TimberBrick

Operate SBRICK Plus with 3S Lion at 12.6v max?

I'd like to operate my SBRICK plus with 3 Lion cells.  This can be accomplished by putting three Lion rechargeables and three spacers in a AA pack.  I'm worried about overvoltage damaging the SBRICK.  The 3.7 volt nominal cells come off the charger at 4.2 volts for an initial max voltage of 12.6.  Has anyone done this?  Does it work, or does it let the smoke out?

I have no SBrick , but I read very often :

Don´t use more than 11,1 V !  It will destroy the SBrick .

Use a step down converter with max 10 V - 10,5 V

I found a definitive answer from SBRICK employee Tamás Fábián of Vengit

https://social.sbrick.com/forums/topic/5/max-current-rating/view/post_id/13984

"the absolute maximum value is 11.8 Volts. This comes from the datasheet of the integrated circuit we use for driving the outputs (DRV8833). The safe operating limit is 10.8 for the same IC.

Having said that, we managed to overvolt SBricks up to 14 volts and never damaged a single one. However, do not take this as a recommendation. It's a bit like overclocking / overvolting CPUs and memory modules in a PC. Be aware that overvolting your SBrick beyond the absolute maximum voids your warranty.

What you can do is:

• Play safe, and don't run the SBrick over 10.8V
  • Accept some extra heating and reduced safety margin, and go near the absolute maximum limit of 11.8V
  • Accept the chance of immediately and permanently damage or severely reduce the lifespan of your SBrick, and run it over the absolute maximum of 11.8V.
  • Use a 3-cell Lithium Iron Phospate (LiFePo4) battery. With a maximum cell voltage of 3.65V it just barely goes over the recommended operating limit of 10.8V, and stays well below the absolute maximum."

I'm going to go the LiFe route because I think it is less likely to risk a LiPo fire.