Jim

[HELP] Generic Building Help Topic

1 minute ago, Xour said:

Thank you all. I'm not familiar with the software you mention, but I'll google it up. Thanks again!

There are several, for example: Lego's own Digital Designer, Studio (made by Bricklink) and LeoCAD. I use the latter mainly for it's comfortable UI but others have their advantages too.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:51 AM, CrankyCraig said:

Don't want to start a new topic to ask this, but does anyone know what's going on with the 'Hall of Fame'? I thought of it as a catalogue of the best and brightest the Eurobricks community has to offer, but there's not been any additions to it for some time, despite some great MOC's being created.  Is it no longer being updated?

Yeah I know... it was sort of my thing to keep that going, but life got heavily in the way last year. I want to start updating the HoF again, with at least contest winners and some of the best builds from last year.

It is a sh*tload of content to go through though, some help would be appreciated. So please start recommending your favorites from past year, and let's get the HoF in shape again!

On 12/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, Rudivdk said:

So please start recommending your favorites from past year, and let's get the HoF in shape again!

Where should we recommend MOCs for the HoF? I think there needs to be a designated place for that if you dont want people to post recommendations in this thread and anywhere else they feel like.

3 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Where should we recommend MOCs for the HoF? I think there needs to be a designated place for that if you dont want people to post recommendations in this thread and anywhere else they feel like.

You can use this topic:

Does anyone have general advice for making the bodywork of a car?

Should I use the Lego connectors or create the angles myself?

My approach (just a personal preference, not science!) is to do a rough sketch in some 3d lego cad software with floating panels first, and work my way inwards from the panels to the chassis to create the mounting points in the correct angles (or at least as close as possible to the sketch). Then build those connections irl to see if it is all formlocked and if the 'flow' is correct . For me it saves a lot of time this way.

Using connectors, balljoints or self built angles depends on what is needed and the room available. Usually I combine all of those techniques.

Edited by Rudivdk

The forum was down for me yesterday, and now the backgrounds are all for the Star Wars forum. Is this happening to anyone else?

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

The forum was down for me yesterday, and now the backgrounds are all for the Star Wars forum. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes. @Jim mentioned it in this topic :

Basically, the technic theme didn't work, as you experienced it. He replaced it temporarily so that it works.

1 hour ago, chlego said:

Yes. @Jim mentioned it in this topic :

Basically, the technic theme didn't work, as you experienced it. He replaced it temporarily so that it works.

Ok, no problem

On 1/7/2021 at 8:37 AM, ukbajadave said:

If I want to use the hub and motors from 42099 for a MOC I need the "powered up" app not "control+" right?

It depends on what you want to do. If you are content to use a premade profile from a set, you could use the Control+ app, but if you are looking for more flexibility, you will have to use the Powered Up app, which requires some knowledge of coding to use.

I've got a friend who likes to run his PF off of rechargeable 9V batteries (rated at 8.4V). He found that the setup was burning out receivers, so we grabbed a circuit board from a spare AA battery box and hooked it up to the 9V battery, figuring that we would then get the benefit of the factory protection. It worked great, but we are now wondering whether the whole board needs to be retained to keep the protection. There is an external resistor and what appear to be a small, embedded resistor and an embedded capacitor. Could the protection be retained by just using the external resistor, or should we keep the whole board?

On 1/7/2021 at 2:37 PM, ukbajadave said:

If I want to use the hub and motors from 42099 for a MOC I need the "powered up" app not "control+" right?

If you use control+ app you are stuck to exactly the same set up as the original set, 42099 in this case. The powered up app gives you more freedom in what you want, for example only one XL-motor (just an example).

Btw, If you have trouble with coding in the powered up app, check out racingbrick.com, he has a summary where the function of the code blocks is given and some instruction video’s. Was really helpful for me :)

Not sure if this is the right topic to ask, but this question probably worth its own thread. Which software do you all recommend for doing 3d models and instructions? I'm ok with a steep learning curve and with pay software, I am looking for anything that will worth investing my time in.

Thanks a lot!

@Xour I used to use LDD but then I got a iMac and I now use Stud.io it takes some getting used to but it is powerful. I’ve made instructions from it for a very small model. But mainly I use it for making a digital record of my MOCs.

54 minutes ago, Xour said:

Not sure if this is the right topic to ask, but this question probably worth its own thread. Which software do you all recommend for doing 3d models and instructions? I'm ok with a steep learning curve and with pay software, I am looking for anything that will worth investing my time in.

Thanks a lot!

I use LDD. The great community here found a way to update it with new parts and you can import any kind of a 3D geometry which can be used as a reference.

I think there was topic about digital building soft.

I like to build in LDD. Of course, stud.io has better functionality. I mainly start in LDD, then do render and other things in stud.io .

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I use LDD. The great community here found a way to update it with new parts

Where is tutorial? Haven't heard this before.

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

I think there was topic about digital building soft.

I like to build in LDD. Of course, stud.io has better functionality. I mainly start in LDD, then do render and other things in stud.io .

Where is tutorial? Haven't heard this before.

I made one here: