So I figured I would post this here to get advice from you guys that do this all the time.  

I'm wanting to to animate part of a train layout.  The plan is to have ore tippers come out from the mine and dump 1x1 rounds into a hopper outside.  The hopper would have a false bottom that hauls the bricks back into the mine.  The tippers are geared to tip and right on their own by running over a gear tile. 

But I'm unsure on the filling.  I've done alot of reading and I'm honestly confused at what to use.  I want to have the train stop and fill each tipper then the tipper shut off.  Would EV3, mindstorms, rsx ... Honestly what's the easiest to work with.   (I have no robotics equipment currently)

You can do it either way. You can even use the BLE modules. 9V and RCX is a brilliant combination of course, I did the same years ago with that combination (hopper, RCX, 9V rail/train car). If you are ok with Arduino look at @AlmightyArjen and how he pulled it off. You can also use an in-between, e.g. a Raspberry Pi that is a bluetooth master and Powered Up / Control+ / Boost / WeDo 2.0 peripherals.

I have seen his work and grealy admire it ... However I've never done anything with Arduino.  I'm hoping for a Lego solution if possible as well.

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I'm hoping for a Lego solution if possible as well.

Then go with @JopieK's suggestion of using RCX bricks. The sell dead cheap on BL nowadays and will certainly do the job. Plus, programming environments are still available for current PC/laptop hardware, along with sensor periphery.

Best
Thorsten

We are working on automating stuff with Power Up Hub and version 3.0 of the PU App.   Version 3.0 can control up to 4 hubs.  You create your custom program under the "create" selection. 

Most of us in the LUG have Powered UP.  It depends on what hardware you already have or can easily acquire and willing to spend. 

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

We are working on automating stuff with Power Up Hub and version 3.0 of the PU App.   Version 3.0 can control up to 4 hubs.  You create your custom program under the "create" selection. 

Most of us in the LUG have Powered UP.  It depends on what hardware you already have or can easily acquire and willing to spend. 

I created a custom controller for my decoupling yard ... Is that how your doing it?