Sign in to follow this  
Pdaitabird

Tutorial: Simple BR Plank Wagon

I'd like to share this step-by-step guide for making a simple (and cheap) British-style coal truck.  Here's what it will look like when you're done:

Simple BR Plank Wagon

Please note that some parts used reflect my limited inventory and can be substituted. Feel free to use it for your own layout, or improve it and share your improvements here!

Step 1: Chassis Subassembly

Step 1

Step 2: Bottom Parts

Step 2

Step 3: Bottom Subassembly

Step 3

Step 4: Chassis Assembly

Step 4

Step 5: Side Assemblies

Step 5

Step 6: End Panel Parts

Step 6

Step 7: End Panel (Partial)

Step 7

Step 8: End Panels (Complete)

Step 8

Step 9: Chassis With End Panels

Step 9

Step 10: Completed Wagon

Step 10

Step 11: Loaded With Coal

Step 11

I hope this helps!

I love the two side diagonal planks! And the way you connected internally all the sides. In this case, the use of different gray tiles gives a good weathered style to the panels!  Thumbs up !!! :thumbup::thumbup::sweet:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Love it!

Wondering if you could put a vertical black 1x4 tile down the middle of the side, where the diagonal supports meet. Have you tried?

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I love the two side diagonal planks! And the way you connected internally all the sides. In this case, the use of different gray tiles gives a good weathered style to the panels!  Thumbs up !!! :thumbup::thumbup::sweet:

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I agree ...and I like the shape of this little wagon!

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Love it!

Wondering if you could put a vertical black 1x4 tile down the middle of the side, where the diagonal supports meet. Have you tried?

Thanks! Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea! I'll have to see if I can scrounge up some dark gray jumper plates...

Edit: I only have one dark gray jumper that isn't tied up in another model, but I agree that the vertical tile would be an improvement!

Optional Vertical Tile

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Pdaitabird

34 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

Thank you!

Thanks! Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea! I'll have to see if I can scrounge up some dark gray jumper plates...

Edit: I only have one dark gray jumper that isn't tied up in another model, but I agree that the vertical tile would be an improvement!

Optional Vertical Tile

Thanks for the suggestion!

Wow that looks good indeed! Thanks for the quick turnaround!

For a small MOC, it shines. The details are good and it would do well in a rake of cars behind a classic steam engine on the main line.

instead of the 1x1 round plate could you use a light grey 1x1 square plate so it matches the side grey tiles? it might improve the junction where the diagonal black tiles are attached. 

7 hours ago, hallidaynick said:

instead of the 1x1 round plate could you use a light grey 1x1 square plate so it matches the side grey tiles? it might improve the junction where the diagonal black tiles are attached. 

You could indeed, and I think it would look better too. I just don't have enough 1x1 gray plates in my collection! :laugh: