Captain Dee

The Honor of Your [Sigfig's] Presence is Requested...

*whispers in the wind* I heard the madman has bought all the world's gold jumper supplies!

*stock markets crash - in the distance sirens*

5 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Only a 34 x 34 floor ?

I thought about ten times this value :tongue:

Your chandelier will outreach the border

Sir Dee hates dancing, and therefore the ballroom is quite small, so... :grin: Ten times? Have you been spying on me?

I haven't decided on the exact floor arrangement quite yet. The gold inside the center of that design will be swapped for white, and the patch of dark red inside that will probably include some black.

3 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

*whispers in the wind* I heard the madman has bought all the world's gold jumper supplies!

*stock markets crash - in the distance sirens*

Goldfinger strikes again!! :devil_laugh:

Every update you add un-hinges my jaw a little more. Absolutely love that you're bringing this back and simply cannot wait to see what else you have planned! :excited:

On 1/23/2020 at 4:19 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Also, we'll have to keep a close eye on Kolonialbeamter. If his conspiracy theories get around town gossip, no one will attend! Or...mabye...that's his plan! What else are you hiding from us Beamter?!?! :devil:

49434447428_c455b90e7a_z.jpg

Jorin and Luise Farresman will join the event, as his name by now is well known amongst seafarers.
Also a Navy Officer, William Weathergauge, who I hereby introduce. 

@The Neighborhood Merchant For some reason the mobile editor refuses to quote your post so I'll just do it this way. I guess I've mentioned or posted teaser pics of parts of the entry drive, dining hall, ballroom, and hall of mirrors. Beyond that it's a matter of "how much do I want to commit myself to building?" No hints. :grin:

1 hour ago, Wellesley said:

Jorin and Luise Farresman will join the event, as his name by now is well known amongst seafarers.
Also a Navy Officer, William Weathergauge, who I hereby introduce. 

Excellent. The couple will be easy enough to build, and thanks for including her. I have several copies of that dress.

"Weathergauge," haha, good one. :classic: Is that torso a custom? If so, could I substitute one of the 2015 admiral torsos in that same color blue? I have several...

And a question for everyone: does anyone know of a good minifig-scale brick-built violin design? I'm not getting the Brickforge custom piece, (as pretty as it is) and I need... "several" violins. I'm wondering if a layered plate design consisting of 1x2 jumpers and centered 1x1 plates with a short bar or telescope (or similar) on top would look good? I want something that would look good with, for example, a brick-built double bass, which I have a design for. As I said, no hints. :grin:

30 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Is that torso a custom?

It is this Star Wars torso. But no problem, if you change it.

I'll think about the violin. Any other instruments?

Just now, Wellesley said:

It is this Star Wars torso. But no problem, if you change it.

I'll think about the violin. Any other instruments?

Oh! Ok. The way the light is shining on that torso, it almost looks like a decal or something.

Other instruments? Uh, well, maybe... :grin:

7 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

does anyone know of a good minifig-scale brick-built violin design

As far as my knowledge goes, small scale non-molded instruments are quite difficult to make if not unrealistic with our current part list. However, there are a lot of geniuses on this form and I'm sure someone here can do it. I took a shot at it to see if I could help, but it's far from perfect. Since it is such a small instrument, I wasn't able to add much curvature. The 3L bar is far too long for the thin part, so I used a cut hose (luckily a legal technique) to get the optimal length on that. The main bulk of the body is what I struggled with. Anyhow, here's how it came out:

49436673088_921b47eebe_z.jpg3 part by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Left most is more "detailed" but a bigger model using 2L cut hose. Middle is the same as the left but with 3L bar. I just added this just incase you took interest in making it a different stringed instrument. Rightmost has minimal addons, making it actually very proportionate, but still not very detailed.

If anyone else wants to take a shot at this, here's my other part palette for some inspiration :laugh:

Time flies when you're a newbie. This took me 2 hours. :wacko:

2 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

As far as my knowledge goes, small scale non-molded instruments are quite difficult to make if not unrealistic with our current part list...

Since it is such a small instrument, I wasn't able to add much curvature.

Reveal hidden contents

Exactly. I couldn't say it better myself.

And thanks for the input. Those are certainly creative. I had tinkered with the idea I posted previously and generally liked the shape, even if it lacked curvature. However:

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

You could also try the violin created by brickforge found here: https://brickforge.com/collections/instruments

It's pretty detailed by the looks of it and might be a good option.

Ok, I feel stupid. For some reason I had it in my head that Brickforge was overseas, and I don't buy international just to avoid dealing with customs and all that. They're actually in Arkansas *facepalm* That's great news. I'll have to give that a serious look after all. Thanks for sharing the link!

It just irks me that TLG produces the violin case piece (per Bricklink description) but no violin (or other instruments besides eleventeen different electric guitars, for that matter). A part of me wants to make a build of a full orchestra worth of musicians playing their violin cases in protest of this grave injustice.

Edited by Captain Dee

13 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

or other instruments besides eleventeen different electric guitars, for that matter

Actually, *ahem* there's a really nice (non electric) guitar and also a sax, and a printed 3L bar that is a fair representative of a wood flute. 

But yes, there should be more instruments!

58 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Actually, *ahem* there's a really nice (non electric) guitar and also a sax, and a printed 3L bar that is a fair representative of a wood flute. 

But yes, there should be more instruments!

Yeah, I know. I got multiples of both the acoustic guitar and flute with the CMFs, and I got the sax (and piano) with the Friends Grand Hotel. But I couldn't fit many more words in that sentence!

800x800.jpg

800x500.jpg

On 1/23/2020 at 2:33 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Only a 34 x 34 floor ?

I thought about ten times this value :tongue:

Your chandelier will outreach the border.

Ten times? You think I'm crazy or something? You're way off. :tongue: Good guess though. :grin:

@Kai NRG We forgot the old classic chromed bugle from the last millennium, and the horn that came with the CMF clown. I'm thinking of getting several of those horns and filing the black ball ends off to make a decent approximation of trumpets...

Edited by Captain Dee

On 1/25/2020 at 7:31 AM, Captain Dee said:

does anyone know of a good minifig-scale brick-built violin design?

I've seen a snowshoe used as a variety of stringed instruments. Looks pretty decent. It's clear what it represents. Poses reasonably well.

13 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

I've seen a snowshoe used as a variety of stringed instruments. Looks pretty decent. It's clear what it represents. Poses reasonably well.

I've also seen an upside-down chicken leg used for strings. It's kinda crude, but it doesn't look bad, and the scale is just about perfect. But I think I'll give Brickforge a try, and hopefully use the piece as both violin and viola...

Here's a simple brick-built violin/viola design that I came up with, if anyone is interested:

800x600.jpg

800x500.jpg

"What do you mean, 'real violins aren't made of gold'?" Sir Dee groused. "Every violin I've ever played in my entire life was made of gold. Yes, of course I play violin! Alright, alright, if you want to get technical, then I imagine that if I ever attempted to play a violin, that I could probably coax some sort of sound from it. Happy? Sheesh." :hmpf: :grin:

"Oh, and did someone mention apples?" *cracks knuckles*

I gave it a try but a violin at this scale is very difficult.

My best attempt still is oversized and way to thick:

49451303501_01a1ef3aa5_c.jpg49451533852_ff7a710472_c.jpg

Also a cello, which is more a fun idea than serious:

49450821803_e6783622a7_c.jpg49450821708_4b9be3674e_c.jpg

And a lute or mandolin like instrument:

49450821583_fdd62ca49e_c.jpg

Other useful elements I thought about using:

49451533762_729d026032_c.jpg

I also like the above mentioned idea of using chicken legs and want to add the frying pan to the list.

I won't be posting many more teaser pics here until the project is near completion.

@blackdeathgr I had seen some of the photos from that topic already but thanks anyway. :wink:

It seems to me that many of those instruments are a bit larger than minifig scale though. Of course, most of the accessories are, but still...

And technically a few (like the French Horn) can't be built in the colors shown.

The molded sax is a thing of beauty. That same approach to more instruments would be perfect; however at the rate TLG is going it will be a few centuries before they release all the instruments of a full orchestra. :cry_sad:

On 1/25/2020 at 4:38 PM, Captain Dee said:

Ok, I feel stupid. For some reason I had it in my head that Brickforge was overseas, and I don't buy international just to avoid dealing with customs and all that. They're actually in Arkansas *facepalm* That's great news. I'll have to give that a serious look after all. Thanks for sharing the link!

I'm a bit late to the party, but I have a Brickforge violin, as seen in this early BoBS MOC:

24635678644_f536cd276d.jpg

In case you were still wavering I thought it might help to see it used in a MOC. (I probably should use it more.... as I think this was the one and only time I have done!)