LegoDW

Quick question on warped Lego track...new

Just noticed a few piece of track I got in my latest purchase are warped (looks like a "u" running length ways),  Was wonder why my train was bouncing a bit now I know why.  I assume if I reach out the TLG they will replace.  Is this a common problem?  I hate to have them replace a few piece of track as assuming their costs will be high.  Guess I am just trying to figure out if this is just something AFOL live with or something out of the norm and should get replaced.

I am hesitant on reaching out for replacements as don't want to get on a "bad customer" list from TLG and when something is really wrong cannot get a replacement.   Would appreciate your thoughts.

Lego customer service is very good about this type of stuff. You can even tell them roughly what you said in your post. Also, while the track is expensive for us, they will probably spend more on postage to get the replacement to you than they do on the part itself.

I couldn't locate my tape measure, but if you push the one end down of the track down the other end is raised 1 tile in height.  If this was on carpet may not be that bad, but as on a hard surface causing some issues with my trains.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:24 AM, 1963maniac said:

Just let TLG replace them.

1 hour ago, LegoDW said:

I couldn't locate my tape measure, but if you push the one end down of the track down the other end is raised 1 tile in height.  If this was on carpet may not be that bad, but as on a hard surface causing some issues with my trains.

Again, boiling water treatment for the parts you currently have, but in the meantime order some replacements.

@LegoDW I’d say about 30 sec to a minute, depending on how severe the warping is. For example, I had a cockpit piece that had stress lines due to warping, that took 3-4 dips to get back into the correct shape. Even so, its still off by like 5%, so I’ll likely soak it a few more times.

Whats important is to have a vessel or basin large enough to fully submerge your piece(s) in, but not so large that the heat dissipates quickly. Also, the pot that you boil the water in should NOT be the same pot the bricks are in... which I learned from experience...! 

14 hours ago, LegoDW said:

This is typical deformation.  Most likely any replacements you get from LEGO will exhibit this same behavior. 

I never saw straight RC train track sections that were NOT warped.

Maybe it is intended (for whatever reason), or it is a quality issue that exists since 2006.

Edited by Carrera124

26 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

I never saw straight RC train track sections that were NOT warped.

Maybe it is intended (for whatever reason), or it is a quality issue that exists since 2006.

It's a result of how the part is designed.  The rails are thicker than the plate sections, so they cool at a different rate.  ABS shrinks slightly when it cools, so the rails contract a little, warping the part upwards at the ends.