35 minutes ago, Lego David said:

It's kinda hard for me to believe that LEGO would release two Asian-inspired themes at the same time. After all, that would be pretty much like releasing an in-house Space theme alongside Star Wars... there would be too much competition (especially when you are competing against the titan that is Ninjago).

This makes me doubt that Leaf is an Asian-inspired theme. But then again, I could be wrong. 

If it is an Asian-inspired theme, I can see it setting itself apart from Ninjago by doing no vehicles, and cementing it strictly in a fantasy setting (but then again, no vehicles means less play value for kids). 

Then again, the leaked bigfig doesn't exactly scream asian setting, so this could be something else entirely.

40 minutes ago, leafan said:

I'm disappointed too if this turns out to be the case, but I could live with a historically factual Chinese Lego theme if it were that. China has some rich history that has never been seen in Lego.

I think it's most likely gonna be a Fantasy Asian theme, based on the Chinese mythology rather then the historically factual China. After all, the leaked bigfig certainly isn't based on the historical factual China. 

17 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Then again, the leaked bigfig doesn't exactly scream asian setting, so this could be something else entirely.

Well, it's still got a lot of Asian things about it, as @TeriXeri has pointed out:

On 1/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, TeriXeri said:

The big Bead Necklace has some Shaolin/Buddhist Monk vibes to it. (also often seen in Games/Cartoons with asian/monk influences) 

Just Blizzard alone has 3 different franchises with monks using big bead necklaces , just look for Diablo 3 Monk, World of Warcraft Monk sets or Zenyatta from Overwatch.

Also a cloth sash/belt which might further pointing to Martial Arts.

Edited by Lego David

2 hours ago, icm said:

It's a Journey to the West, BTW :) Sanzang, Brother Monkey, Brother Pig, and Friar Sand go west from the court of China to retrieve scriptures from the Western Heaven, which is to say the real life Sanzang went west to India.

Whoops. My bad . . 

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

Ninjago, with it's heavy reliance on vehicles, is basically LEGO's version of Power Rangers. This (if it is based on Journey To The West) seems more like it will be a wandering adventure tale, which should translate into lots of location sets. Those would easily sell side by side. Kids could conceivably use them together.

I hope you’re right, location builds are great. Now I’m kind of excited . . I’ll reserve judgement until we get a proper reveal though. 

7 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Hello, new member here. I made this account to tell you guys some info about the theme. The blue bigfig that leaked is legit from the Leaf theme aka Monkie Kid. His name is Wujing. 

IMG_20200130_191029.jpg

Well, that’s some badass concept art but it doesn’t quite match the bigfig; no mohawk. 

Oh well, TLG is really going hard after those yuans

For those asking about Ninjago, well China and Japan kind of hate each other, so being Ninjago so japanese, I bet that doesn't sell well in China. 

If this Monkey Kid theme will give us some sets like the temple just released a month ago, then I'm all for it.

Just now, Harkonen said:

Monkie Kid is more like Hidden Side but also like Ninjago. It will have a tv series like Ninjago does, much shorter in number of episodes. An app too. The sets are more fantasy like Elves, we get lots of buildings and a ship. Minifigs are based on the Monkey King lore. Ninjago is setting apart itself from it this summer with a dungeons and dragons subtheme. 

Dude it seems you know a lot about Monkey Kid

Thanks for the info! 

When should we expect the full reveal of the theme?

4 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

New York Toy Fair but do not expect all the sets to be revealed there. A press release showing one set might happen from what I know, a day before Toy Fair starts. 

Last year when we first saw Hidden Side we only got four of the eight sets revealed initially. Can we expect something similar?

26 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Monkie Kid is more like Hidden Side but also like Ninjago. It will have a tv series like Ninjago does, much shorter in number of episodes. An app too. The sets are more fantasy like Elves, we get lots of buildings and a ship. Minifigs are based on the Monkey King lore. Ninjago is setting apart itself from it this summer with a dungeons and dragons subtheme. 

Where do you know all this info from, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Lego David

Just now, Harkonen said:

You can expect these characters in the sets:

-Sun Wukong (Monkie Kid aka Monkey King) 

-Tang Sanzang ("Tripitaka")

-Zhu Bajie ("Pigsy") 

-Sha Wujing(Sandy) - the leaked blue bigfig 

So the names are taken directly from Journey to the West? Wasn't this supposed to be an original theme?

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLETGXSO2ULPX4DRA

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLETGXSO2ULPX4DRA

** I should note that these images are not leaks - they are publically available on the internet.

Edited by leafan
clarity

Why do people think the existence of Ninjago a Japanese mecha fantasy theme means we wouldn't see a Chinese fantasy theme?  That is like saying we wouldn't see a Greek mythology theme because Lego already made Pharaoh's Quest an Egyptian mythology based theme.  :wacko:

Personally I think a Chinese fantasy based theme has the potential to be truly epic.  I would love getting the Chinese equivalent to "Fantasy Era" Castle.  Think of all the awesome historical armor and weapons that could possibly bring.

I was thinking about the Series 19 Monkey King.... 

Is the same character, right?

So how could this one be different? 

I was thinking about the style... maybe the Monkey Kid will have a cartoony style? Like the mighty micros figures? That face in the logo suggest something like that. I wouldnt be the first time TLG tries a more cartoony style in a in-house theme. They did it with ExoForce. 

Either that or we should expect the main character here being just a variation of the S19 one (alternate faces, armor printing, etc)

Edited by Robert8

I am a bit worried I’m not going to like this. But as someone said, if this theme brings anything close to the Chinese New Year temple then... me wants...:)

Could they be reusing the heads from the 2 flying monkeys from the lego movie set?  (Oz)

6 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

That is like saying we wouldn't see a Greek mythology theme because Lego already made Pharaoh's Quest an Egyptian mythology based theme.  :wacko:

No, that's not what we meant. We meant that we don't think LEGO would release two Asian-Inspired themes at the same time. I'm not saying LEGO could never do a Greek Mythology because they already did Pharaoh's Quest, what I'm saying is that I don't expect two see two themes like that running at the same time as each other, because there would be too much competition. 

17 hours ago, Harkonen said:

You can expect these characters in the sets:

-Sun Wukong (Monkie Kid aka Monkey King) 

-Tang Sanzang ("Tripitaka")

-Zhu Bajie ("Pigsy") 

-Sha Wujing(Sandy) - the leaked blue bigfig 

What do the other Minifigs (including villains, if present) look like, and what skin-colour do the Human characters use (standard yellow, flesh-tone, or something else)? 
From having briefly Googled these characters, it seems likely that Tang Sanzang will be a normal Minifig, and that Zhu Bajie will have a mould similar to a Gamorrean.