Captain Dee

The Honor of Your [Sigfig's] Presence is Requested...

I think that "impressive" (both for the table and the candle holder) is reductive! Your furniture is already wonderful (they would deserve their own thread) and I'm looking forward to seeing the event! Since my main character has just returned to civilization after the long campaign of Charlatan Bay, Tristan would be glad and honoured to join (I add here the minifigure pic; consider, however, that any blue uniform/elegant suit will work, so don't bother at all buying new parts for him).

PS The sword is a classic pirate sabre in pearl gold, but a grey sabre will work well too.

The Captain

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Wow... Sir Dee does everything on such a magnificent scale.  Guy will be careful not to eat breakfast ahead of time. :pir-grin:

Breakfast will be served the morning of the ball for the early arrivals, followed by lunch and dinner at the appropriate times. In between there will be various entertainments, followed by the ball in the evening.

Seriously. :wink:

See, I told you I had 6 or 7 lobster. :grin:

@Keymonus Great design. I think I can pull that from my collection.

"These had better be turkeys and not pelicans," Sir Dee mused.

800x600.jpg

Edited by Captain Dee

1 minute ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Must...resist...temptation...:moar:

I need to...go eat a meal...consisting of chicken, t-bone steaks, and loster...just, uh- coincidence. yeah...

Gorgeous chandeliers, by the way. Love them! :wub_drool:

:grin:

The small chandeliers are the more elegant of the 2, methinks. Which is to say, they do a better job of representing the real thing. And they're much easier to build and get good pics of. As for the big one... that design was the first thing I built for this project. The real-world counterpart, specifically the main piece in the Biltmore Ballrooms, is my favorite style of crystal chandelier. This model is... ugh, a headache to build... Replicate at your own risk. And whatever you do, don't drop it! :cry_sad:

Please. don't. breathe.

:grin:  Is it just me or is that top connection to the wheel a little tenuous?

29 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Please. don't. breathe.

:grin:  Is it just me or is that top connection to the wheel a little tenuous?

Breathe all you want, just handle with care. :classic:

The top is really the most sturdy section, and doesn't pull apart easily at all. When I tried to pull the top wheel off, it stubbornly held and when it finally gave it was with a tremendous jerk that sent parts flying everywhere! Having so many clips really spreads the weight around and collectively hold very tight, and the plates are fully overlapped on the straight-vertical part, so it doesn't give under reasonable handling. I have twirled it around pretty freely holding just below the top wheel.

The bottom half is another story. The main connections to the big inner wheel (the so-called "giant" size) are again very sturdy, but all those runs of plates connected by single studs are maddeningly difficult to align, and somewhat floppy too. If you look close you can see all sorts of stuff hanging crooked down there. I plan to rework it and straighten things up as much as possible for the final scenes.

I went on BrickLink in search of trans-clear 1x3 plates, because stairstepping them on 2 studs would form a nice straight run, and... yeah. Very rare, very expensive, very frustrating.

Hanging the chandelier by the top wheel will require something to go through the wheel axle hole to lift from the bottom; there is simply no way a topside connection will support the weight. I haven't decided how I'm going to suspend them yet.

I'm not sure which is more impressive, the turkeys or the chandelier! :pir-oh:

Willem Guilder will be honored to attend your little shindig. :pir-grin:

guilder_with_pegleg.jpg

The torso is from POTC, the head is HP.

1 minute ago, Captain Dee said:

Snack time.

I just had lunch, but I'm feeling hungry again for some reason. Great job "setting the table."

7 minutes ago, Captain Dee said:

Thank you - that makes it easy!

Glad to help. I love seeing gatherings of sigfigs.

And if I can include a second fig, Captain Janszen would also like to attend, if he ever gets back from the New Haven Sea.

pip_janszen.jpg

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

I just had lunch, but I'm feeling hungry again for some reason. Great job "setting the table."

