Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG 2.0 - Mission #0: Last Of Its Kind

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think it would be best if I attack the Oozeling Stoic and we kill it first.  It has an Artillery attack which should not affect me as I am one square in front of it.  The others just have basic Melee attacks which should not be much of a problem for everyone else for a turn because they have to be one square in front of you to attack.

Spoiler

Well my thinking on the matter was that it would be better to spread our heavy hitters between the enemies equally. It'll take at least two hits to take down the stoic either way, whereas Enson, Igaz, Yelana, and Tester-Three all stand the highest chance of taking down the regular oozes in a single hit. Though thinking about it now it would actually work out better if Yelana changed targets instead of you. Ultimately I just want to make certain that none of the enemies get out of this unscathed because too many of us just piled onto one of them. Though I admit that I made several false assumptions about how combat worked when I made that initial post so thank you for making me go back and check.

“Egh, these are ugly little weirdos!”

Dunola fires at Oozling C at F3.

Round One of the Oozeling Bruising:

Agents' Turn:

>Yelana versus Oozeling Stoic: (0 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) =  0 damage.
>Kleek versus Oozeling Stoic: (0 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 0 damage.

>Enson versus Oozeling C: (2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 2 damage to Oozeling C.
>Igaz versus Oozeling Stoic: (1 proficiency success + 0 weapon mod successes) - (1 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 0 damage to Oozeling Stoic.
>Tester Three versus Oozeling A: (2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (0 skill successes + 0 armor) = 3 damage to Oozeling A.
>Dunola versus Oozeling C: (1 proficiency success + 1 weapon mod success) - (0 skill successes + 0 armor) = 2 damage to Oozeling C - Oozeling C is dead!

Enemies' Turn:

>Oozeling Stoic versus Tester-Three: (0 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) = 0 damage.
>Oozeling A versus Enson: (0 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) + (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 0 damage.
>Oozeling B moves to D3

The New Battle Grid:

0wiCpnn.png

The party of agents has an overall productive first round. Yelana's sniper shot goes wide of the mark, the oozeling stoic's movements surprisingly complex. Kleek also tries to singe the blob with a bolt of plasma, but the Stoic manages to absorb the attack without suffering any major damage. Enson, meanwhile, lifts his hammer and brings it crashing down on one of the lesser alien adversaries. It tries to dodge, but still gets a tentacle pinned beneath the hammer. Tester-Three levels its arm cannon at an Oozeling and blasts it away, leaving it hanging from a thread, as Igaz's lance glances off the wily Stoic. Dunola points her flamethrower at the wounded Oozeling C and pushes the trigger. A burst of hissing flame engulfs the Oozeling, and some gas inside of it ignites as the alien combusts with a satisfying pop!

The Oozelings themselves mount a somewhat impotent offense, Tester-Three sidestepping the Stoic's spit as Enson deflects a lunging Oozeling A. Oozeling B slides into position, still rather healthy.

wVPvlqr.png
"Wow, where did you guys learn to fight? You're pretty good!"

The conflict continues!

The Enemy Party:

edTNN1b.png "Fwuuurgggghh..."
Oozeling A
Vitality: 1/4
Strength: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 1/1
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 1
Equipment: Slimy Fangs (+1, Melee Kinetic Weapon), Sickening Radiance (Spell)
Drops: Plasma Potion x3

edTNN1b.png "Mlem!"
Oozeling B
Vitality: 4/4
Drops: Nanite Philter x2

AOeLHvo.png"...ssssss..."
Oozeling Stoic
Vitality: 7/7
Strength: 2
Skill: 2
Proficiencies: Artillery Weapons 1
Equipment: Slimy Fangs (+1, Melee Kinetic Weapon), Projectile Spit (+1, Artillery Elemental Weapon), Sickening Radiance (Spell)
Drops: 60 credits

Agent Party:

48966318642_892829535f_t.jpg Igaz (Goliath)
300 Cycle, Male Undead
Vitality: 7/7
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Intimidation 1, Melee Weapons 2, Short Range Weapons 1
Credits: 10
Equipment: Standard Vibrolance (+1, Melee Kinetic Weapon), Standard Plate Armor (+1 Kinetic Armor), Warding Bond (Spell)
Inventory: Shield Booster

48966139361_407b291de0_t.jpg Kleeck (KotZ)
35 cycle old, male Ornithun
Vitality: 5/5
Smarts: 2
Spells:
Proficiencies: Persuasion 2, Culture 1, Short Range Weapons 1, Insight 2, Deception 1
Credits: 60
Equipment: Standard Plasma Blaster (+1, Short Range Energy Weapon), Translator Cube, Summon Spirit Ally (Spell)
Inventory:

48966140126_7e3935929e_t.jpg Ensonvilterayquis (Enson) (Lord Duvors)
60 cycle old, Male Quo’ri
Vitality: 6/6
Spirit: 2/2
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 2, Medicine 1, Religion 2
Equipment: Standard Void Star Hammer (+1, Melee Elemental Weapon), Healing Light (Spell), Purging Font (Spell)
Inventory: Nanite Filter, Plasma Potion

48966319372_7ee12c7261_t.jpg Dunola (Kintobor)
125 cycle old, Female Dwarf
Spirit: 3/3
Proficiencies: Arcana 3, Culture 1, Short Range Weapons 1, Engineering 1
Equipment: Standard Flame Thrower (+1, Short Range Elemental Weapon), Holo-Scroll, Elemental Evocation (Spell), Obfuscate (Spell), Transmutate Matter (Spell)
Inventory: Energy Cell

image.png.d71a0b846a2647368b22180582c7f090.pngTester-Three (samurai-turtle)
One Cycle Old, Genderless, War Bot {Robotic}
Proficiencies: Technology 2, Long Range Weapons 2, Piloting 1, Perception 1, Engineering 1,
Equipment: Standard Arm Cannon (+1, Long Range Energy Weapon), Standard Metallic Exoskeleton (+1 Kinetic Armor), Purging Font (Spell)

image.png.d94385591287615c0e37a071d086a824.pngYelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman)

Unknown Age Human Female
Proficiencies: Deception 2, Long Range Weapons 2, Technology 2
Equipment:  Dual-Mode Sniper Rifle E (+1, Long-Range Energy Weapon), Dual-Mode Sniper Rifle K (+1, Long-Range Kinetic Weapon), Obfuscate (Spell)
Inventory: Cloaking Generator, Hacking Chip

Edited by Endgame

Frustrated that he missed, Igaz repeats his attack.

48966318642_892829535f_t.jpg

"You're a slippery little thing ain't ya?"

OoC:

Did I move? I thought I was at position C1, not at C2.

/// Raticate. 

Continue attack on "oozling" a (sub target "oozling" b). 

5 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

OoC:

Hide contents

Did I move? I thought I was at position C1, not at C2.

MM Note: Fixed, my bad!

"Stand aside," Dunola shouts as she holsters her flamethrower. Her eyes start emitting a glow like coals in a fire, her hands brimming with eldritch energy, "I've got one of em."

Dunola blast Oozling B with an Elemental Evocation.

Enson looked down at the creature crouching on the crispy corpse of it's comrade, shook his head, and raised his hammer.

Enson will attack Oozeling B from D2.

Kleeck shakes his weapon. "Does this thing work? No matter!" Instead, Kleeck casts Summon Spirit Ally from F4.

Round Two of the Oozeling Bruising:

Agents' Turn:

>Yelana versus Oozeling Stoic: (2 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) - (1 Skill success) =  1 damage.
>Kleek tries to summon a spirit ally: has no proficiency in nature/occult... so nothing happens.
I feel pretty bad about this... :look:
>Enson versus Oozeling B: (1 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 1 damage to Oozeling B.
>Igaz versus Oozeling Stoic: (0 proficiency success + 1 weapon mod successes) - (0 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 1 damage to Oozeling Stoic.
>Tester Three versus Oozeling A: (1 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod success) - (1 skill successes + 0 armor) = 0 damage to Oozeling A.
>Dunola versus Oozeling B: (3 Arcana successes - DC of 1) = 2 damage to Oozeling B.

Enemies' Turn:

>Oozeling Stoic versus Dunola: (0 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) = 0 damage.
>Oozeling A versus Enson: (0 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) + (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 0 damage.
>Oozeling B versus Igaz: (1 proficiency success + 1 weapon mod success) - (0 Skill successes + 1 armor) = 1 damage.

The New (...Same) Battle Grid:

0wiCpnn.png

Glancing blows off the Oozeling Stoic scatter silver plasma across the ground, which quickly seeps in and withers away. Oozeling B is also brought to death's door, but the fireball emerging from Dunola's charred palms isn't enough to quite finish it off. Still, the shiplot is starting to smell suspiciously like burning rubber. Kleek tries to summon forth a spirit ally, but it quickly disintegrates, the Ornithun's magic not enough to sustain it.

Igaz's armor absorbs the bulk of a vicious lunge from one of the aliens. And now, as the hardy Stoic's spit goes wide once more...

The conflict continues!

The Enemy Party:

edTNN1b.png "Myerrrm."
Oozeling A
Drops: Plasma Potion x3

edTNN1b.png "Glorg!"
Oozeling B
Drops: Nanite Philter x2

AOeLHvo.png"...!"
Oozeling Stoic
Vitality: 5/7
Proficiencies: Artillery Weapons 1
Equipment: Slimy Fangs (+1, Melee Kinetic Weapon), Projectile Spit (+1, Artillery Elemental Weapon), Sickening Radiance (Spell)
Drops: 60 credits

Agent Party:

48966318642_892829535f_t.jpg Igaz (Goliath)
300 Cycle, Male Undead
Vitality: 6/7
Proficiencies: Athletics 1, Intimidation 1, Melee Weapons 2, Short Range Weapons 1
Equipment: Standard Vibrolance (+1, Melee Kinetic Weapon), Standard Plate Armor (+1 Kinetic Armor), Warding Bond (Spell)

48966139361_407b291de0_t.jpg Kleeck (KotZ)
Spirit: 0/1
Spells:
Proficiencies: Persuasion 2, Culture 1, Short Range Weapons 1, Insight 2, Deception 1
Equipment: Standard Plasma Blaster (+1, Short Range Energy Weapon), Translator Cube, Summon Spirit Ally (Spell)
Inventory:

48966140126_7e3935929e_t.jpg Ensonvilterayquis (Enson) (Lord Duvors)
Equipment: Standard Void Star Hammer (+1, Melee Elemental Weapon), Healing Light (Spell), Purging Font (Spell)

48966319372_7ee12c7261_t.jpg Dunola (Kintobor)
Spirit: 2/3
Equipment: Standard Flame Thrower (+1, Short Range Elemental Weapon), Holo-Scroll, Elemental Evocation (Spell), Obfuscate (Spell), Transmutate Matter (Spell)

image.png.d71a0b846a2647368b22180582c7f090.pngTester-Three (samurai-turtle)
Proficiencies: Technology 2, Long Range Weapons 2, Piloting 1, Perception 1, Engineering 1,
Equipment: Standard Arm Cannon (+1, Long Range Energy Weapon), Standard Metallic Exoskeleton (+1 Kinetic Armor), Purging Font (Spell)

image.png.d94385591287615c0e37a071d086a824.pngYelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman)

Unknown Age Human Female
Equipment:  Dual-Mode Sniper Rifle E (+1, Long-Range Energy Weapon), Dual-Mode Sniper Rifle K (+1, Long-Range Kinetic Weapon), Obfuscate (Spell)

Edited by Endgame

Again.

