peppe1983

[MOC] Second Project: BLACK PEARL

37 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

The shaping looks promising ... I would recommend making her longer though

Thanks for your comments :). 

Consider that the bow is still missing to get the final length.

As for the proportions (length and width), I should be very close to the real ones because I am following the construction plans of the wooden sailing ship.

Then it may seem a little too high, but 2/3 bricks in height should not be considered because they will be covered by the water that represents the waterline.

The mouths of the cannons seem to be slightly smaller and more spaced from each other ... But on this scale (about 1: 70), it cannot be done.

While on a minifig scale everything can be done more precisely .... as long as you give up the lego hull ;) 

On 1/9/2020 at 5:14 AM, Black Pearl said:

Looking really good so far! Love the detailing and shaping of the stern galleries! 

Edited by peppe1983

The MOC looks like it's off to an awesome start!

But how about we put some images in the topic because that will attract more attention as sometimes people don't bother to follow links to externally hosted images.

image.png

image.png

Hi everyone and thank you for your answers.

the project is going on with many difficulties, because of the small scale it is not easy to replicate the original model in every detail.

As you can see from the new photos I modified the aft hull under the cabin, then I replaced the lego cannons with moc cannons.

I am tempted to increase the space between the guns of two other bricks, but I should then redo everything.

At the moment I am finishing the main structure, then I will move on to the details that will not be easy to bring out because of the black color of the ship :(.

How does the ship look compared to minifigures?
seems too small?

The length of the model is about 63 cm (without the bowsprit)

Any advice or criticism is welcome :)

Sorry for the mistakes.
Thank you

Yeah great lookin' ship. Don't bother too much with the scale. It depends also what class of ship you build when it comes to the size. Just make it looking great!  Lego does also give nothing about scale. :thumbup:

Nice to see that your ship is going thinner (tapering?) toward the stern and the deck is raising. As you did it I also would go for dark tan deck planks. It looks better than a brown tone and the normal tan is too bright for a black pirate ship. Keep in mind to put a Technic axle trough the masts for stability. So you should use Technic plates with holes in it. For the masts you could alternatively use Support 2 x 2 x 11 Solid Pillar. In black they are quite affordable.

Hello everybody, I share naval updates with you :) I'm quite satisfied with the shape, even if the scaling doesn't allow too many details to be entered. even the black color is a real problem when you want to enter the details ... at the moment the color of the bridge is dark gray, but in the end I will decide whether to change it to brown, then adjusting the cannons and the rest ... there are some things that are not definitive, such as the interior, the cannons and other details ... the interiors are still to be completed ... I accept advice, criticisms and everything you want to improve my work ... Ps: I am considering putting it on lego ideas once finished .... but I have to resize it because I'm already at 2800 pieces !!! A greeting joseph

black-pearl-incl-da-sotto-16-4.png

black-pearl-incl-da-sotto-16-4-2.png

black-pearl-incl-da-sotto-16-4-2-3.png

Edited by peppe1983

there is something that does not convince me in form, maybe I should slightly lower the aft cabin or maybe the bow that must be raised a little ...
I'm trying to respect the dimensions of the original, but there is something out of place ....
Maybe it should be a little longer?
help me to see some errors in the shape of the hull please :)

black-pearl-incl-da-sotto-19-4.png

Edited by peppe1983

ok i try :)

consider that the only change I made to the structure is that the distance between the guns has been reduced.

For maximum accuracy I had to put six bricks between each cannon, instead of 4 (as I did) ... but I had to make this change to have the more contained measures :(

Immagine-black-pearl-1.png

I'd say first remove the curvature from the bow nose and make it straight or more straight.

This will change the optical perception of the ship's shape. Do this first and then re-examine and re-evaluate..

latest?cb=20111020200643

here is my final version of the black pearl hull.

I still have to work on the masts and sails, but I prefer to deal directly with the assembly.

Let me know what you think,
A greeting
Giuseppe

black-pearl-incl-da-sotto-23-4.png

On 4/19/2020 at 5:55 PM, peppe1983 said:

Immagine-black-pearl-1.png

Ok so I see one major flaw and one minor design issue.

The design issue I'm seeing us your crowding your lanteen sail ... I think the spacing on the main and fore masts are good but the main yo mizzen is too close ... The only way around this would be to add length to the hull.

The major flaw I see is your basing your rigging off a movie prop.   Those masts are not complete and are only enough rigging for deck shots ... They would cgi the rest of the masts

Otherwise it's looking beautiful ... I may mimic yours when I get around to rebuilding my pearl

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Ok so I see one major flaw and one minor design issue.

The design issue I'm seeing us your crowding your lanteen sail ... I think the spacing on the main and fore masts are good but the main yo mizzen is too close ... The only way around this would be to add length to the hull.

The major flaw I see is your basing your rigging off a movie prop.   Those masts are not complete and are only enough rigging for deck shots ... They would cgi the rest of the masts

Otherwise it's looking beautiful ... I may mimic yours when I get around to rebuilding my pearl

On 10/1/2020 at 20:17, Roadmonkeytj said:

Yes you are right, however the limit I have set myself is that of not exceeding 75/80 cm.
To make the hull with the same proportions as the real one I would have to add 2 more central sections and space the cannons at least 6 bricks (now 4).
As for the trees, the sails and the shrouds, I prefer to do them live by assembling the pieces.

If I had to increase the central sections of the ship I would have to reach 90 cm and then it becomes complicated if I have to insert it in a diorama :(

If I keep these proportions, maybe I should move the last wing a little further back?