Sign in to follow this  
Aerolight

Would like help with a buwizz test

After seeing the lego drone fly, I wondered if a plane was possible with a lower voltage like that from a buwizz. But the voltage from the buwizz in ludicrous mode is less than half of that used in the drone. (I've already ordered parts excluding the buwizz and propellers) I have build wing spars and ,when the rest of the parts arrive, stretch plastic over them to form an aerofoil, the shape is actually very good and should fly well at a 1-10 thrust to weight ratio. The weight should come in at around 750-1000 grams depending on how much reinforcement I need, so should need only 100g of thrust (seems low I know but it just shows how much more efficient planes are than helicopters). As buwizz are rather expensive I was going to wait until I have built a working glider with the motors and servos to test, but was wondering if there was a user that could test how much thrust they could get with a buwizz. I know this is a long shot due to the rarity of the good white lego propellers but thought it was worth the creating the post just encase. (Will post plane updates in a separate topic). Thanks 

Hi Aerolight - sounds like a fun project!

I can't comment on the specific thrust, but something else you need to keep in mind is range.  With a drone or helicopter it doesn't matter quite as much, but for a plane moving quickly enough to generate the necessary lift (assuming you're not building a huge & very slow powered glider design) you could quickly get outside the 30 meter/100 foot range of the bluetooth for the Buwizz.

I wonder.. Has anyone ever made a plane out of lego that works with a propeller that you have to throw with your hand but it flies only with the propeller thrust and steers with a servo? 
Is it possible? I'd love to see that one happen next!

Before radio control hobby planes, they had control line planes that flew in a circle around the operator connected to a control line that operated the elevators only, allowing the operator to dive and climb.  This arraignment may be good for testing until you solve the bluetooth distance limitation.