Sign in to follow this  
Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] LEGO Creator Expert 10272 Old Trafford Manchester United

Just now, JaBaCaDaBra said:

even the naming is wrong
It's a soccer stadium, not football
Field lining is also soccer

We don't need comments like this. The world is bigger than just the US.

Just now, jimmynick said:

We don't need comments like this. The world is bigger than just the US.

We don't need your comment, it's rude and has nothing to do with what I mentioned.
What has this to do with countries or US anyway?

This stadium is of a soccer club, the field lining is also soccer.
Soccer is a complete different sport than Football.

Just now, JaBaCaDaBra said:

This is where you're wrong.

1 minute ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Because Americans love to pound on this imaginary soccer vs football distinction.

By "football" do you mean "American" or "Canadian" or "Australian Rules" or "rugby union" or "rugby league"? Those sports have special names because "football", to most people around the world who aren't trying to be pedants, means the "kick the ball around the pitch until it goes in the goal" game.

I started a thread last year about the ‘next Creator Expert Building - Rumours and Discussion’. Looks like this is it - first new one since Big Ben in 2016.

Why are the 3 soccer players yellow? :look:

They are licensed. They should be fleshies... 

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Where do you see minfigures?

Edit :  Nevermind, Gift with Purchase.

Edited by TeriXeri

27 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

We don't need your comment, it's rude and has nothing to do with what I mentioned.

This stadium is of a soccer club, the field lining is also soccer.

Do you realize that Football (not the American version) is the most popular sport in the world?  It's called Football by billions of people around the world because that's exactly what it is.  Just because the sport isn't as popular in the US as it is in the rest of the world doesn't mean everyone else should call it "Soccer".  By the way I'm born, raised, and currently live in California so I'm speaking from a viewpoint of growing up watching, playing, and loving "American" Football.

The email I got from the Lego Shop refers to it as"English football"

What I think it means, though, is that Old Trafford is more iconic than places such as Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane, and certainly more so than whatever stadium it is that City play in :tongue:

I've mostly been calling it Soccer but might just call it Football again. :shrug_oh_well:

Even in Dutch, it's called "Voetbal" literally sounds the same as Football in spoken language.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

They are licensed. They should be fleshies... 

Almost looks like they build those out of the B-A-M:tongue:

58 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

I only see the black statues... which players do you mean?

You'll get a gift with purchase of the United trininty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Q_StMpkNy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 hour ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

even the naming is wrong

Have a guess what the F stands for in MUFC.

5 minutes ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Almost looks like they build those out of the B-A-M:tongue:

You'll get a gift with purchase of the United trininty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Q_StMpkNy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I wouldn't have known what / who they are without the names below. They could at least have given them a pair of legs with shorts printed on them.

9 minutes ago, Ecclesiastes said:

You'll get a gift with purchase of the United trininty

Oh thanks! I didn't know that. Denis lad looks just the same as he did when I saw him at Manchester Airport ten years ago!

This is a definite buy for me, even with the price tag. Manchester's my adopted home. CIty fans will be disappointed, though. :grin:

Definitely not a set for me, but it's fascinating they chose this as a release of this size. Granted, my knowledge of this is pretty limited, so I'm not entirely aware of how popular this is.

I don't think I'll get this set anytime soon, but I am totally looking forward to seeing what new-mold parts (if any) are included in this set!

10 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

even the naming is wrong

North America has football and soccer.  The remainder of the world pretty much has football.  Manchester United plays football in Old Trafford, a football stadium.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

This is a definite buy for me, even with the price tag. Manchester's my adopted home. CIty fans will be disappointed, though. :grin:

Not so adopted that you don’t know (or don’t want to further confuse Americans?) that Old Trafford isn’t actually in the city of Manchester :wink:

As for the unholy trinity GWP, a bit like the current team and manager, that’s a pretty p*ss poor effort for a licensed offering. Yellow not fleshie, no dual moulding or even printing for shorts or kit. Also, they missed a trick not using TLBM Alfred’s baldie head piece for Charlton :head_back:

Edited by Lucarex

11 hours ago, Retro said:

Love the three minifigures. Beautifully done.

That's sarcasm right? Those are the laziest most generic figures I can imagine. 

What scale is this?  Minifigure?  Microfigure?  Any other similar sets in this set's scale?

On 1/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, Vindicare said:

This seems more limited in appeal than most sets of this caliber they’ve done. But it is an impressive looking set.

Any chance we might get a sale on this at some point?  We did get sales on the Carousel, but that one is not licensed.  We almost never get sales on modulars. 

12 hours ago, jimmynick said:

The email I got from the Lego Shop refers to it as"English football"

What I think it means, though, is that Old Trafford is more iconic than places such as Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane, and certainly more so than whatever stadium it is that City play in :tongue:

I'm a soccer/football fan and I would rather have Anfield or Camp Nou, but anyway, this is a very cool set.  Congrats Man U fans.

39 minutes ago, gundamz said:

What scale is this?  Minifigure?  Microfigure?  Any other similar sets in this set's scale?

Any chance we might get a sale on this at some point?  We did get sales on the Carousel, but that one is not licensed.  We almost never get sales on modulars. 

I would guess it’s microscale. Not knowing the stadium, I would imagine the statues that are represented here by nanofigures are life size, so I’m judging off of that. 

I reckon there’s always a chance of seeing it on sale. Like you said, the Carousel was on sale. More recently Welcome to Apocalypseburg! was on sale. I don’t know how much or often big sets like this go on sale on S@H. 

If it’s anything like the club itself, and if you wait long enough, eventually Lego will pay YOU 80% of the RRP in desperation just to take it off their shelf...

15 hours ago, jimmynick said:

There’s a massive difference between being well known and iconic. OT is in the former camp. Stadiums like Anfield, Camp Nou, Maracana, even the (sadly dilapidated) San Siro are iconic. Ask any player or neutral fan.

United’s desperation for that status have seen them nauseatingly self-refer to OT as the “Theatre of Dreams” (more like Screams these days). But then again, their chief exec was notoriously turned down by Jurgen Klopp for describing the club as “an adult version of Disneyland”. 

As for the London pair you use as comparison, yes SB is bland and soulless whereas Spurs left WHL last year for an admittedly impressive shiny new stadium nearby.  (p.s. City’s stadium is the Emptyhad).