Sign in to follow this  
Sparks bricks

[LEGO IDEAS] 24 Gun Spanish Galleon

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, and I want to introduce myself with my Spanish Galleon build! (excuse the pirate flag its the only one I have at the moment)

EE3249F4-2536-4515-B5D2-C04C13AB4B91

The ship itself is more than 2,000 pieces with more than 15 yards of rigging. It has a total of 4 decks, which carry its 24 guns. I have been planning and working on this build for the last 3 months and very happy how it turned out! This is my first large ship I have built, and it comes in around 3 feet long (just the deck)  and 2 feet tall, which means its about 1/2 of minifigure scale! I used a combination of different hull techniques that I learn here to give the hull its shape. I have yet to include sails but will be working on that shortly! I have different stages of the build on my Flicker which you can check out here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183944563@N05/sets/72157712187520373/

91E710AF-8D51-44A7-B763-76D61A20E20A

Here it is side by side with a official Lego pirate ship! As you can see its more than double the size!

Lastly this has recently been posted to Lego Ideas and your support would be greatly appreciated! I think it would look amazing with the upcoming Pirates Bay set coming out later, but also we need to show Lego that fans want the Pirates and other classic themes back on the shelfs! With your support we can bring awareness to this!   https://ideas.lego.com/projects/87e933b4-7625-44cf-be1a-fda4369acdd3 

Some more pictures!

49360171966_d05fa31b46_b.jpg49359705203_10d7b47f43_b.jpg49360371602_9caabea9b0_b.jpg

Edited by Sparks bricks

Very nice! One massive tub loaded with gold bullion... need a privateer of the same scale now! :pir-classic:
Making a big splash right off the hop.

Welcome @Sparks bricks!

That's a massive introduction. Great ship! Beautiful colors.

If you are working on sails, I would recommend to make your own falg as well. Not only would you have more freedom in designing it but the current one looks undersized anyways.

11 hours ago, Wellesley said:

Welcome @Sparks bricks!

That's a massive introduction. Great ship! Beautiful colors.

If you are working on sails, I would recommend to make your own falg as well. Not only would you have more freedom in designing it but the current one looks undersized anyways.

I agree! I’ll have to do some more research to make sure I get the right time period spanish flag! 

What a marvel! Love the shape and the colours! why not add some sails and minifigs? Would be a front page MOC If you'd ask me :)

Hmmmmm...  the MOC itself seems decent but at the expense of sounding harsh, it will need much better photography if is to succeed on LEGO Ideas.

Also, no minifgures will be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

So there's a some work to be done to bring the presentation up to standard, but a fine ship nonetheless.