jonwil

Friends animals that would work in a minifig setting?

Are there any Friends animals where the real-life animal is cute enough that the "cutesy" Friends animal would still work in a minifig setting and not look out of place against minifig animals? (bears, big cats, crocodiles, birds etc)

Specifically, animals that might work in a zoo (so no pets like dogs or cats and no underwater animals like dolphins)

2019 Friends had a small bear in set 41363-1: Mia's Forest Adventures

I think as "young" animals, having a bit cute eyes isn't too bad.

The 2019 Friends Turtles also look nice :

41376-1: Turtles Rescue Mission

6028753 6259896 

And that's just current sets, apparently there might be some more "jungle" themed sets later for Friends.

41421 Jungle's Baby Elephant

41422 Jungle's Panda

41423 Jungle's White Tiger

41424 Jungle's Tree Top Sanctuary

Edited by TeriXeri

Would the Friends Hedgehog or Hamster work? Those are generally somewhat cute regardless of age.

18 hours ago, jonwil said:

Are there any Friends animals where the real-life animal is cute enough that the "cutesy" Friends animal would still work in a minifig setting and not look out of place against minifig animals?

The baby rabbit/ hare definitely works both in size and appearance. The pug might also be acceptable as is the seal... Not too sure about others, though. Indeed they are a bit too cutesy for more generig uses.

Mylenium

22 hours ago, jonwil said:

Are there any Friends animals where the real-life animal is cute enough that the "cutesy" Friends animal would still work in a minifig setting and not look out of place against minifig animals? (bears, big cats, crocodiles, birds etc)

Specifically, animals that might work in a zoo (so no pets like dogs or cats and no underwater animals like dolphins)

It up to what you think looks OK. I have seen good MOCs of zoo's made with both duplo and minidoll animals in addition to minifig ones. For me personally the only minidoll animal that are realistic enough are the sparrow (seems like Lego think the same since they have started using it in minifig sets) and the small reef-animals. On the other hand the minifig animals are getting more diverse every year so it should be no problem to make a big zoo only using them now :wink:

On 1/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, Roebuck said:

On the other hand the minifig animals are getting more diverse every year so it should be no problem to make a big zoo only using them now :wink:

Yes :laugh: In the first year of my zoo (year 1999) there were not many animals on Minifig- scale... With Friends, there came more animal items, but personaly those animals have to big eyes :tongue: 

In the beginning... I looked for penguins on a minifig scale. The penguins of Friends came in the right direction, but the eyes were still not right. So grab a parrot, cut off the tail and a bit of paint works wonders:look:

Happy now in the year 2020 more new animal species are coming out on a minifig scale and what I expect, there will follow more in the coming years!

The BL- catalog has expanded considerably in recent years:wub:   Tigers, Jaguars, even skunks and camels. My zoo started with 4x2 baseplates, but at the moment 28x6 baseplates and still animal exhbits are added.

https://nl.pinterest.com/info_rickszoo/

Insta @info_rickszoo

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Rickszoo

Edited by Rick's Zoo

Yeah I have to admit that I have pretty exacting standards on this, and would agree with @Roebuck’s take on which few work. So I have been really glad to see so many new animal moulds in recent years - for example I just got the new CMF turtle today and it’s just *so* much better than the friends ones imho. 

Edited by williejm