Spoiler

Endgame, since the Oozelings can't actually cast the spells in their stats I suggest you either give them some Occult/Religion proficiencies or just remove it and set their max Spirit at zero.

1 hour ago, Lord Duvors said:

Hide contents

Endgame, since the Oozelings can't actually cast the spells in their stats I suggest you either give them some Occult/Religion proficiencies or just remove it and set their max Spirit at zero.

Mission Master Note: Yep, I will effectively be going with the latter. This spell system is a learning process for all of us, it seems. :blush: Thank you for the heads up!

On 1/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, Endgame said:

Round One of the Oozeling Bruising:

Agents' Turn:

>Yelana versus Oozeling Stoic: (0 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) =  0 damage.
>Kleek versus Oozeling Stoic: (0 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 0 damage.

>Enson versus Oozeling C: (2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 2 damage to Oozeling C.
>Igaz versus Oozeling Stoic: (1 success + 0 weapon mod successes) - (1 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 0 damage to Oozeling Stoic.
>Tester Three versus Oozeling A: (2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (0 skill successes + 0 armor) = 3 damage to Oozeling A.
>Dunola versus Oozeling C: (1 proficiency success + 1 weapon mod success) - (0 skill successes + 0 armor) = 2 damage to Oozeling C - Oozeling C is dead!

Enemies' Turn:

>Oozeling Stoic versus Tester-Three: (0 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) = 0 damage.
>Oozeling B moves to D3 

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

Round Two of the Oozeling Bruising:

Agents' Turn:

>Yelana versus Oozeling Stoic: (2 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) - (1 Skill success) =  1 damage.
>Kleek tries to summon a spirit ally: has no proficiency in nature/occult... so nothing happens.
I feel pretty bad about this... :look:
>Enson versus Oozeling B: (1 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) - (1 Skill success + 0 armor) = 1 damage to Oozeling B.
>Igaz versus Oozeling Stoic: (0 proficiency success + 1 weapon mod successes) - (0 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 1 damage to Oozeling Stoic.
>Tester Three versus Oozeling A: (1 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod success) - (1 skill successes + 0 armor) = 0 damage to Oozeling A.
>Dunola versus Oozeling B: (3 Arcana successes - DC of 1) = 2 damage to Oozeling B.

Enemies' Turn:

>Oozeling Stoic versus Dunola: (0 proficiency successes + 0 weapon mod successes) = 0 damage.
>Oozeling B versus Igaz: (1 proficiency success + 1 weapon mod success) - (0 Skill successes + 1 armor) = 1 damage.

OoC:

I need some explanation on these "Battle formula(s). Because I am spotting difference between the two rounds, I am going to try an underline the difference(s).  I would think it would be the same number between rounds. 

:def_shrug: 

/// Execute. 

Continue attack on "oozling" a (sub target "oozling" b) 

Just now, Endgame said:

Mission Master Note: Yep, I will effectively be going with the latter. This spell system is a learning process for all of us, it seems. :blush: Thank you for the heads up!

Spoiler

Not an issue.:thumbup:

Just now, samurai-turtle said:

Reveal hidden contents

I need some explanation on these "Battle formula(s). Because I am spotting difference between the two rounds, I am going to try an underline the difference(s).  I would think it would be the same number between rounds. 

:def_shrug: 

Spoiler

The reason for the differences is because the format is only displaying the number of successes, not the number of dice rolled.

