Jim

[HELP] Generic Building Help Topic

OK.

this pack doesn't solve my needs :( 

I cant turn each of part by 90 deg. There is only one way how these two parts align.

11 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

solve

Yes, these could work, as I can rotated also the parts separately. 

Thank You!

Only issue, that it shows collision from start.

Can anyone point me to some good examples of pop-up headlights in Technic?  I am working on a 15-wide model so each of the headlights have to fit in a 2x2x2 space, and I haven’t been happy with any of the approaches I have taken.  If I have to I will use click hinges but I would really prefer a Technic solution that enables the raising of the lights to be synchronized (and possibly motorized).  Thanks!

Some common axle for both headlights. Some central lever with some small linear actuator. But it would be good to see part of the car, where You plan to fit that in.

Unfortunately there isn’t room for much.  If I motorize it I will use a micromotor and take advantage of the linear clutch built in to the pulley wheel that comes with it.

The issue I am having is more about geometry and part selection.  I don’t want to show the WIP because the vehicle is 95% done and I don’t want to unveil it until it is done.  I was hoping to find a few examples for inspiration, but most of the MOCs with flip up lights I have seen online don’t show the linkages used for the lights.

The drive motor is in between the lights, blocking the path for an axle between them, but there is a more roundabout path to connect them with a linkage.  If I can just get one light rotating the way I want I am sure I can link the two together.

Edited by Hrafn

@Hrafn could you tell what the car is so we can take a look at its headlight construction? Different cars need very different solutions. But getting this to work AND look good will be difficult. Doing really nice pop-ups is a challenge in 1:8 (29 wide), so it will be even more difficult at half the width.

@Gray Gear here is a sketch of the geometry I am going for - the assembly pivots near the top back edge.

640x480.jpeg

My current draft is here:

640x480.jpeg
The headlight pivots on the gray pin; the gray plate-with-pinhole would be what the actuating linkage would attach to.  The geometry isn’t quite right yet but I am not sure how I can tweak it without making it too large - this is already as large as it should be.

@Hrafn Looks more like the style of pop-up headlights like you'd find on a AE 86. They rotate almost 90°, which is a lot more compared to the pop-ups you'd find on a NSX or a Testarossa.

In my opinion the pivot point in your sketch is not quite right. Since the headlight rotates 90° the pivot point has to be more in the center of the headlight to avoid a huge gap below when flipped up.

Question is how this can be executed in your small scale. It would still be good if you could name the car model. I think your current prototype isn't bad, but the shape indeed looks very different from your sketch. Does the hood have to open? Otherwise is could be used as a mounting point...

On 1/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, Hrafn said:

Unfortunately there isn’t room for much.  If I motorize it I will use a micromotor and take advantage of the linear clutch built in to the pulley wheel that comes with it.

The issue I am having is more about geometry and part selection.  I don’t want to show the WIP because the vehicle is 95% done and I don’t want to unveil it until it is done.  I was hoping to find a few examples for inspiration, but most of the MOCs with flip up lights I have seen online don’t show the linkages used for the lights.

The drive motor is in between the lights, blocking the path for an axle between them, but there is a more roundabout path to connect them with a linkage.  If I can just get one light rotating the way I want I am sure I can link the two together.

Is the drive motor level with the top of the hood? Maybe post an image showing only the lights, drive motor and front wheels so we can see what space you have available. It might not need a linkage, just a cam or something to push the lights up and let gravity drop them down.

7 hours ago, allanp said:

Is the drive motor level with the top of the hood? Maybe post an image showing only the lights, drive motor and front wheels so we can see what space you have available. It might not need a linkage, just a cam or something to push the lights up and let gravity drop them down.

The hood rests directly on the drive motor.  I will have to try to construct a “cutaway” version of the area in question; hopefully I can do that and post a picture tonight (US time).

Thanks to all of you for the help!

Here we go.  This is a view of the top. The 4x10 plate is a placeholder for the front grill and bumper; I need to leave some room to attach it to the structure.  The tan cranks are connected under the motor, and I put them in in the hopes that I could use them to link the headlights together.  The hood will rest on the front edge of the motor, and angle up towards the windshield at the same slope as the 2x5 panel.  The headlights should be just inboard of the 2x5 panel, so there is a one stud gap between the edge of the headlight and the liftarm part of the motor.

640x480.jpeg

And a 3/4 shot

640x480.jpeg

The wheels are low enough and far enough back that they should not interfere with any mechanisms forward of the dog bone frame and above the blue bent liftarm.

Here is the underside, so you can see the structure more clearly.  The car is extremely fast so robustness against crashes is very important.  Not sure how I will keep the grill from coming off but that is a problem for a different day.

640x480.jpeg

Edited to add: here is a possible direction for a solution.  Obviously it needs a redesign so it doesn’t fall apart, but the geometry seems good.

640x480.jpeg
640x480.jpeg

Edited by Hrafn

Another idea perhaps? Sorry I see you added another image :blush:

pop_up_head_lights.png

You don't need to double up the light grey and dark grey pieces, just added them to make it easier to see.

7 minutes ago, allanp said:

Another idea perhaps? Sorry I see you added another image :blush:

pop_up_head_lights.png

You don't need to double up the light grey and dark grey pieces, just added them to make it easier to see.

I like what you did there with the System hinge, and that is much more robust than my design (admittedly a low bar 😂).  I will have to iterate the design as I work on the grill and hood, to make sure everything fits and is solid, but I am very happy to have a path forward!

I’m building the BMW M bike at the moment has anyone started to create car suspension designed with the new blue shock absorber ? Also I realise it slots into the wheel hub part that is used on the front wheel of the bike. May be useful for someone 

This is perhaps a little off-topic, but I thought it best to post here instead of starting a whole new thread for it.

Does anyone have any tips for identifying light grey vs light bluish grey for 12-tooth bevel gears? I'm usually fairly good at distinguishing the two colours on most parts, but for some reason I find it really difficult to tell 12-tooth gears apart.

Edited by heyitsdisty

11 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Part number?

I checked one gear with a microscope and couldn't find a part number moulded on it.

This is a lockable rear axle I am working on. I need help keeping the beam holding the 12 tooth gear from popping off. I tried the 7 long half axles, but I am not happy with the solution. I could use some suggestions.

At @Hrafn suggestion, I am posting this in this thread.

Here is the axle installed in my Raptor. Space is very tight at the front.

raptor-rear-axle.jpg

Here is a better shot of the bottom of the axle

rear_axle_bot.jpg

Here is the top of the axle

rear_axle_top.jpg

On 1/16/2022 at 3:02 AM, Hrafn said:

Can anyone point me to some good examples of pop-up headlights in Technic?  I am working on a 15-wide model so each of the headlights have to fit in a 2x2x2 space, and I haven’t been happy with any of the approaches I have taken.  If I have to I will use click hinges but I would really prefer a Technic solution that enables the raising of the lights to be synchronized (and possibly motorized).  Thanks!

The Test Car set 8865 had pop-up headlights - see Peeron instruction scan of step 17

Mark