Sign in to follow this  
KevinyWu

A Day at the Old Mill

This old mill in the Avalonian countryside has always been a reliable source of flour for nearby villages. A couple peasants spend their afternoon toiling and relaxing at the peaceful riverside location.

49357901243_6d02e49008_c.jpg

49358578737_ebe932a43e_c.jpg

What a fun build to do! I tried to change up my usual style here, in both the landscape and building. My favorite part is the top half of the windmill, which incorporates this brilliant technique I saw from user Julien Andries.

Beautiful. The level of texture is good without being excessive. I'm impressed that it looks so much bigger than it really is. And the vanes of the mill are really neat no matter who came up with them. Keep it up.

Looks great! The mill has a nice round shape. How did you do that? And the blades are simple but effective. I also love the water and the 2 minifigs that makes the build come to life.

As I said on Flickr, great layout for this build!  But I didn't mention how much I liked the bubbles on the surface of the stream and the little cart! :thumbup: 

10 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Beautiful. The level of texture is good without being excessive. I'm impressed that it looks so much bigger than it really is. And the vanes of the mill are really neat no matter who came up with them. Keep it up.

Thanks for the kind words. And yeah, it is small, the pictures I'm seeing from my moniter are not far from its actual size!

4 hours ago, (Luc)ky Luke said:

Looks great! The mill has a nice round shape. How did you do that? And the blades are simple but effective. I also love the water and the 2 minifigs that makes the build come to life.

I used wagon wheels, clips, and round 1x1 bricks, and then tiles to fill the walls, leaving room for some windows. Check the picture I linked in the description

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

As I said on Flickr, great layout for this build!  But I didn't mention how much I liked the bubbles on the surface of the stream and the little cart! :thumbup: 

Thanks again, Geneva! I appreciate how active you are in the community, commenting on so many builds across Flickr and Eurobricks!

Just now, KevinyWu said:

Thanks again, Geneva! I appreciate how active you are in the community, commenting on so many builds across Flickr and Eurobricks!

:laugh: Commenting is, after all, the easy part. :grin:

Just now, Kai NRG said:

:laugh: Commenting is, after all, the easy part. :grin:

This is exactly what I mean!! replying so quickly haha. Yes, commenting is easy, but not many people are like you, giving feedback shortly after MOCs are posted. It really is encouraging!

Lovely build!  The the blades on the windmill are really cool and you're right about the round tower technique, it's brilliant. :thumbup:

I like the happy atmosphere that you've created with this build! Also, the techniques used on the mill and tree are very life like and the path is great too!. All in all an amazing build with great photos and minifigures.:dsweet: 

Great work!  I especially love the tree made from the new three leaf pieces.  It looks parts intensive, but very good, since it mixes up the planes the leaves are on.  The SNOT tree bark looks great, too.  The wagon by the mill is a nice touch, and you did a good job incorporating the new technique for the walls.  The stream looks good, too, and I know you did it because it's on a base, but it looks kind of funny to have a two-direction waterfall off the edge of the base! :laugh:  Great job, and I look forward to your next build!

On 1/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, mrcp6d said:

Lovely build!  The the blades on the windmill are really cool and you're right about the round tower technique, it's brilliant. :thumbup:

Thanks, I went through a couple blade iterations before I settled on this one. They are the first things you see on a windmill, so it was important to me to get them just right.

9 hours ago, Eoin Wallace said:

I like the happy atmosphere that you've created with this build! Also, the techniques used on the mill and tree are very life like and the path is great too!. All in all an amazing build with great photos and minifigures.:dsweet: 

Glad you get a happy vibe from this build! I wanted to create a setting that I'd just like to chill at.

9 hours ago, Grover said:

Great work!  I especially love the tree made from the new three leaf pieces.  It looks parts intensive, but very good, since it mixes up the planes the leaves are on.  The SNOT tree bark looks great, too.  The wagon by the mill is a nice touch, and you did a good job incorporating the new technique for the walls.  The stream looks good, too, and I know you did it because it's on a base, but it looks kind of funny to have a two-direction waterfall off the edge of the base! :laugh:  Great job, and I look forward to your next build!

The tree is very parts intensive, but I luckily had a lot of the new grass 3 stem prices and a lot of the new leaves from PAB. I thought it was a good way to put both of them to use. And yeah, I do agree that the two direction waterfall looks a bit weird, but hey, it's fantasy, right??

Love all the techniques on display here!  I think your river takes a slightly-too-drastic turn, and would benefit from sloping one way or the other, but is otherwise handled very nicely. Really liking the weather vane too, that's a fun detail!  

5 hours ago, The Stad said:

Love all the techniques on display here!  I think your river takes a slightly-too-drastic turn, and would benefit from sloping one way or the other, but is otherwise handled very nicely. Really liking the weather vane too, that's a fun detail!  

You're right, it does look like a bit of a right angle...Thanks for the helpful feedback!

I really love this mill! That's a great technique for the upper half and I'd like to give it a try one of these days! I especially like the fence piece with the clear plates as the back window. Great landscape as well, keep up the good work!

Super well done managing such a small circular building so smoothly! The entrance roof, wind-vane, and tree are my favorite details.
Very nice mix of colors to create a natural looking landscape too :thumbup: