Sign in to follow this  
jtlan

[MOC] Caltrain C-50-9 Caboose

Having built one of Caltrain's switchers, I decided to follow up with another piece of maintenance-of-way equipment.

dsc_1205.jpg

Caltrain inherited much of its equipment from Southern Pacific, and these cabooses (two total) are no exception. International Car Company (by then a subsidiary of PACCAR) built the steel-bodied C-50-9 series of cabooses for the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1980; the model number indicates they were the 9th order of the C-50 series.

dsc_1208.jpg

The two units reside in the San Francisco terminus on Caltrain. My understanding is that JPBX tacks them on to work trains and uses them around Christmas for a "Holiday Train" special service. Despite this, and despite the relatively large number of these cabooses owned by Southern Pacific, I found it hard to locate diagrams. Fortunately, 
the Western Pacific Railroad tacked on 6 units to the Southern Pacific order (source), and I was able to find a drawing of that to work from. 

scaled_c50-9_1024.jpg

Internally, this model is a riot of SNOT; there are studs pointing in every direction, including upside-down! I'm particularly proud of the technique I used for the bay windows, where 1 x 2 x 1 panels close flush with sloped tiles. 2x3 tiles made some details sturdier, but the real MVP is Brick, Modified 2 x 4 x 2 with Holes on Sides!

201711228_snot_block.png

Finally, for this model (as well as the MP15DC) I tried out a new "sticker" technique. Inspired by a frustrating experience with trying to cut and align sticker paper, I instead printed the caution stripes on regular printer paper, then attached them to the model with an ordinary glue stick. The longer "open time" allowed me to reposition the "stickers" slightly while applying them, making them easier to line up. Next step: printing up some gigantic Caltrain logos.

dsc_1206.jpg

The end! Full gallery here, pending moderation.

6 hours ago, legobanker said:

Nice build!  It appears to be 6 wide yes?

2 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I think I would have preferred an interior... but, then again, there's not much that could be done with 6w interiors, anyway.

Wasn't your locomotive 8w?

Rather than choosing a stud-width, I build all my rolling stock to the same scale: 15 inches/stud. Based on that, I figure out the correct width for the model. I find this makes for better models because they will all be the correct size relative to each other. Look how much larger the locomotive is than the caboose in real life:

with_loco.jpg

Another benefit is this method frees me from the mental constraint of stud-widths. In this case, the caboose is 8 studs across at the bays (as is most American rolling stock). Meanwhile, the body is 6 studs + 2 plates, a solution difficult to see if one starts with the assumption "I'm going to make this model 6/7/8 studs wide".

Great MOC! Nailed it! Lot's of good techniques here. Love the roof as well. As a side thought, and for others looking for a similar roof, with each side being three wide, you could sub in the minifigure bases for the tiling. Could actually do this on a 4 wide/side design with the 3x4 plates rotated the other direction.

1 hour ago, jrathfon said:

As a side thought, and for others looking for a similar roof, with each side being three wide, you could sub in the minifigure bases for the tiling.

I actually considered this during development, but switched to alternating 2x3 plates and tiles to capture the "corregated" look of the roof.