Aerolight

Flying lego drone by brick experiment channel

This - wow much voltage 

(not my MOC just sharing this amazing creation - forgot some people add by (name) when its their creation, I apologise for this)   

Edited by Aerolight
creator

The utter madman. He actually did it. I never thought that Lego motors and rotors could be used to make something fly.

Amazing stuff, and i bet at least half the people here dreamed of making something that actually flies in their childhood

I didnt have a big megablocks lab power supply though, nor do i consider cranking huge voltages through those little motors "stock", but hey, coolest lego thing ive seen in a long time

I hope he makes a plane as well - planes require far lower thrust to mass ratio to fly. so he would hopefully gain a far more capable aircraft even with the added weight of a plane airframe (quick maths guess suggests that one L-MOTOR Could lift over 1.5 kilo in aeroplane format with rc quality wings but flat lego sheets might make a surprisingly good substitute... ).

Great work. Lego, electronics and software are an awesome combination. I knew it would not include lego battery pack. Too much weight. And are those third party rotors ? Great combination of skills that will come in handy when the Americans invade.

H

@Aerolight

This is the coolest thing and video I have ever see here on EB.

There is imagination, skill(s), going beyond the thinkable "in" your model (it is so much more than that). You have accomplished so many things at the same time - it is unbelievable. First of - it "flies". How many people tried that. But not only that - it masters the skies. Secondly - all that beautiful programming. Third - the science and your research behind it. Fourth - your masterful video. 

Thank you so much for sharing. And congratulations on what you have accomplished. As I said: The coolest thing and video ever.

All the very best
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie
Hit enter too early ...

I'm almost into fpv drones as much as I am into lego. Its so nuts seeing someone with the know-how to bridge the gap and blend these two hobbies. Ive soldered together a dozen drone setups before but I still wouldn't know the first thing about how to wire up lego hardware to the flight controller. Most flight controllers these days will do blackbox logging to help you tune and troubleshoot your quad, especially due to the infinite hardware combinations you can put together and make fly. One huge variable in the performance and tuning is the frame attributes and most notably its stiffness (or lack of) and resonance it can create from vibrations at the prop/motor. I'd love to see a blackbox log on this technic frame (and motors) which obviously has much more movement and flex than a carbon frame. Flexy bits can actually do your tune some good so it might even have some surprising results as far as how it stacks up to FPV gear.

2 hours ago, Horace T said:

Great work. Lego, electronics and software are an awesome combination. I knew it would not include lego battery pack. Too much weight. And are those third party rotors ? Great combination of skills that will come in handy when the Americans invade.

H

They look like blades from the LEGO Education 9688 renewable energy set.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=89509#T=C&C=1

I would just be curious to see the condition of the beams used, as I suspect that the holes used will wear out prematurely.  However it is a great execution of a concept, using many lego parts, including motors.

So many said this could never be achieved all with real Lego.  Technically, it still hasn't, b/c of the B packs not being used, but this is as close to Lego flying as I have ever seen.....

It's all great but I'd love to see someone making LEGO fly in a more creative way than simply using over 3x normal voltage. Let's be honest, once you have unlimited power at your disposal, you can make anything fly.

I've seen this on YT some time ago, but then he only got it flying for less then a second and only few cm in the air. Was posted as POC only back then. Cool to see he finished it properly. Still a lot of money spend though on mostly non-lego electronics...

4 hours ago, Sariel said:

Let's be honest, once you have unlimited power at your disposal, you can make anything fly.

Well, I could not. At least when you don't count "exploding parts" as "flying".

Plus that power is not "unlimited" - it is - for the duration of the experiment - tolerated by all LEGO parts. Electrically and mechanically.

I just have not seen it anywhere anytime with LEGO parts before - and most importantly not in this very controlled manner.

Best
Thorsten

10 hours ago, Sariel said:

It's all great but I'd love to see someone making LEGO fly in a more creative way than simply using over 3x normal voltage. Let's be honest, once you have unlimited power at your disposal, you can make anything fly.

Having betaflight software and flight controller module also helps.  :classic:

11 hours ago, Sariel said:

Let's be honest, once you have unlimited power at your disposal, you can make anything fly.

There are a good many aircraft that use this principle, like the F-4 Phantom.

Even with the extra voltage and control system, I'd call this an achievement. It is a very brute force method of making Lego fly, though.

I have to wonder, if you used a Buwizz, could you make a fully Lego glider?