MM Note: You're right, I looked back at the Weapon Check formula, and I misinterpreted something. Here is how it goes:

(Proficiency Successes + Weapon Mod) - (Skill Successes + Armor Mod)

To break down those four items:

• Proficiency successes: each weapon type (Melee, Short Ranged, Long Ranged, Artillery) has a matching Proficiency. When using a Melee weapon with the Melee Weapons 3 Proficiency, I would roll 3 dice. For each dice that came up as 4 or above, that counts as a Proficiency Success. I sum all those up and we get the Proficiency Successes. That is why the number you see varies; it depends on how well you rolled.
  • Weapon Mod: This is where I goofed. You see, I had been treating this as a dice roll as well; that's why you see either 0 or 1 "Weapon successes" listed in battle calculations. However, that is incorrect. You don't roll for weapon mod; you just add it. This is where the battle calculations have been off thus far.
  • Skill successes: Function identically to Proficiency, but you roll a number of dice equal to the target's Skill stat. This one has been executed right as well, as far as I can see.
  • Armor Mod: Not unlike Weapon Mod, if the Armor you're wearing matches the type of damage the enemy is dealing, you get to add an Armor Mod to the calculation, thereby decreasing the attack's damage equal to the Armor's, well, Armor Mod.

So, I apologize for botching item 2 on this list - that being said, with only 2 rounds in the bag, you've chipped through a lot of the enemy party's HP pool while taking only 1 damage as a party, so I don't think it does much for anyone to go rewind and reroll.

But, from now on, if it is helpful, I will list battle calculations as, for example:

(2 out of 3 Proficiency successes + 1 Weapon Mod) - (1 out of 2 Skill successes + 1 Armor Mod) = (2+1)-(1+1) = 1

So you can check everything about the calculation itself.

Sorry if this was something of a spiel, but it is good that we are getting the Weapon Check tidied away now. Thanks for bringing issues to my attention - this is why we test, after all. :classic:

Edited by Endgame

“Blast!” Dunola was hoping for something more reactive than what she received, but was at least happy with some result. She switches back to her Flamethrower and burns the Oozling B again.

OOC: No worries on the spell thing, makes sense.

"Well drat!" Kleeck shouted as his spell failed. "Seems that I must train more to make that work."

He shoots Ooozeling B from his position if possible.

MM Note: Been 24 hours, and so...

Round Three of the Oozeling Bruising:

Agents' Turn:

>Yelana versus Oozeling Stoic: (1 out of 2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod) - (0 out of 2 Skill successes + 0 armor) =  2 damage to Oozeling Stoic.
>Kleek versus Oozeling B: (0 out of 1 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod) - (1 out of 1 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 0 damage.

>Enson versus Oozeling B: (0 out of 2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod) - (1 out of 1 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 0 damage.
>Igaz versus Oozeling Stoic: (1 out of 2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod successes) - (0 out of 2 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 2 damage to Oozeling Stoic.
>Tester Three versus Oozeling A: (1 out of 2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod) - (0 out of 1 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 2 damage to Oozeling A - Oozeling A is no more!
>Dunola versus Oozeling B: (1 out of 1 proficiency + 1 weapon mod) - (1 out of 1 Skill successes + 0 armor) = 1 damage - Oozeling B is ash!

Enemies' Turn:

>Oozeling Stoic versus Dunola: (1 out of 1 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod success) + (0 out of 1 skill successes + 0 armor) = 2 damage.

Round Four of the Oozeling Bruising:

Agents' Turn:

>Yelana versus Oozeling Stoic: (2 out of 2 proficiency successes + 1 weapon mod) - (1 out of 2 Skill successes + 0 armor) =  2 damage to Oozeling Stoic - Oozeling Stoic falls silent!

Things wrap up at a rapid pace. Igaz and Yelana take out their frustrations on the quiet Oozeling Stoic. Tester-Three accurately calibrates his aim, now that he had ample movement data, and a shot from his arm cannon scatters one of the Oozelings across the asphalt. Dunola, meanwhile, satisfies her urge to combust by scorching another Oozeling. The Stoic finally hits his mark, bruising Dunola with some well-aimed prjectile spit, only to be put down by one last shot from Yelana.

The battle was won! All agents gain 1 EXP.

