Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG 2.0 - Mission #0: Last Of Its Kind

1 hour ago, Lord Duvors said:

Enson will attempt the following combinations:

/// My if my calculations are correct your second attempt will work. 

Enson shows the shipyard droid one design in particular...

aHj7A0w.png

The droid, scared, confused, and conflicted, heaves an electronic sigh of relief when it sees the pattern. Something known, something certain. A firm anchor in reality.

Uma7uDX.png
"...Pattern recognized. Ship dock open, ship unlocked. Have a sufficient day."

The party each gains 1 EXP for making it in!

The gate hisses as the magnetic lock unlatches, and swings open. The party steps inside, finally on the other side of the metal fence, the shipyarrd bot now happily un-hassled.

N8VhBqh.png

Jek's E-11 Dart was much like Kayarr described. Two major points were of interest, now unlocked by the shiplot security...

642uXlG.png

The cockpit, and...

febgZUY.png

A very, very small (practically a trunk) cargo hold in the back.

/// Fulfilling (KR-88) request... 

Walking up to an engine and then taking it's left arm it moves across it's body ready to make a strike... 

/// Active "Sonic Chop" attack... 

Striking the engine igniting some fuel residue. The resulting quick fire sends Tester-Three flying back spinning when it lands on it's side teetering for a second until it collapse flat... 

Hearing the familiar rebooting sounds... 

/// Do not reprogram me. Running diagnostics...sub weapon damaged require repair. 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

The droid, scared, confused, and conflicted, heaves an electronic sigh of relief when it sees the pattern. Something known, something certain. A firm anchor in reality.

Uma7uDX.png
"...Pattern recognized. Ship dock open, ship unlocked. Have a sufficient day."

The party each gains 1 EXP for making it in!

The gate hisses as the magnetic lock unlatches, and swings open. The party steps inside, finally on the other side of the metal fence, the shipyarrd bot now happily un-hassled.

OK - I cannot believe that actually worked! 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

N8VhBqh.png

Jek's E-11 Dart was much like Kayarr described. Two major points were of interest, now unlocked by the shiplot security...

642uXlG.png

The cockpit, and...

febgZUY.png

A very, very small (practically a trunk) cargo hold in the back.

I'll search the cockpit - Access the ship's flight logs, communications data, anything else I can pull from the computer. 
And remember: We're not sabotaging anything - This ship's worth more to us intact, in case. . . 

35 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Walking up to an engine and then taking it's left arm it moves across it's body ready to make a strike... 

Striking the engine igniting some fuel residue. The resulting quick fire sends Tester-Three flying back spinning when it lands on it's side teetering for a second until it collapse flat... 

/// Do not reprogram me. Running diagnostics...sub weapon damaged require repair. 

Gah! What the frell?! That could've blown the entire ship! As it is, we may have lost evidence! 
That's it - Since it seems he can't even follow basic orders, I'm going to try reprogramming Tester-Three. We don't need him jeopardising our mission any more than he already has. 

2 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I'll search the cockpit - Access the ship's flight logs, communications data, anything else I can pull from the computer. 

And remember: We're not sabotaging anything - This ship's worth more to us intact, in case. . . 

48966318642_892829535f_t.jpg

"Good idea, maybe you can open up the cargo hold from there too..."

57 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

"What are you doing?!  I thought you were supposed to be smart!  So much for being subtle."

On 1/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, Endgame said:

N8VhBqh.png

On 1/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Hopefully, we can still salvage something from this ship. I'll check. 
<Engineering En’kaas - Damage Report>

Edited by Classic_Spaceman
Language WiP.

Enson followed the rest of the group into the shipyard, having previously stood aside to let them enter. Upon finally seeing the ship he clapped his hands together with a smile on his face.

"Excellent!" he began, "Now if you'll excuse-"

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

"-oh."

He closed his eyes momentarily, a pained look crossing his face. Shaking his head he walked over to where Tester-Three was lying and leaned over the droid.

"Tester-Three," he said admonishingly, "KR-88's request was just a piece of hyperbole, he didn't actually want you to kick it. And even then he asked us to kick it, not hit the engine hard enough to explode it. You really shouldn't just use the maximum degree of force for everything you do. Now," he said extending a pair of hands, "do you need any help getting up?"

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OGah! What the frell?! That could've blown the entire ship! As it is, we may have lost evidence! 

"Well to be fair I was going to kick it my-"

That's it - Since it seems he can't even follow basic orders, I'm going to try reprogramming Tester-Three. We don't need him jeopardizing our mission any more than he already has. 

