metalandi

Pictorial Review of 6395 Victory Lap Raceway

index2.jpg

While i truely fell in love one more time with the older lego city sets, i thought, why not make a review of one of the, in my opinion greatest city sets of all time. Let's not talk too much, here we go!

Set Nr.: 6395

Name: Victory Lap Racetrack

Number of minifigs: 13 (!!)

Number of pieces: unknown

Release Year: 1988

Starting with the beautiful old Legoland box:

Front:

dsc00088cj6.jpg

Back, with some cool alternative models:

dsc00089ab7.jpg

Inside:

dsc00090ym9.jpg

We continue with the great minifigs, which are not less than 13! I don't think there is any city set with more figures, is there?

Civilians:

dsc00083xc7.jpg

Race Crew & Assistant Personnel:

dsc00085cf0.jpg

Drivers:

dsc00086rj7.jpg

All:

dsc00087fu5.jpg

Here's a overview of the whole set:

dsc00073zo5.jpg

The "Rescue Rig" (don't exactly know how to call it) with trailer:

dsc00074bw2.jpg

The score board & Traffic Lights, which would be one of the details i love the most about this set:

dsc00076rr6.jpg

The next sweet detail, the Camera + Cameraman!

dsc00077yq2.jpg

Of course we have a doc, if there is some kind of accident:

dsc00078qa1.jpg

The pit stop boxes, i love the small tool-holder with the axle and wheel behind it:

dsc00080pv1.jpg

dsc00079va5.jpg

The control room high above the racetrack:

dsc00081ur9.jpg

Ready to go?!!

dsc00082iq3.jpg

That was it all in all,all i can say is, if you see this set anywhere on ebay ore somewhere else, get it!

What a fantastic set. I'm overwelmed with feelings of nostalgia by seeing this review.

The playability factor of this set is as high as it can be.

Thanks for making and sharing this awesome review !

Thanks for this review!

You have reviewed my most favourite town set of all times, I am so happy to own this one.

I actually is a story to go along with it: In the summer of 1998 I went on holiday with my parents to the country of Luxembourg, in the city of Wiltz we encountered a small toystore which still had this set for sale, (9 years after the release!). I did not had the sufficient amount of money to buy the set and had to leave it at the store, I was practically in tears...

Four years later we passed through Luxembourg and I remembered the city and the store. We made a detour and stopped by the same store. Every other old set was sold, the only one remaining was this one! I bought it immediately and treasured it ever since.

I use the baseplates a lot in my cities, they serve well as roads with parking spaces next to them.

This was the first set I owned which had the huge 6x24 plates in them, I remember my surprise when seeing plates of such enourmous lenght...

I recently made an entire racetrack together with this set and to promote myself I will place a link HERE :grin:

metalandi Thanks for this wonderful lovely review. I enjoyed myself very much when I am looking through at the lovely pictures. I must admit, this is what I called a "real classic" race prix :wub:

I miss those cute sweet little race cars which is able to contain a mini-fig. Furthermore, this set offers 4 race cars and 13 mini-figures :wub:

In addition, if town collectors remember, the car number tiles are printed instead of using stickers.

This is the other set I owned, which holds the similarity above.

6381: Motor Speedway

6381-1.jpg

Overall, great review! :thumbup:

I recently made an entire racetrack together with this set and to promote myself I will place a link HERE :grin:

I saw your entire racetrack. It looks real exciting and I love your layout, real nice! :sweet:

Edited by WhiteFang

Nice reveiw :cry_happy::thumbup: I would fork out $100 AUD for that set its just so bueatiful if only TLG re-released this :cry_happy:

Ahhhh... back in the days when Shell was the racing fuel of choice before that Octan company came to town, bought off the old Shell execs and ran them out of town on a rail... but I digress... I always liked the look of the set, but at the time could not work out where I would be able to fit it into my town...

Thank you for the nice review Metalandi,

And thank you for the nice story and selfpromotion Simon Willems.

The racewaytracks were always nice dioramas in the catalogues of the eighties.

I can remember when I saw this set in LEGO catalogues, looking at it, dreamin to have it.... like so many other sets...

And this one is still a dream...

I really like the design of this set, it looks really complete, with some nice details. There are no lost place.

The strairs withe the foot bridge add a lot to it IMO.

Looking at the pics, I've got a question : is the "Rescue Rig" trailer one piece or is it brick build?

wow simon you got two? yummy!

I'd be happy if I had two... No, it's just one, but extended with the baseplate of 6381 (mentioned above) and some more plates and small fences.

Looking at the pics, I've got a question : is the "Rescue Rig" trailer one piece or is it brick build?

It is one piece, not even the wheels come off... This trailer is always ready to go and was only used in a slecect number of sets.

Thank you very much for that fine review of a really classic and wonderful racing set! And I really wish that TLC would continue with showing

some great alternative models on the back of the boxes.... just imagine on! :thumbup: