The Reader

Lego City 60267 Safari Off-Roader

I have a question concerning set 60267 Safari Off-Roader. Its instructions are available now (link).

The car looks great, but its interior seems strange to me. The car is 6 studs wide, but it fits only one minifig per seating row. There can't be seated two minifigs side by side. The walls beside the driver seat are each 2 studs wide which seems far too massive for me. Is this a common feature in modern, 6 studs wide LEGO-cars?

When I buy the set, I will try to modify the car's sides so that two minifigs can be seated side by side. Perhaps by using this part in the driver seat's area to hold the side panels.

I built this the other day & thought the same thing as you, for a 6wide vehicle there is very little internal space. I had originally thought it used the brackets you liked to these ones before I bought the set.

I have been mod-ing most of my 6 wide vehicles & rebuilding some of my older 4 wide to 6 wide to take 2 mini figs side by side

My first thought about this set was that it's a modern remake of 6672 Safari Off-road Vehicle.  My second thought was the same as yours: nice exterior look, but needlessly clumsy design with basically no interior.  My guess is that they were up against a budget issue (either time or cost) and it was easiest to just throw in those couple long bring and brackets and call it a day.  And all those stickers!  Yikes.

18 hours ago, RoddyMac said:

I built this the other day

Lucky you! The set isn't even on the shelves of my local toy store.

18 hours ago, RoddyMac said:

these 

Thanks for the hint. These 2x2 brackets seem of better use than the ones I thought of.

12 hours ago, deraven said:

My first thought about this set was that it's a modern remake of 6672 Safari Off-road Vehicle.

I think so, too. And set 6672 is a kind of remake of set 699.

it was easiest to just throw in those couple long bring

Yes, these long bricks used for the interior are annoying me.

And all those stickers!

Well, I don't like them either, but I can live with them - as we don't have any choice.

Edited by The Reader

I have checked the instructions - I think brackets won't work because they would be sitting too high so that the minifigs wouldn't have place. My "new" idea is replacing the two white 1x2 inverted slopes at the rear end of the front wheels by a modified brick, which has to hold the tile with the safari pattern which forms the side of the driver's cabin. Not sure though if this works ...

14 hours ago, deraven said:

My first thought about this set was that it's a modern remake of 6672 Safari Off-road Vehicle. 

It certainly is, LEGO even seems to have skipped a bunch of set numbers for this to end up with 6267 , which are the same numbers as 6672, leave out the zero from 60267.

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

which are the same numbers as 6672, leave out the zero from 60267

I absolutely noticed that too!  :laugh:

4 hours ago, The Reader said:

Lucky you! The set isn't even on the shelves of my local toy store

I visited my local Lego store (2 hours away) on the 2nd January & picked it up along with a few other sets.

Looking at the set earlier this evening I realised the brackets wouldn't work as I had thought, might just forget the 2no 2x3 plates on each side & just use a set of doors, I could even use the ones from 6267.

17 hours ago, deraven said:

My first thought about this set was that it's a modern remake of 6672 Safari Off-road Vehicle

RIGHT!!!!!! I mean soon I as I saw the vehicle the exact image of that set came into my mind. 

Tbh, City 2020 is actually giving me a lot of nostalgia come to think of it - even though I'm a 90s baby. The Safari Offroader is one of those. 

Edited by pooda

I still have the old one built at the place where I have my old LEGO, by now that set is 30 years old.

At least the vehicle, honestly haven't checked if I still got all 3 videotapes.

But I don't mix the old (pre 2000) and new (2016 onward) LEGO right now, maybe in the future I'd put the zebra doors on the newer car :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by TeriXeri

Is this set supposed to be a Landrover defender. It certainly looks like one. Good enough reason to get one:classic:

42 minutes ago, jonty14 said:

Is this set supposed to be a Landrover defender. It certainly looks like one. Good enough reason to get one:classic:

Yeah! It seems as though this year, City is basing some of their vehicles off of real cars like the Ford Mustang and Volkswagen van. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Alright we are missing the big question here.  Which is the superior animal figure with these two sets, the new one with the tan lion or the 6672 with the monkey?  I own 6672 so a bit biased toward the monkey.....he seams to get into everything in our city.

The new guy with the tree on his head is pretty funny.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, LegoDW said:

Alright we are missing the big question here.  Which is the superior animal figure with these two sets, the new one with the tan lion or the 6672 with the monkey?  I own 6672 so a bit biased toward the monkey....

Definitely the lioness! There was nothing special with the monkey, it had been in several other sets and I felt it was a wasted opportunity to give us a new animal back in the day. A zebra from a recolored horse would be much better without creating a new mould.. We also get a parrot as a bonus in the new set :wink:

On 1/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, LegoDW said:

Alright we are missing the big question here.  Which is the superior animal figure with these two sets, the new one with the tan lion or the 6672 with the monkey?  I own 6672 so a bit biased toward the monkey.....he seams to get into everything in our city.

I personally prefer the monkey. I think it offers more playabiliy.

4 hours ago, The Reader said:

I personally prefer the monkey. I think it offers more playabiliy.

I'd love to see the original 4-handed monkey return into Sets or Xtra.

Nowadays they can use so many colors for different types of monkeys even if it uses the same old design.

2015 Pirates didn't even have 1 monkey, so the last time they made one in brown was 2009. (and orange/silver in Ninjago 2016)

IDEAS Pirate Bay set has one in it's original design so maybe there's a chance to see it come back.

Edited by TeriXeri

Does anyone know when this set will be released in Germany?  It is not in the new catalogue. 

2 minutes ago, jonty14 said:

Does anyone know when this set will be released in Germany? 

Don't know. Haven't seen it on the shelves yet.

3 minutes ago, jonty14 said:

It is not in the new catalogue. 

It is only featured in the "mix" on page 2 - lower right corner.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:56 AM, Brandon Pea said:

RIGHT!!!!!! I mean soon I as I saw the vehicle the exact image of that set came into my mind. 

Tbh, City 2020 is actually giving me a lot of nostalgia come to think of it - even though I'm a 90s baby. The Safari Offroader is one of those. 

Totally, this and the street sweeper reminds me of 6649. I'm a 90s baby too and always wanted that and the pizza van, and the yellow chinook (i think was part of a bigger set, maybe an airport?)

Either way - I'm 50/50 on this one, seems like a bit of a clunky build. The lion is definitely the selling point! 

52 minutes ago, electropie said:

Totally, this and the street sweeper reminds me of 6649. I'm a 90s baby too and always wanted that and the pizza van, and the yellow chinook (i think was part of a bigger set, maybe an airport?)

Either way - I'm 50/50 on this one, seems like a bit of a clunky build. The lion is definitely the selling point! 

Exactly! I have the pizza van too. That one basically acts as the pizzeria for my town. I would recommend that Lego favors food trucks over stationary restaurants for City just so I could see more food trucks, but I think other people would be pissed. I also have the ice cream truck, though I had to switch the serving window to the other side so it could fit my town just right. 

I'm pretty conflicted myself on it. I'm wondering where it would fit. Maybe if I were to build a live safari exhibition in my town, it would fit. I might try that. 

Yeah, I was thinking something similar... maybe a zoo / safari part of a theme park if you have the coaster (etc)? (Currently trying to figure out where tf to put mine ?) Or maybe someone broke into the zoo and let the lions out... 

I'd love some more food trucks, tempted by the monster burger van but it sticks out like a sore thumb! 

28 minutes ago, electropie said:

I'd love some more food trucks, tempted by the monster burger van but it sticks out like a sore thumb! 

Yeah! The monster burger truck doesn't really fit. Even if I remove the big tires, I still have eight stud wide to content with.