"What? No!" said Enson positioning himself between Yelana and the robot, his arms held out as if to impede her progress. "Yelana, stop that. It's fine to be angry with Tester-Three, he does kind of deserve it, but we don't go around reprogramming people just because they're not acting the way we want them to. How would you like it if someone brainwashed you to be more amenable to their desires?"

Spoiler

For real, attempting to dictate the behavior and opinions of another players character, which is what you seem to be doing, is a major breach of etiquette. You are in control of your character and no one else's.

Edited by Lord Duvors
typo

That's it - Since it seems he can't even follow basic orders, I'm going to try reprogramming Tester-Three. We don't need him jeopardising our mission any more than he already has. 

/// Failure. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

"What are you doing?!  I thought you were supposed to be smart!  So much for being subtle."

/// Fulfilling (KR-88) request. 

54 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Hopefully, we can still salvage something from this ship. I'll check. 
<Engineering Scan - Damage Report>

/// I am the one damaged not the spaceship. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"-oh."

He closed his eyes momentarily, a pained look crossing his face. Shaking his head he walked over to where Tester-Three was lying and leaned over the droid.

"Tester-Three," he said admonishingly, "KR-88's request was just a piece of hyperbole, he didn't actually want you to kick it. And even then he asked us to kick it, not hit the engine hard enough to explode it. You really shouldn't just use the maximum degree of force for everything you do. Now," he said extending a pair of hands, "do you need any help getting up?"

"Well to be fair I was going to kick it my-"

"What? No!" said Enson positioning himself between Yelana and the robot, his arms held out as if to impede her progress. "Yelana, stop that. It's fine to be angry with Tester-Three, he does kind of deserve it, but we don't go around reprogramming people just because they're not acting the way we want them to. How would you like it if someone brainwashed you to be more amenable to their desires?"

Reveal hidden contents

For real, attempting to dictate the behavior and opinions of another players character, which is what you seem to be doing, is a major breach of etiquette. You are in control of your character and no one else's.

/// Mobility fully functional... Calculating minor damage to engine would not raise suspicions... Adjustment might be needed to my programing... 

/// Yelana unit has been acting odd for an organic, maybe she is infected with a virus. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Fine! Fine. Sorry. We're just a mess, though! No plan, no coordination, no strategy - Everyone's acting like they're the only one on this mission! Myself included. . . I suppose. I'm sorry - I'm just so used to working alone
Before we go any further, we need to take a second and have a strategy-meeting. Whether we appoint a leader or make decisions as a group, we need to decide now how we're going to proceed. The way we've been running things, we're absolutely going to fail this mission. 

Kleeck shook his head at the infighting. He ignored the others and walked around the ship, inspecting it. If possible he uses his knowledge of Culture and Insight to figure out anything about the ship from the outside, as well as in the cockpit once Yelanna is done with the cockpit.

"Does anyone have knowledge of ships, or vehicles at least?  Maybe then we can gain access to the cockpit and the cargohold.  I will stand guard in the mean time."

Igaz peers at Tester-Three.  So far he has been very helpful when dealing with technological pursuits.  Perhaps he may know a thing or two about piloting?

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

"Does anyone have knowledge of ships, or vehicles at least?  Maybe then we can gain access to the cockpit and the cargohold.  I will stand guard in the mean time."

Igaz peers at Tester-Three.  So far he has been very helpful when dealing with technological pursuits.  Perhaps he may know a thing or two about piloting?

"While I do not posess knowledge of that specifically, perhaps if I can identify the cutlure of the craft makers, we could find an override. Many ships have a manual override in the event of emergency crews needing to access a crew of a downed ship."

No meeting? Really? Sigh. In that case, I’ll search the cockpit and check the ship’s computer
We are going to need to talk through our strategy eventually, though. 

/// Begin search for access "panel"... 

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

No meeting? Really? Sigh. In that case, I’ll search the cockpit and check the ship’s computer

/// Now you are starting to understand why my creator does not like organics in general, even though he is one. And the short time I have spent with organics I am starting to see his point of view. Inquiry, exactly what adjustments were you planning to make to my systems? 

22 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

The warbot gives a quick karate chop to the pack of the ship, the residue sparking and sending Tester-Three hurtling backwards with a resounding thud. A second thud soon follows, as a small chunk of the outer fuselage, rusted and rotten, finally detaches and hits the ground, scraping off some of the garish yellow paint with it. Somewhere, KR-88 felt oddly happy, although he didn't know why.

21 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OK - I cannot believe that actually worked! 

Yelana goes to the cockpit, and sees that it was unlocked, a green light on the side signifying as much. It seemed that the ship droid was programmed to act as something as a key fob as well. Convenient, if you were the ship owner. A bit dour, if you were having your ship looked at illegally. Disastrous, if you yourself were a felon and a smuggler.

The agent had access to the cockpit, and found that it was a rather dated system. A simple red leather seat, a bit worn and stained from food. Seems that Jek was particularly fond of Plenticon (TM) Stim-Cola, judging by the three empty cups gathering beneath the seat. The computer itself was incredibly simplistic, and only contained flight data from the most recent journey he had taken... a breakneck jaunt from the GLESP headquarters to the very docking spot they were in now. Inside the glove was a data tablet, apparently used for some sort of conversation between Jek and the recipient... known only in the contact list as 567086. If you were going to try to stay incognito, then numbers seemed as good a bet as any...

I'm here. I made it. Can you finally tell me where to show?

567086: Yes. Couldn't do a long range transmission. Easier to intercept.

I know. Out with it. You're wasting our time.

It's been 15 minutes, are you going to tell me or not? I can't just loiter in my ship forever.

567086: Sorry, sorry, so sorry. Business came up. You know how it is. Commerce Row. Behind the visor kiosk, there's an alley. A left, a right, a left, and against the righthand side wall part of it merely a hologram. Step through, knock on the left four times. Wait a minute. Knock again. Follow these instructions precisely, Jek.

See, that wasn't so hard. Why the wait before the fifth knock?

567086: Don't question that. Just show up as you promised. Destroy this data pad.

But it's brand new.

567086: Sorry, sorry, so sorry, Jek. But you will be able to afford a new one shortly, yes?

Fine.

19 hours ago, KotZ said:

Kleeck shook his head at the infighting. He ignored the others and walked around the ship, inspecting it. If possible he uses his knowledge of Culture and Insight to figure out anything about the ship from the outside, as well as in the cockpit once Yelanna is done with the cockpit.

A glance at the ship showed two green lights, signifying the cockpit and the back cargo hold were both open.  Using a little insight, the ornithun could tell that the bright yellow paint was obscuring a much older and more dinged up ship. Not even a new paint job could disguise the toll of time on this craft. Additionally, tapping into his own knowledge of culture, Kleek notices a four tiny red chevrons inscribed into one of the ship's engines, the texture of the paint made to mimic rust. Kleek knew that the rust chevrons were a popular symbol of a worker's rights movement that spanned a quarter of the galaxy about three deca-cycles ago. Some people still used it as a symbol of awareness, and sometimes, protest.

Edited by Endgame

On 1/24/2020 at 5:28 PM, Endgame said:

The agent had access to the cockpit, and found that it was a rather dated system. A simple red leather seat, a bit worn and stained from food. Seems that Jek was particularly fond of Plenticon (TM) Stim-Cola, judging by the three empty cups gathering beneath the seat. The computer itself was incredibly simplistic, and only contained flight data from the most recent journey he had taken... a breakneck jaunt from the GLESP headquarters to the very docking spot they were in now. Inside the glove was a data tablet, apparently used for some sort of conversation between Jek and the recipient... known only in the contact list as 567086. If you were going to try to stay incognito, then numbers seemed as good a bet as any...

I'm here. I made it. Can you finally tell me where to show?

567086: Yes. Couldn't do a long range transmission. Easier to intercept.

I know. Out with it. You're wasting our time.

It's been 15 minutes, are you going to tell me or not? I can't just loiter in my ship forever.

567086: Sorry, sorry, so sorry. Business came up. You know how it is. Commerce Row. Behind the visor kiosk, there's an alley. A left, a right, a left, and against the righthand side wall part of it merely a hologram. Step through, knock on the left four times. Wait a minute. Knock again. Follow these instructions precisely, Jek.

See, that wasn't so hard. Why the wait before the fifth knock?

567086: Don't question that. Just show up as you promised. Destroy this data pad.

But it's brand new.

567086: Sorry, sorry, so sorry, Jek. But you will be able to afford a new one shortly, yes?

Fine.

Interesting. . . We need to assume that Jek made the meeting with his contact, but I think I have an idea of what to do with this. I want to finish talking to Faeja, first, though, before we make our way back to Haurbo City. Also, I’ll hold onto the data pad - Tester-Three would probably just shoot it! 