Please distribute the loot (however much slime residue might be left on it):

9odBaSQ.png9odBaSQ.png9odBaSQ.png
Plasma Potion x3: Each restores 1d6 of health on use.

NmI0RHf.pngNmI0RHf.png
Nanite Philter x2: Can be used to remove 1 status effect from an agent.

z1z0LQZ.png
Energy Cell: Can be used in conjunction with an Attack action. Doubles the Weapon Mod of that attack.

0sCoOK1.png
60 credits

Faeja seems quite pleased with the result!

wVPvlqr.png
"Oh, thank you! Thank you thank you thank you! Seems those Oozeling absorbed some of my cargo, but you are welcome to keep it... Thank you so, so much, really. My boss would've killed me if I didn't get this in soon...

So, ah, you guys are... gonna sleuth around that dart, right? I... Might have a tidbit of info for you..." she says, looking around as if someone was watching.

Agent Party:

48966318642_892829535f_t.jpg Igaz (Goliath) 1 EXP / 1 EXP Career
300 Cycle, Male Undead
Vitality: 6/7

48966139361_407b291de0_t.jpg Kleeck (KotZ) 1 EXP / 1 EXP Career
Spells:
Inventory:

48966140126_7e3935929e_t.jpg Ensonvilterayquis (Enson) (Lord Duvors) 1 EXP / 1 EXP Career

48966319372_7ee12c7261_t.jpg Dunola (Kintobor) 1 EXP / 1 EXP Career
Vitality: 3/5
Spirit: 3/3

image.png.d71a0b846a2647368b22180582c7f090.pngTester-Three (samurai-turtle) 1 EXP / 1 EXP Career

image.png.d94385591287615c0e37a071d086a824.pngYelana Fennix (Classic_Spaceman) 1 EXP / 1 EXP Career

Unknown Age Human Female

/// That was interesting, if not very effective... Recommend distribution of items, 10 credit(s) to everyone; Enson = Energy Cell; Igaz, Dunola, Tester-Three = Plasma Potion; Kleeck, Yelana = Nanite Philter. 

3 hours ago, Endgame said:

The Stoic finally hits his mark, bruising Dunola with some well-aimed prjectile spit, only to be put down by one last shot from Yelana.

Got it - Just had to adjust the targeting system to compensate for its movement! 

wVPvlqr.png
"Oh, thank you! Thank you thank you thank you! Seems those Oozeling absorbed some of my cargo, but you are welcome to keep it... Thank you so, so much, really. My boss would've killed me if I didn't get this in soon...

Well. . . That sounds extreme, but OK - Glad we could help. 

wVPvlqr.png
"So, ah, you guys are... gonna sleuth around that dart, right? I... Might have a tidbit of info for you..." she says, looking around as if someone was watching.

That’s the plan - right now, anyway, so if you have any information, we want to hear it. By the way, you still seem nervous - It’s clearly not because of the Oozlings, so would you prefer to talk somewhere more private

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

/// Recommend distribution of items, 10 credit(s) to everyone; Enson = Energy Cell; Igaz, Dunola, Tester-Three = Plasma Potion; Kleeck, Yelana = Nanite Philter. 

Agreed overall, but I’d like to swap my Philter for your Potion

OoC Note: Are we actually calling these “Philters”, or is this just a typo? Since a ‘philter’ is a love-potion, ‘filter’ (something that purifies) makes more sense contextually. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

"Well, that was lackluster," Kleeck said, looking sadly at his weapon. "No matter! The task is finished! Now, please, tell us this information, it could be rather useful."

11 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Agreed overall, but I’d like to swap my Philter for your Potion

/// I technically have built in "nanite philter" it would not be that useful to me. If anyone has a better distribution of said items they should speak up. 

"Looks like we've purged this ship of those vermin." Dunola holsters her flamethrower. "I'm fine with taking ten credits and that potion. A job well done, everyone!"

"Now then, miss, why don't we step into the ship a little bit so we can discuss matters in private, eh?"