Jim

[HELP] Generic Building Help Topic

This topic is used to pose generic building help questions.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:25 AM, Jim said:

This topic is used to pose generic building help questions.

Great! Is this also for sharing (links to) helpful generic building insights, like 

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69 we actually have the Technic Index page for that, including a section for 'notable topics'.

The index needs dome severe maintenance/updating, something I started planning awhile ago but it never got off the ground properly due to life taking my time away from LEGO lately...:sadnew:. I will see if I can pick up on that again sometime soon.

I think this classes as going here.

Does anyone know what angle to rotate a Technic Engine block to in Stud.io (or LDD come to think of it) to get it to fit to a Engine end piece to make a standard V engine?

2*arctg0.5 = 53.13° for each side I believe.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I think this classes as going here.

Does anyone know what angle to rotate a Technic Engine block to in Stud.io (or LDD come to think of it) to get it to fit to a Engine end piece to make a standard V engine?

5 hours ago, Seasider said:

I always put them at 53°

4 hours ago, Lipko said:

2*arctg0.5 = 53.13° for each side I believe.

So actually I'm 0.13° off...:blush:

Does anyone have a handy guide to the compressed length of the various shock absorbers ?

In particular the 9.5L Unimog and the 6.5L "in both Normal (grey) and Hard (yellow)

I tested this for myself years ago: The 6.5L can compress 1L and the 9.5L can compress 2L.

I've got a Studio 2.1 question regarding U-joints ....  How do you bend from the center of the u-joint to the end instead of the end to end rotation!!?? and back to the fake motors on Studio 2.1, 53 degrees is great but how do you get the piston to connect to the rods without any collision or otherwise the piston looks to popped out ?? I was able to adjust the angle like + or - a few degrees  .. I've done the whole technic model with collision on and the u-joints are holding me back!!!  thank you ..  Here is a link to the file!!!! free from Bricklink..  

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=122456

Edited by sirslayer

On 2/7/2020 at 5:31 PM, sirslayer said:

I've got a Studio 2.1 question regarding U-joints ....  How do you bend from the center of the u-joint to the end instead of the end to end rotation!!?? and back to the fake motors on Studio 2.1, 53 degrees is great but how do you get the piston to connect to the rods without any collision or otherwise the piston looks to popped out ?? I was able to adjust the angle like + or - a few degrees  .. I've done the whole technic model with collision on and the u-joints are holding me back!!!  thank you ..  Here is a link to the file!!!! free from Bricklink..  

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=122456

For U joints, I found the easiest way to get them right is to use the parts individually: instead of importing a whole U joint, import 2 U's and a center. Parts 62519 and 62520. You should be able to align both end to their respective shafts and then snap the center. Since they snap, orienting them roughly and snapping them in should do the trick.

For the fake engines, the rod has to be precisely in the center of the cylinder. It does not snap there because it has a bit of free play, so it has to be manually adjusted. When it's right, turn the cylinder invisible and snap the piston onto the rod. Took me a while to get it right, but it works. See https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/175518-tc17-apocalypse-scrambler/&page=2 I shared the digital file. 

@1980SomethingSpaceGuy That is a cool bike design you made!!! I'm not able to find or download part 62519!!! Do you have a bent u-joint render in a .IO file format that you can share??? and I did manage to fix my pistons on my files and after looking at your engine.. Wow, that  must of took some time!!  Thank you....

@sirslayer Thanks! It's for [TC17], Mad Max theme.

Here's a .io wth U-joint parts only: Universal Joints.io. Does it help?

I was in fact fixing an issue I just spotted after my render queue finished; I'd been using 3L U-joints in the model, but in fact they're 4L on my build. Plus they were misplaced. It's okay now. :blush:

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy

@Jurss I know you've seen the start of this design and check out the finished chassis!! 8x8x8 with mini turntables between each 5x7 with Ackerman steering on a virtual king pin inclination !!! Riding on the small 49.5mm tires and a motorized version is almost done . The suspension is pure pendular and the motorized version will feature dual live axles and it moves like a snake. ..

49553143528_dcbce6992d_b.jpglego technic by victormendoza_jr, on Flickr

Hi everyone,

I'm in the progress of building the Lego technic 42110 Land Rover.
On my first build I had the issue, that the AWD was not working properly.

When I moved the two backwheels, the front wheels would spin in the exact opposite direction.

Obviously this is not how it can drive.

I rebuilt it completely now and I have this issue again.
I read quite a few threads online with people having that issue as well, and they ended up putting in one of the differentials in reverse.

When I take a look at the instructions however, they seem to sit on the same side.

Even when looking at pictures from others who built it, it seems the differentials sit on the same side, for example in here:

48871728521_c3c39e62ec_b.jpg

(Taken from this post 

Does anyone have an idea what I could have done wrong?
I also had the quite common issue (as it seems) of the 20-tooth gears to have quite a lot of friction.
Had to try 6 different ones to find one which works well for the steering.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Florian

Hi Florian first the easy solution: Switch the orientation of one of the differentials. It's a really easy error occuring on many models. When the bevel gear gear of the diff is on the other side, It should work fine.

Strangely it seems that in the original manual, both diffs are shown in the same direction, just like in your model. I don't have this model, can anybody confirm if this is a misprint from lego?

4 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Strangely it seems that in the original manual, both diffs are shown in the same direction, just like in your model. I don't have this model, can anybody confirm if this is a misprint from lego?

You can see in my picture (that pic is from my review, not his pic) that both diffs are on the same side. And my model is working properly. So both diffs on the same side is correct.

I thinks I know what happens. 
But first check if the red differential is standing still when you rotate the back wheels. 
If so then the front wheels will rotate in the other direction because of the differential.

Rotate the front and the back wheels at the same time in the same direction.
Then the red differential should also rotate including the fake motor.

Edited by MikeTwo9398
Typo's used I-pad (Dutch) with auto correction