The two table scenes show the conundrum of working with minifigs. The accessories are basically too big, so the table is overly crowded. This last scene looks far more balanced to me, especially the size of the chairs relative to the place settings. The entrees require the bigger plates, which just throws everything off. Oh well...

What a nice design, that chandelier, absolutely gorgeous.

The Duc d'Ablette and chef d'escabdre Lagaufre are packing  their things and hope to arrive on time to the Ball. 

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

The Duc d'Ablette and chef d'escabdre Lagaufre are packing  their things and hope to arrive on time to the Ball. 

What does the Duc wear? Same as Lagaufre? And would you happen to know the source of Lagaufre's hair/beard piece?

5 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

And if I can include a second fig, Captain Janszen would also like to attend, if he ever gets back from the New Haven Sea.

Of course! Could you perhaps ID that torso?

2 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Could you perhaps ID that torso?

It's from set 6192, Pirates Building Set, from 2009.

3 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

What does the Duc wear? Same as Lagaufre? And would you happen to know the source of Lagaufre's hair/beard piece?

Any blue uniform, the hair/beard piece comes from the 70631 Garmadon's base.

The Brickfords would be honored to attended your Banquet!

40228461782_ac4aa594d9_m.jpgNB by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Major Nathaniel Brickford shouldn't be to hard to reproduce. A regular imperial solider torso and some white legs is all your need.

25402057197_218787f471_m.jpgRB by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Richard Brickford's got light grey pants and white epaulets. His face is from an older city set. If you don't have the hair piece, a black tri-corner hat would work just fine. His Torso doesn't come in straight black, so this one would work just fine: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb1312c01#T=S&C=5&O={"color":5,"iconly":0}

Looking forward to the grand feast! 

Excellent idea, and it seems like you have done some small first steps already. If a company of WTC Marines was invited, those supplies would hardl be enough for a first course though! :pir_laugh2:

My original sigifg is still somewhere in the jungles of Celestia, and Mordo was just sent to the far East, so none of my "proper" characters can attend. That might change, but I'd like to rule them out for now.

However, newly appointed WTC Administrator Arthur Mengsk would most certainly enjoy the festivities.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

Excellent idea, and it seems like you have done some small first steps already.

Tonight I placed all the floor tiles (2000+) in the dining hall except the joints between baseplates, which doesn't seem like much building, but it's something. And it's looking big. Yikes.

If a company of WTC Marines was invited, those supplies would hardly be enough for a first course though! :pir_laugh2:

Yeah, I know. 'Tis the trouble with building/creating with LEGO. A realistic setting gets big and pricey in a hurry...

My original sigifg is still somewhere in the jungles of Celestia, and Mordo was just sent to the far East, so none of my "proper" characters can attend. That might change, but I'd like to rule them out for now.

However, newly appointed WTC Administrator Arthur Mengsk would most certainly enjoy the festivities.

Reveal hidden contents

I would love to include both your sigfig (Reinhard?) and Mordo. As I said before, the unknown timeline for this project will make it hard to sync with anyone's stories and characters' locations, so I'd like to use everyone's main characters, even if it just amounts to a cameo. I would rather not use Arthur; I don't have the main body parts, can't really use them elsewhere and don't really want to buy them just for this. What about the Royal Conductor, Epper? And what about the WTC in general? I don't have those raider torsos, but I wonder if I couldn't do a "formal" version in very similar colors? I already have some dialog worked up for the WTC that I think you'd enjoy... 

I can probably find a few more characters if you'd like, but I think this should do :wink:

49356782868_58e328ffe0_c.jpg

From left to right:
Don Isaac Montoya, Sir Michael Farley, Rear-admiral Samuel Fletcher, Captain Sir Jonathan Cooke, Charles Baker.

If you want some named female figs for the gathering, I can offer a couple of my minor characters: Madame Marian Villeneuve of Oleon and Lady Pauline Norrington of Corrington. Villeneuve's dress is from the Legends of Chima Ewald character, and Norrington's dress is from the Kingdoms queen, but any blue and red dress respectively can do for them.