Sign in to follow this  
aj_bricks

MOC - KiwiRail DXC Locomotive (1:48 Scale)

This is my newest locomotive, and my first attempt at building in 1:48 scale. KiwiRail DXC locomotive from New Zealand. Measuring 44 studs long and 7 studs wide, it can handle standard Lego R40 curves and is powered by 2 PF L motors (one on each truck) controlled by an SBrick. The custom stickers were made by OKBrickworks and I think they turned out perfectly!

DXC class locomotives originally started as General Electric U26Cs, built in the 1970s. Similar engines were also produced for Brazil, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, and Zambia. DXC locomotives are used by KiwiRail on the South Island of New Zealand to haul heavy freight and the famous TranzAlpine excursion train (considered by many to be among the world's most scenic train rides). They differ from other DX variants in the addition of "chutes", special air intakes that are needed for better air flow in the 5+ mile-long Otira tunnel under the Southern Alps. Prior to the DXC upgrade the tunnel stretch had to be electrified.

I'm not from New Zealand, but I was inspired to build this loco after I had the opportunity to spend a few weeks there in March 2019. It's a beautiful country with some amazing scenery to see by road or by rail. If you haven't been, you should go!

Previously, the only custom train builds had been in 6-wide and were based on the old 9v trucks and motors. So this was a big change for me. I had never used PF motors before, never had done much with technic even, so building the trucks and drivetrain took the most time for me. I started by looking at blueprints of DX locomotives online and dragging a scaled version over a Lego graph paper template in MS Publisher to get a 1:48 scale view. (http://studs.sariel.pl/ was really helpful for this as well!) I then did most of the build in Stud.IO, building a couple test trucks along the way to test out the length on R40 curves (which are all I have right now). After ordering parts I still made plenty of tweaks as I built - probably 25% of the loco is different in some way from the digital model I built. I realized I should have 2 L motors for traction, but I haven't ordered the second one. There's just enough room for the 2nd motor with an SBrick and a 9V battery (maybe 2 - space is tight!). 

Edited-5724Edited-5731Edited-5732Edited-5721

Edited by aj_bricks
Failed at adding flickr pictures.

This transports me right back to my former home in the Far North. Thank you for showing this beautiful model.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, aj_bricks said:

Previously, the only custom train builds had been in 6-wide and were based on the old 9v trucks and motors. So this was a big change for me.

I refuse to believe that given the fantastic build (grin), seriously though, it looks like a fantastic build