:

The Death Star is all my design though.

And that's definitely the best part of the background! Including the space battle scene gives the vignette some life that would otherwise be missing.

2 hours ago, jimmynick said:

And that's definitely the best part of the background!

Agreed. The 'Unfinished Death Star' is one of the key images from my childhood, and he's done it very niftily here.

All three are amazing with some really impressive techniques.  My favorite is the sail barge vignette - love how you've used minifigure hair for the bantha body :sweet:

Edited by Cygma

The use of the boat piece upside down for the Sail Barge is genius. Love the little attention to details here and there - the Bantha, R2 on the Barge. 

These are wonderful, well done!! That hidden mirror on the last one is extremely clever and as a fan of micro builds I absolutely love the Sarlacc pit. And that Bantha is just mind blowingly good.

Amazing work. 

I must have looked at this topic and photos about 20 times since you first posted it - only to repeat what everyone else has put because I can't think of anything new to say :classic:

I am absolutely blown away by the ingenuity of these three builds, the force ghosts are especially impressive! I would have loved to see this in person!

Incredible parts usage.  Obviously I love the reflection ghosts, but that sail barge, basing it off an overturned paddle boat!  Love it