The Brick Boss

Lego Island and Lego City are the same place?

Hello Eurobricks! Brandon Pea here. I'm in a good mood this morning so I thought I'd bring up a theory about my favorite Lego game of all time (Nay! My favorite PC Game of all time). 

LEGO ISLAND!!!!!!!

This theory is basically that LEGO City is actually LEGO Island in the present day. For some reason, every time I look back at older City sets (that being ones from 2005-2009) and even recent ones, I tend to see characters that bare a blatant resemblance to characters from the Lego Island saga......and its not just in Lego City. I mean.......doesn't one of these guys look familiar to you?  I know! I know! The guy in the picture is named Ronny. Sounds like Pepper's real name to me. I even see references in other sets too. Like Nubby Stevens making an appearance in the 7638 Tow Truck from 2009Nick Brick, Laura Brick and the Brickster in 60047? Then there is the farmer from the harvester set for 2019 who bares a striking resemblance to Red Greenbase. That's just the tip of the ice berk. If I were to give all the possible examples I know of, we'd be here until summer. But I think Lego is deliberately doing this to play with the minds of Lego Island fans. We also know that throughout time, Lego Island evolved and became a much more diverse place with cities and everything (judging from the various cutscenes throughout the video games). Lego Island obviously became too diverse so the Infomaniac decided to rename Lego Island to what we now know as Lego City. 

Unfortunately, this theory could also be debunked pretty easily. Lego town sets came long before Lego Island was made in 1997. But as Lego's first open world video game, it certainly made a huge impact on town fans, thus why that remains the most popular theme under Lego to this very day. Perhaps Lego wanted to continue that success and decided to base some of the minifigures off of Lego Island characters. I mean, we do see it a lot in media where one movie seems too similar to another. 

But I love this theory and its kind fun to overthink a little. Sound off in the forum. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

I've always assumed that City is the same reality as classic Town in the present day, and that the country is still called Legoland!

Lego City, Legoland. Why does that sound like it works? 

I used to call the country, Legonia! With Lego City being its capital. 

That Lego Island game was amazing as a kid. Fond memories.

I think that yeah it was essentially Lego City/Town but set on an island so as to restrict the size of the game world due to hardware limitations of the time. A lot of the stuff in the game was clearly inspired by the System Town sets of the same time, like the Pizza to Go set released a year prior to the game and recurring Town/City subject matter like coast guard, police, racing, hospital and Octan all present in the game.

Lego-island.jpg

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

That Lego Island game was amazing as a kid. Fond memories.

Yes Sir! The 1st one was awesome. The 2nd one was kinda neh though. Island Xtreme Stunts wasn't too bad. 

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

I think that yeah it was essentially Lego City/Town but set on an island so as to restrict the size of the game world due to hardware limitations of the time. A lot of the stuff in the game was clearly inspired by the System Town sets of the same time, like the Pizza to Go set released a year prior to the game and recurring Town/City subject matter like coast guard, police, racing, hospital and Octan all present in the game.

RIGHT!?! Its the same place. People want a revival of Lego Island, but we've been actually getting it since 2006. 

13 hours ago, pooda said:

Sorry, I just haven't any nostalgia for the LEGO Island videogames since I didn't grow-up with them, not to mention that I also really don't get that much into the whole interconnected worldbuilding of Lego playthemes and the speculative discussion of such. :def_shrug:

It's a conspiracy theory!!! haha

my nephew and i played lego island a lot together. Good times, even better memories

i do not think everything is connected though :roflmao:

I did play LEGO Island and LEGO Creator on PC when they were current, and also LEGO Racers on the Nintendo 64.

I didn't have the infomaniac minifigure of LEGO island, not all boxed versions had it included.

But I did get Biker Bob with the Creator game.

But I never played the sequels, like LEGO Island 2 , or Island Xtreme Stunts, both came out at the start of my no-LEGO period which started after 2000.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/6/2020 at 7:43 AM, TeriXeri said:

But I never played the sequels, like LEGO Island 2 , or Island Xtreme Stunts, both came out at the start of my no-LEGO period which started after 2000.

You didn't miss anything with LI2. Lego Island 2 was boring as I don't know what. You could only play as Pepper and you could hardly go in any of the buildings. Even after the game was over, this was still the case. I'm empathetic, but Lego Media could've done better with that one. 

Edited by The Brick Boss

Never played the game, but checked out some videos. It seems likely I suppose. It could also be that they just threw sets of the time in the game. But hey, it’s a fun theory that could work. 

11 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Never played the game, but checked out some videos. It seems likely I suppose. It could also be that they just threw sets of the time in the game. But hey, it’s a fun theory that could work. 

Yeah! I did debunk my own theory in the second paragraph. Might as well do it before someone else does. :laugh:

Edited by pooda

5 hours ago, pooda said:

Yeah! I did debunk my own theory in the second paragraph. Might as well do it before someone else does. :laugh:

One thing that also supports it, the newer video games, namely the one with Chase McCain (not sure if there's been any others, to be honest) seem to portray LEGO City as an island as well, though it is considerably bigger than LEGO Island.  Perhaps the Infomaniac was able to get a better processor for the city, or he increased the RAM :grin:

3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

One thing that also supports it, the newer video games, namely the one with Chase McCain (not sure if there's been any others, to be honest) seem to portray LEGO City as an island as well, though it is considerably bigger than LEGO Island.  Perhaps the Infomaniac was able to get a better processor for the city, or he increased the RAM :grin:

True. :laugh:

Even in the mini movies, its seen as an island. 

On 1/5/2020 at 6:37 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Hello Eurobricks! Pooda here. I'm in a good mood this morning so I thought I'd bring up a theory about my favorite Lego game of all time (Nay! My favorite PC Game of all time). 

LEGO ISLAND!!!!!!!

This theory is basically that LEGO City is actually LEGO Island in the present day. For some reason, every time I look back at older City sets (that being ones from 2005-2009) and even recent ones, I tend to see characters that bare a blatant resemblance to characters from the Lego Island saga......and its not just in Lego City. I mean.......doesn't one of these guys look familiar to you?  I know! I know! The guy in the picture is named Ronny. Sounds like Pepper's real name to me. I even see references in other sets too. Like Nubby Stevens making an appearance in the 7638 Tow Truck from 2009Nick Brick, Laura Brick and the Brickster in 60047? Then there is the farmer from the harvester set for 2019 who bares a striking resemblance to Red Greenbase. That's just the tip of the ice berk. If I were to give all the possible examples I know of, we'd be here until summer. But I think Lego is deliberately doing this to play with our minds. We also know that throughout time, Lego Island evolved and became a much more diverse place with cities and everything (judging from the various cutscenes throughout the video games). Lego Island obviously became too diverse so the Infomaniac decided to rename Lego Island to what we now know as Lego City. 

Unfortunately, this theory could also be debunked pretty easily. Lego town sets came long before Lego Island was made in 1997. But as Lego's first open world video game, it certainly made a huge impact on town fans, thus why that remains the most popular theme under Lego to this very day. Perhaps Lego wanted to continue that success and decided to base some of the minifigures off of Lego Island characters. 

But I love this theory and its kind fun to overthink a little. Sound off in the forum. 

Ok, a little side theory that goes with this: Introducing the LEGO Timeline Theory! 

I think it's safe to assume that LEGO Town turned into World City and World City Turned into City. I think it's also safe to say that most of the main LEGO original themes that are placed in the "real world" exist in the same universe (example: Arctic, Town, Island, etc. all exist in the same timeline, with the licensed themes existing in different universes along with a few of the action themes). So I think that the real LEGO timeline in regards to minifigures is that LEGO Castle (and all the Castle themes that are "realistic") starts it all off. I'm not going to get into the origins of the LEGO universe or anything like that, but for the timeline, we start off with the things that come first in world history (example: swords and armor was first before the more modern day stuff like City). Some time after Castle (maybe about 700 - 800-ish years as the middle ages ran from 476 AD - 1453), we get Pirates, which lasts about 400 years, then we start to get themes like Western, and that would last maybe all of 150 years. At the tail end of the Western era (which seems to be based on the Western of America) during that time, the Pirates era of buildings have started to get transferred slowly into maybe a middle ground between Pirates, Western, and Town, and soon it would transfer into LEGO Town, with not much in the way of new technology, but in the time between Pirates and Town, they would have discovered things like engines, gas, and, importantly, space flight. The main continents of the LEGO Timeline would work together to create the LEGO Space Division, which would be where the original LEGO Space theme shows up. During this time, LEGO Island would take place, a set of islands that are separate from the main continents where people want to live a bit of a simpler life with not as much hustle and bustle of the main continents. One of these islands would be the one we explore in the LEGO Island, and that one is called LEGO Island, while one of the others is called Blacktron, and they specialize in space exploration and is also where both Blacktron themes originate and they are called the Blacktron Space Corporation (even though the Blacktron island/government also, of course have their own city/town). The other islands would be home to some other islands that are similar to LEGO Island, with a few smaller towns. During the next 10 years or so, other towns in the main continents will develop their own space divisions, making room for some of the other LEGO Space themes that originated on Earth (not all, but more on that later). During the Space era, while the towns and cities on Earth would begin to move into modern day, sending up more spaceships and building more space bases on the moon and a few other distant planets, the rival space divisions and groups would begin fighting each other over areas, making the main continents of the LEGO World join forces to create the LEGO Space Police Division to help regulate everything and to keep space safe. During this time, it will be discovered that aliens exists, and now everyone in space, from the LEGO Space Division to Blacktron to Space Police must ban together to defeat the aliens after failing to make piece with the aliens. The aliens and the space divisions of Earth would be brought into deep space, where there would be room enough for everybody and they would still be able to contact Earth and tell them everything that's going on. After finding so many new planets, the aliens and space divisions of Earth make peace and go on to explore planets, including later on an icy one.

Back on Earth, LEGO Town has expanded to include Rock Raiders and Arctic, as they have found more areas to explore. The LEGO World has gotten more advanced, from going from steam trains to diesel to now, in some places, monorail. LEGO Town has expanded in size about 20x, and will continue to grow, limiting the space between each town/city, while still leaving plenty of room between them. There would be a few years of expansion and building before the LEGO Sports theme begins, with soccer, snowboarding, American football, and hockey (racing has already been around for about 5 years or so). With LEGO Town bustling, it only takes about 22 years (and, in that time, the LEGO Space Division sends up a group of explorers to explore the icy planet, and that is where the Ice Planet 2002 theme comes in) until LEGO Town becomes LEGO World City in 2003. LEGO World City lasts only 2 years before World City becomes City in 2005, with lots of areas for farms, forests, mountains, lakes, everything. In 2005, people start to populate parts of the northern areas of Earth, which is how the Winter Village theme started. In 2005, the Dino Attack theme starts and ends. In 2007, after the LEGO Agents theme started in one of the of the other cities, in the same city as the Agents theme, Power Miners starts. Galaxy Squad also starts with a group of recruits: Ashlee Starstrider, Billy Starbeam, Chuck Stonebreaker, Jack Fireblade, Max Solarflare, a few different robots, and Solomon Blaze going out into space as an old transmitter was reactivated after it picked up two different groups of aliens: the bug-like Bugtoids and the bright green aliens known as the Alientoids (I don't have a better name for them at the moment). Scrambling for protection, they launch the recruits into space as part of Galaxy Squad, while launching the Alien Defense Unit to protect the Earth. LEGO City is in the clear, they send food and things like that to help the people of the other city. After about a year, both aliens are destroyed, causing LEGO City to spearhead the launch of the new LEGO Space Police Division, sending more Space Police officers out into space than ever before. After the war, Solomon Blaze works as head of the Space Police Earth Division for years until one of the islands has a prison that holds some of the worst super-powered criminals malfunctions, letting the criminals go. Solomon Blaze, now older, gets a call from his uncle, Chase Blaze, former LEGO Agent who is now head of the LEGO Earth Protection Force, which is in charge of all the varied agencies whose base of operations is on Earth. He tells Solomon he wants him to be in charge of the new Ultra Agents, the latest division of the LEGO Earth Protection Force. Solomon agrees, and along with Agents Caila Phoenix, Agent Curtis Bolt, Agent Jack Fury, Agent Max Burns, Agent Steve Zeal, Agent Trey Swift, and everybody not working on the field take down the criminals. After that, Rex Fury reappears and Chase McCain defeats him and brings him to justice. Things have been going good since then, with everybody, including the people in LEGO Island living a happy life.

So, that's my brief idea on the basic storyline, now I may do a timeline later that cuts out most of the story details and includes other LEGO themes so it's more complete.

Thanks! I think whenever I do the less detailed and story-driven timeline, I'll do it so every single original theme fits in, but your post is what inspired me to do this. Thank you for that. I think Pepper should return in a people pack along with other LEGO Island characters.

3 hours ago, xxix5 said:

I think Pepper should return in a people pack along with other LEGO Island characters.

I think so too. Maybe modern day versions of them. 

What great theories!! To be honest, I would love to see Lego City brining back Lego Island characters!

6 hours ago, Lion King said:

What great theories!! To be honest, I would love to see Lego City brining back Lego Island characters!

Me too! Especially Pepper.  

It was interesting to see LEGO make a Ronny figure in 70422: Shrimp Shack Attack , back from Hidden Side 2019.

Pepper Roni, and Ronny names, then the very similar pizza with 1 slice print red torso, blue pants and orange hair.

hs028.png

And there was another reference to a character that could be Pepper via the 2009/2013 City Corner set, it does have the same head as 2002, red/blue torso, skateboard and pizza, the main differences are the lack of pizza torso print, and using short legs.

Edited by TeriXeri

37 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

It was interesting to see LEGO make a Ronny figure in 70422: Shrimp Shack Attack , back from Hidden Side 2019.

Pepper Roni, and Ronny names, then the very similar pizza with 1 slice print red torso, blue pants and orange hair.

hs028.png

And there was another reference to a character that could be Pepper via the 2009/2013 City Corner set, it does have the same head as 2002, red/blue torso, skateboard and pizza, the main differences are the lack of pizza torso print, and using short legs.

Before the Modular Building set was revealed in December last year, Jazz Club did remind me of Pepper Roni’s apotive parents, Mama and Papa Brickolini, because they ran a pizza shop and they sang / played music.  Jazz Club has a pizzeria and jazz club together but no Mama and Papa minifigures when it’s already revealed. 

6 hours ago, Lion King said:

Before the Modular Building set was revealed in December last year, Jazz Club did remind me of Pepper Roni’s apotive parents, Mama and Papa Brickolini, because they ran a pizza shop and they sang / played music.  Jazz Club has a pizzeria and jazz club together but no Mama and Papa minifigures when it’s already revealed. 

I agree! Plus, I thought of the pedestrian crew (Red Greenbase, Polly Gone, Shiney Doris and Bradford Brickford) having a jazz band.