Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Fountain Plaza in Salida Este

As Salida Este continues to grow, the Eslandolan colonists recognize that the success of this settlement is due in large part to the combined efforts of the Halosians and the native islanders. The MCTC has strived to make sure they work with the natives to benefit all. As the MCTC has developed the island’s resources, using the island’s indigo plants to create dyes used in manufacturing textiles, native customs have been respected and the islanders, who were quick to pick up the mercantile ways of the newcomers, have acclimated themselves to Eslandian society and find themselves in roles throughout the booming economy.

01full2.jpg

To show their respect for the native inhabitants of Ferro Azure, the MCTC has commissioned a statue of Sallah, a revered native leader from a century ago, and placed it atop a fountain. The fountain is located at something of a crossroads, a plaza shaded by trees, and people from all walks of life in Salida Este walk by it every day, whether for business or pleasure.

02astatue.jpg

Watching the people who pass by, one can see people from all parts of society in Salida Este. Here a couple of merchants—one native, one Eslandian—discuss a potential deal.

02merchants.jpg

An Eslandolan soldier in typical local attire slowly passes by atop his horse.

03patrol.jpg

An older native couple, both involved in management of the local textile factory, are out for a walk…

04old.jpg

…while a young native girl and Eslandolan boy share a special moment.

05couple.jpg

A local artisan uses the fountain to explain to his son how a water pump works…

06father-son.jpg

…while his cat eyes a possible feast.

07cat.jpg

Here’s another look at the full build:

99full1.jpg

To be licensed as an art & culture property in Salida Este.

I got the idea for this fountain a couple of months ago when I stumbled across the blue animal horns on bricklink, and I knew exactly how I wanted to use them. Sallah was originally going to be a merrynight figure, but I didn't get the build done in time for that storyline.

All C&C welcome.

Excellent use of the horn pieces as flowing water. Pity there aren't more parts in water-colors, especially trans clear. I also really like the shaping and smoothness of the base of the fountain. It's very eye pleasing. As for the crowd of people, I'm getting a bit of a kaleidoscope effect, which I normally don't like, but in this case it works to illustrate the story. And neat idea to blunt off the corners of the base.

Excellent build as always! The small stories of the people gathered make this thread a real fun one :) Thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Excellent use of the horn pieces as flowing water. Pity there aren't more parts in water-colors, especially trans clear. I also really like the shaping and smoothness of the base of the fountain. It's very eye pleasing. As for the crowd of people, I'm getting a bit of a kaleidoscope effect, which I normally don't like, but in this case it works to illustrate the story. And neat idea to blunt off the corners of the base.

Thanks. I agree about the lack of interesting water-colored pieces. And when I saw you experimenting with fountain designs, I knew I had to finish the photo work and get this posted, so thanks for the push! :pir-grin:

11 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Another wonderful build for Salida Este! You did an excellent job of the minifigures and the fountain! It gives it more motion and story. 

Also, how'd you build the palm trees? Love the way they look! :laugh:

Thanks. Yeah, had to do more with the minifigs to have something to write about.

The palms are four small leafs on tops of four big leafs. Underneath I use an upside-down dark tan bush with a bar run through it and into the trunk pieces.

7 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Excellent build as always! The small stories of the people gathered make this thread a real fun one :) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. One of the things I like about a build like this is reusing the minifigs I've used in other builds and giving the settlement some continuity.

Neat use of horns for the water, quite a creative idea!  The palm trees also give the square some character.  Nice addition to Salida Este!

I hate you very much for all this weird rounded angled tiles displayed on the fountain !

I'm jealous ! You are detestable !

Is the statue white torso a full white one ? Could we have a look to the back ? 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:39 PM, Kai NRG said:

Neat use of horns for the water, quite a creative idea!  The palm trees also give the square some character.  Nice addition to Salida Este!

Thanks. The horns were the inspiration for it. And with the palm trees I wanted bring in that connection between the city with the rest of the island.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:02 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Excellent fountain and floor tiling!

Thanks. This MOC was a fountain looking for a story.:pir-grin:

10 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

I hate you very much for all this weird rounded angled tiles displayed on the fountain !

I'm jealous ! You are detestable !

Is the statue white torso a full white one ? Could we have a look to the back ? 

Hehe. Thanks! Part of the fun of this build was playing with curves and angles to hide the usual square grid.

The torso is plain white, with just the white beard piece hanging down in the front. Nothing to see on the back. Is there something you're looking for in particular?

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

The torso is plain white, with just the white beard piece hanging down in the front. Nothing to see on the back. Is there something you're looking for in particular? 

A full white torso ? from which set ?

I thought you inverted the arms of the torso to hide whatever could be writed on as I did for my very first BoBs built I used a  yellow spaceman torso, but the space symbol was on the back of the naked doctor, so invisible for the spectator.

21 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

A full white torso ? from which set ?

I have no idea. I almost assuredly got it from bricklink at some point in time.

I have inverted white torsos with printing in the past for this very reason, but not in this case.

24 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

I used a  yellow spaceman torso, but the space symbol was on the back of the naked doctor, so invisible for the spectator.

Several CMF offerings have been shirtless minifigs, so I always try to grab those when they come out. (As you may recall, I put those to good use here in the spoiler.)