Kleek notices a four tiny red chevrons inscribed into one of the ship's engines, the texture of the paint made to mimic rust. Kleek knew that the rust chevrons were a popular symbol of a worker's rights movement that spanned a quarter of the galaxy about three deca-cycles ago. Some people still used it as a symbol of awareness, and sometimes, protest.

Kleeck: What can you tell us about this workers’ rights movement? What do the chevrons represent, if anything
And this - 
<Xi’adat Secc’a - Playback> 

<An’yiv
Jek’s contact repeatedly uses the phrase “Sorry, sorry, so sorry” in their messages - Does this correspond to common speech-patterns from any known cultures or species? It could just be nervousness, but the repetition makes me think it’s something more. The knocking pattern, too - Could the four initial knocks be related to the workers’ rights movement’s four-chevron insignia? 

Language WiP.

12 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Well, I feel that as long as we coordinate with each other going forwards and not go around doing things without telling each other first we'll be fine. Now if you don't mind I'm going to search the trunk."

Enson will examine the trunk.

23 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Jek’s contact repeatedly uses the phrase “Sorry, sorry, so sorry” in his messages - Does this correspond to common speech-patterns from any known cultures or species? It could just be nervousness, but the repetition makes me think it’s something more. The knocking pattern, too - Could the four initial knocks be related to the workers’ rights movement’s four-chevron insignia? 

"The pattern of knocking is probably meaningless in-and-of itself, it's likely just a sign used to distinguish someone who's supposed to be there from someone who isn't. It's simple enough to be easily remembered while complex enough to be difficult to stumble upon randomly. A lot of secret organizations and societies have similar codes and signs."

5 hours ago, Endgame said:

A glance at the ship showed two green lights, signifying the cockpit and the back cargo hold were both open.  Using a little insight, the ornithun could tell that the bright yellow paint was obscuring a much older and more dinged up ship. Not even a new paint job could disguise the toll of time on this craft. Additionally, tapping into his own knowledge of culture, Kleek notices a four tiny red chevrons inscribed into one of the ship's engines, the texture of the paint made to mimic rust. Kleek knew that the rust chevrons were a popular symbol of a worker's rights movement that spanned a quarter of the galaxy about three deca-cycles ago. Some people still used it as a symbol of awareness, and sometimes, protest.

"Oh, how curious," he whispered to himself. "So where did you come from? Were you used in the movement? Was an owner a member? Were they a supporter?"

He turned to the others. "My guess is this ship was possibly stolen, or that this regime is not friendly to the worker's rights movement, and this is why there is a fresh coat of paint. There are many answers to many questions that I don't know yet."

9 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"The pattern of knocking is probably meaningless in-and-of itself, it's likely just a sign used to distinguish someone who's supposed to be there from someone who isn't. It's simple enough to be easily remembered while complex enough to be difficult to stumble upon randomly. A lot of secret organizations and societies have similar codes and signs."

Maybe. . . You're probably right, but I've learned its best not to ignore patterns and symbols. 

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

He turned to the others. "My guess is this ship was possibly stolen, or that this regime is not friendly to the worker's rights movement, and this is why there is a fresh coat of paint. There are many answers to many questions that I don't know yet."

It's definitely not stolen - At least, not stolen any time recently. I checked the flight logs - The ship came directly from GLESP, so it must've been docked there for a while. Otherwise, Vannoy would have reported that Jek also stole a ship. My guess is that this was Jek's personal ship, and that he's somehow involved with the workers' rights movement. 
This is very interesting - I definitely need to talk to Faeja again

20 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Well, I feel that as long as we coordinate with each other going forwards and not go around doing things without telling each other first we'll be fine. Now if you don't mind I'm going to search the trunk."

Enson will examine the trunk.

Enson pops open the trunk of the old Dart, and finds a machine in two pieces. The apparatus occupied the entirety of the back storage compartment. Hoisting them out and sticking them back together, an odd device was formed...

1DrsiSt.png
The yellow dome was still a bit warm to the touch, and several heating elements were located within the glass half-sphere. Written on the side of the base was the phrase "Model 9 Incubator."

10 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Maybe. . . You're probably right, but I've learned its best not to ignore patterns and symbols. 

It's definitely not stolen - At least, not stolen any time recently. I checked the flight logs - The ship came directly from GLESP, so it must've been docked there for a while. Otherwise, Vannoy would have reported that Jek also stole a ship. My guess is that this was Jek's personal ship, and that he's somehow involved with the workers' rights movement. 
This is very interesting - I definitely need to talk to Faeja again

Faeja was wrapped up in checking and labelling her cargo.

wVPvlqr.png
"Yes?"

