8 hours ago, leafan said:

Based on the leaked pictures, I have lost 100% of my interest in this theme and it hasn't even been announced yet.

How did we get from a potential Castle/Pirate theme to this?

Glad we have other options for those two themes now.

It's still too early to judge though. We have barely seen two minifigures. There would be a lot more to the theme than that. Keep your opinion for when we get actual pictures of the sets.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

It's still too early to judge though. We have barely seen two minifigures. There would be a lot more to the theme than that. Keep your opinion for when we get actual pictures of the sets.

Just from the two pictures alone it's pretty clear that this theme will be similar to the Big Bangs before it. It's possible that it will have a larger historical component than usual but that second figure looks like it's straight out of Nexo Knights. Wouldn't be shocked if it's the usual motorcycles and mechs again :shrug_confused:

I’m seeing a lot of speculation that this theme will be just like previous big bangs, and I’ll admit I’m no business expert, but surely LEGO would want to differentiate this one from Nexo and Chima seeing as they didn’t reach the dizzying height of Ninjago’s success? Obviously there’s something formulaic about how these lines work and what gets children’s attention, so there’ll be some big bikes and mechs and such. But surely they’ll try to do something noticeably different with this one? Right? 

I was so excited about the Leaf theme and all the rumors, but every bit of news about it since the logo leaked is draining my excitement meter faster and faster.

44 minutes ago, Tobias_Jay said:

But surely they’ll try to do something noticeably different with this one? Right

If they don't want this line to fail, they would be required to do so. After all, if this line is also big bang, also Asian-inspired, and also vehicle-based, what would convince an average buyer to choose Monkey Kid over Ninjago? They would look like the exact same thing in the eyes of that average buyer.

Edited by Lego David

20 minutes ago, Lego David said:

If they don't want this line to fail, they would be required to do so. After all, if this line is also big bang, also Asian-inspired, and also vehicle-based, what would convince an average buyer to choose Monkey Kid over Ninjago? They would look like the exact same thing in the eyes of that average buyer.

Counterpoint; based on the leaks we’ve seen, the summer wave of Ninjago - which will be available concurrently with the first wave of MK - will actually be stepping away from the standard vehicle fare. Out of the six main release sets, the leaks point to two location builds, two dragons, a mech and . . whatever Zane’s Rhino/Mino Beast ends up being. The only part of that that’s likely to have any overlap with a ‘standard’ Chima/Nexo Knights-esque Big Bang theme is the ‘Fire Rock Mech’. And then there’s the Legacy stuff, which is the Destiny’s Bounty, a remake of the Kai Fighter and a 4+ Jay’s Storm Fighter remake. I don’t think there’s a single wheel in that entire wave. 

Also, I assume you’re talking about the average Western buyer, but we need to remember that LEGO’s not making this theme for Western audiences, they’re doing it for the Chinese market. Who will be aware of and appreciate all the differences with Ninjago’s Japanese fare, and all the more so since it seems like Summer 2020 Ninjago actually isn’t Japanese at all. 

And apparently Hidden Side’s going to keep going concurrently with both of them.

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I don’t think there’s a single wheel in that entire wave. 

Maybe not in this wave, but assuming that Monkey Kid is planned for at least a three-year run time, there would still eventually be overlap between the two lines. 

3 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Also, I assume you’re talking about the average Western buyer, but we need to remember that LEGO’s not making this theme for Western audiences, they’re doing it for the Chinese market.

There is zero proof to that.

Just because a story is based on Asian mythology doesn't mean it's made for the Chinese market only.

There are many Monkey King references via video games and tv shows, Dragon Ball probably the most known cartoon/manga adaptation, and the Logo even has similarities with that.

That said, I still hope it's something different and not just another "Colored Team" theme, and the biggest sets hopefully are locations.

* Colored Team , meaning needing 1 vehicle set for each character each wave (+ Hover Horse / Battle Suit etc), I think that was what was overdone with Nexo Knights, the entire theme only had 2 location sets and 2 other really small tower builds.

I hope to see sets like this in a more fantasy-sense (minus the tech vehicles)

Chima :

70010-1.jpg?20130123044970014-1.jpg?20130411101370134-1.jpg?201312240439

Or Ninjago : 

70594-1.jpg?20160520111970604-1.jpg?20160105091370749-1.jpg?201409301030

Or Elves :

41180-1.jpg?20160520111941185-1.jpg?20170217043641074-1.jpg?201502011042

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, Lego David said:

This seems very unlikely, but it's possible that LEGO wants this theme to replace Ninjago. Just think about it... Back in 2013, they wanted to replace Ninjago with Chima. That didn't work out as planned, so maybe they are trying it again this year with Monkey Kid. I highly doubt LEGO would have two themes with very similar aesthetics at the same time on shelves unless they intend for one to replace the other. 

Again, it's unlikely, but still a possibility. 

It has been communicated many times that Ninjago is considered evergreen. Never change a winning team (or: theme :grin:); if it ain't broken, don't fix it. 

16 hours ago, Legoanonymous said:

Yet another anime- inspired theme will cover shelves.

Please refresh my memory: what other anime-inspired themes have been released, or would be on the shelves right now? I can only think of Exo-Force right now.. 

3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

It has been communicated many times that Ninjago is considered evergreen. Never change a winning team (or: theme :grin:); if it ain't broken, don't fix it. 

Please refresh my memory: what other anime-inspired themes have been released, or would be on the shelves right now? I can only think of Exo-Force right now.. 

A little theme called Ninjago. Besides that, many mechs and other sized vehicles have dominated many other people Lego themes.  

2 hours ago, Legoanonymous said:

Besides that, many mechs and other sized vehicles have dominated many other people Lego themes.  

Certainly not a shortage of "mechs" on the current LEGO product line.

Just for 2019/2020 alone I see 20+ Mech sets.

Marvel, Ninjago , Overwatch, DC and a Jurassic T-Rex mech, and that's not counting 2018 sets or 2019 Lego Movie 2.

https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Mech

3-in-1 Underwater Robot could also count as a mech but isn't tagged.

At least 2 more unreleased mechs with the Fire/Stone mech in Ninjago and Venom/Iron-man crawler sets.

As for Monkey Kid, I hope if they do big animal builds, it's more an animal look, and not a real mech-look, moveable arms/legs/wings doesn't automaticly have to have a mech look to it.

For example this left one looks like an actual beast (literally called Legend Beast), while the others look like a mech / jet / motorcycle, still based on the same Animal. 

And my prefered look would certainly be the left version for Monkey Kid,  animals used as mounts rather then vehicles.

70124-1.jpg?20131121051570142-1.jpg?20140422033970003-1.jpg?20121018045870007-1.jpg?201302101036

Elves' dragons and large animals didn't look like mechs either.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 hours ago, Lego David said:

The figures are the draw for me as a historic builder. If the minifigures are futuristic in any way, the theme is a bust for me. Ninjago has mixed in some useful generic minifig parts on occasion, but it was no castle/Lotr/Potc. Two minifigures shift the potential from 80-90% of the figures being useful to 10-20%, if I am lucky. They could do a wierd mix of futuristic and historic, but as soon as you add electronics, jeans, sneakers, modern details to the torsos and special parts, it becomes useless for historic building. 

Ninjago is animated. Anime is something completely different.

1 hour ago, Rogue Angel said:

Ninjago is animated. Anime is something completely different.

It's not the matter of animation.We compare Ninjago to anime because of the concept.Ninjas driving ridiculous vehicles and mechs vs skeletons,cyborgs,snake people etc...This the very definition of action/shounen anime.

41 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

It's not the matter of animation.We compare Ninjago to anime because of the concept.Ninjas driving ridiculous vehicles and mechs vs skeletons,cyborgs,snake people etc...This the very definition of action/shounen anime.

Anime is a Japanese style of animation that has nothing to do with the subject matter. Ninago is animated Lego. Just because there are ninjas, that doesn't make it anime in any way. 

Just read that Monkey, the ‘80s cult tv series adaptation of Journey to the West, was actually a Japanese TV production of the Chinese story.

So maybe we should leave Asian cultural definitions and arguments well alone and just wait to see what this Lego theme brings.

1 hour ago, Rogue Angel said:

Anime is a Japanese style of animation that has nothing to do with the subject matter. Ninago is animated Lego. Just because there are ninjas, that doesn't make it anime in any way. 

Exactly this.

3 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

But it does! Ninjas fighting monsters screams anime like nothing else.

But let's just agree to disagree and move on.

19 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I guess you could technically count Elves as "anime-inspired" since the TV Show it got had a pretty distinct anime-style animation. 

People are losing interest because we have seen two minifigures? That's ridiculous. Let's wait a couple more weeks until we see actual sets and prices.

10 hours ago, Maple said:

People are losing interest because we have seen two minifigures? That's ridiculous. Let's wait a couple more weeks until we see actual sets and prices.

I was about to say the same thing.  My feelings exactly.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:21 AM, LOTR34 said:

Ninjas fighting monsters screams anime like nothing else.

That would make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles an anime :laugh_hard:

On a side note. About the old time travel rumor, what if that's still what's going on? It would explain the sudden inclusion of more modern and futuristic figures. It would be a "journey through time to the west". Kinda farfetched maybe, but it could be interesting.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:53 PM, Lucarex said:

Just read that Monkey, the ‘80s cult tv series adaptation of Journey to the West, was actually a Japanese TV production of the Chinese story.

So maybe we should leave Asian cultural definitions and arguments well alone and just wait to see what this Lego theme brings.

Well said :thumbup: