Sign in to follow this  
Mechbuilds

[HELP!] Front axle suspension geometry.

Hi! 

I need help with the suspension geometry on a front axle.
LDD here!

And here's the pic:
mfZK0Vtl.png
It's basically a copy of the larger one but reduced in width by 2 studs. The springs are giving me an issue. Can somebody help me how to reassemble the front end? 

Also the steering arms need to be attached so there is two 20 tooth gears, one for each arm. and a 12 tooth gear in the middle. That way i can attach a servo to the middle with another 20 tooth gear + 12 tooth gear reduction for steering. I will have fake engine on top of the suspension and the servo under it. 

All i need is a way to mount the front springs kind of like the wider one.

Sharpest of you already figured out it's one of @Lipko's mocs.. The hot rod wrecker. 
I'm basically trying to make a bucket hot rod ford with the same front axle but only 2 studs shorter width wise. 
It should be theoretically possible but the springs are giving me a headache. 

EDIT:
I think i also found a problem with the front two steering arms.. It won't let the axle go up and down and sideways tilt smoothly. It will tilt slightly to the side. So it needs a completely new pan hard rod system in the front. 

Did you figured it out or did someone help you??  I did download your LDD file and I had no idea where to start!! :) 

I figured that solution myself.

But i still have issues with the axle bending forwards under load. Works much better with gray soft springs but still needs a little bit of work. Where you see the springs end, i plan on putting a fake engine behind it. The arms on the sides are for steering so a servo will be under the engine. And a fake radiator/front grille in front of the springs.. 

Space is limited and everything needs to be super compact. 
If you can come up with a mechanism that works better, i'm still on the design phase and i first want to finish a front axle that has no illegal connections and no parts bending under stress. 
I want this model to be a display piece that you can drive so having parts stressed and bent for long periods of time is a no go. 

EDIT:;

This is how the steering works:

px8B6ral.png

Edited by Mechbuilds

You're on the right track, The 5x1 steering arm needs another one next to your other 5x1 arm on the same side and one more on the opposite side of your axle. you maybe need 2 on the opposite side.

example.............=axle= or -axle=       (the = is two 5x1 arms) 

Technic, Steering Arm 5 x 1 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered
Item No: 15459

dot.gif Light Bluish Gray

15459.t1.png
15459.png
10637.t1.png
10638.t1.png
Color Images
Large Images

Lego Technic, Steering Arm 5 x 1 with Towball Socket Rounded, Chamfered

I asked @efferman for help again and he figured out a ingenious idea for a same sized front axle but a different suspension mechanism. 

Gonna build it first and check if it works for this setup. 
Reveal later. 

Revealed now!

3JANy1Ll.jpg

This is just a teaser of what's to come. 
Couldn't done it without the help of @efferman though. 
This is a heavily modified version of what he came up with but the same principle works here. 

Now i need to figure out how to put the springs behind that 5x7 frame. Will be tough but possible.