Enson pops open the trunk of the old Dart, and finds a machine in two pieces. The apparatus occupied the entirety of the back storage compartment. Hoisting them out and sticking them back together, an odd device was formed...

1DrsiSt.png
The yellow dome was still a bit warm to the touch, and several heating elements were located within the glass half-sphere. Written on the side of the base was the phrase "Model 9 Incubator."

Hmmm. . . Scan for genetic material - That might give us something to track. Oh - And speaking of: Find that tracker Vannoy mentioned, and cross-check the data with the ship's flight log. Look for discrepancies, and make sure to download everything

By the way, remember when I said that something's off about this mission? Yeah, that. Vannoy said that Jek was a "fine worker", but "fine workers" don't join workers' rights movements. "Fine workers" do their jobs, keep their heads down, don't make noise, are grateful for whatever they're paid - That kind of thing. I don't think Vannoy would consider someone who's part of a movement a "fine worker"

Anyway, I'm going back to talk to Faeja. Send me a copy of that data, and let me know when we're going back to Haurbo City. 

Faeja was wrapped up in checking and labelling her cargo.

wVPvlqr.png
"Yes?"

Hey - I just wanted to finish our conversation, if you're not too busy. Sorry about all. . . that, by the way. Uh. Yeah, I. . . Can I sit here? 
Anyway, I think we left off talking about the Cydonian's ships - You said they decloaked five above the planet, and that the Gnorrans just handed control of the system over. What else can you tell me about the Cydonian takeover? Also, just so we're clear, the dreadnought that's here was one of the four smaller ships, right? 

On 1/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Also, I’ll hold onto the data pad - Tester-Three would probably just shoot it

/// Did someone wants me to blast something? 

/// Are we heading to commerce row now? 

14 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

No! No! Keep that frelling thing in your. . . Arm. . . ? Whatever - I have the pad with me, anyway
If you want to help, check for the tracker on that ship, and see if you can access its data. 

14 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Not yet - I'm still talking with Faeja, and I really don't think we should go that way

Hey - I just wanted to finish our conversation, if you're not too busy. Sorry about all. . . that, by the way. Uh. Yeah, I. . . Can I sit here? 

Anyway, I think we left off talking about the Cydonian's ships - You said they decloaked five above the planet, and that the Gnorrans just handed control of the system over. What else can you tell me about the Cydonian takeover? Also, just so we're clear, the dreadnought that's here was one of the four smaller ships, right? 

wVPvlqr.png
"You can sit on the one next to that box, that cargo is fragile," she explains, wiping some sweat off her brow, a bit winded from moving boxes around in the cramped space.

"Full of questions, huh? I'm running out of answers for the most part, but I can tell you a little more about the occupation... Wasn't a fun time. Yes, five ships came, cannons pointed at us. The remaining dreadnought here right now was one of the smaller ones, but the big one, well. I think it belonged to one of the Knights of Cydonia. There was a standoff, but nobody fired. On day three, The Gnorran Royal Family went up to the big dreadnought to talk to their "Great Sovereign" or whatever his title is, and... that was that. Gnorra was theirs. Whatever kind of threat they promised, they must've shown they could deliver, and that we couldn't stop them." Faeja hangs her head. The memories clearly hurt.

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

The party was free to move to Commerce Row, and chase whatever leads they had, if they were all set in the shiplot.

MM Note: Which is MM speak that I will take you there tomorrow, but there is still a little bit more details to poke around at here if you want to find them. :wink:

Edited by Endgame

6 minutes ago, Endgame said:

wVPvlqr.png
"Full of questions, huh? I'm running out of answers for the most part, but I can tell you a little more about the occupation... Wasn't a fun time. Yes, five ships came, cannons pointed at us. The remaining dreadnought here right now was one of the smaller ones, but the big one, well. I think it belonged to one of the Knights of Cydonia. There was a standoff, but nobody fired. On day three, The Gnorran Royal Family went up to the big dreadnought to talk to their "Great Sovereign" or whatever his title is, and... that was that. Gnorra was theirs. Whatever kind of threat they promised, they must've shown they could deliver, and that we couldn't stop them." Faeja hangs her head. The memories clearly hurt.

I actually have a theory about the Cydonians, but I'm wondering - Can you tell me anything else about the structure of the ships? I know - Big, grey, lots of guns - But you can often tell a culture's values and strategies by their ship's designs