3 hours ago, Lego David said:

So... That means LEGO is now copying from LEGO-Clone brands? Or did the Clone brand know about this theme already and made the copycat sets in advance?

The story was written 400 years ago and well known across Asia.

Sun Wukong also been prominently featured in many video games and media (a well known spin-off being Dragon Ball)

Including Diablo 3, (from Blizzard which made Overwatch) and they even have an armor set called Sunwuko , Monkey King's Garb.

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Sunwuko

Also the orbs and cloth belt on the supposed Bigfig looked familiar in style to a fantasy depiction of a (Shaolin) Monk.

Left Diablo 3 Monk artwork.

Right: one of the World of Warcraft Monk class sets (and the Pandaren race based on Red/Giant Pandas)

180?cb=20090821202235671201.jpg

Another popular game , League of Legends introduced Wukong as a playable monkey character with a staff many years ago in 2011: 

https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Wukong

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

One thing I do hope for is that, unlike these sets, the sets don't only focus on monkey king (or kid, I guess). I want the other characters to get some of the spotlight too, since they are not as well known, atleast from what I understand.

Hoping for other characters as well for sure.

Example :

A set with the White Dragon Prince could be interesting, in the battle he swallows Tang's horse whole.

But later he recognized Tang Sanzang and then turns into the Horse for the rest of the Journey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Dragon_Horse

Also those antagonists sound pretty nice and could make location based sets with caves and such

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Journey_to_the_West_characters#Antagonists

A lot of those true form are animals.

Just some interesting names  (many more in the link)

• Single Horned Rhinoceros King
  • Scorpion Demoness
  • Tree spirits
  • The Hundred Eyed Demon Lord 
  • The Grand Saint of Nine Spirits (Nine Headed Lion)
  • Python Demon

And then the Bull, Elephant, Red Boy, Gold/Silver Horned Kings from that other brand are also mentioned.

I just hope they won't look to much like mechs and vehicles.

Sorry if I sound repetitive on my past week's posts , just very interested in this story/setting which is relatively new for me, yet not so new (via Games/Anime etc)

Edited by TeriXeri

This looks like Ninjago meets Nexo Knights 2.0. Nothing for me but still interested to see how the final product will look like.

The idea of this theme if it is what we know think it is sounds fun. Not much more to say than that.

HOWEVER. The theme name is the worst in the history of LEGO theme names. It's silly and every time I look at the logo I think of American black face. But that's just me being crazy. I'm worried this will be like The LEGO Movies where we get 58 of the same minifigure and that gets boring. I would have called t pretty much anything else.

Edited by Maple
Hi!

4 hours ago, Maple said:

The idea of this theme if it is what we know think it is sounds fun. Not much more to say than that.

HOWEVER. The theme name is the worst in the history of LEGO theme names. It's silly and every time I look at the logo I think of American black face. But that's just me being crazy.

No. For "Monkey Kid", no, it's not. I had the same darn thought when I saw the logo, and now that someone else has drawn the same innocuous connection, I'll say it flat-out; that better not be a finalized logo for the line.

1 hour ago, Azani said:

No. For "Monkey Kid", no, it's not. I had the same darn thought when I saw the logo, and now that someone else has drawn the same innocuous connection, I'll say it flat-out; that better not be a finalized logo for the line.

That logo is taken from the artwork in the recent IP filing by Lego so I’d say that’s final.

Well if those pictures are representative of the real sets, i'll be happy. A nice aesthetic to the buildings, interesting minifigures and cool Chima-esque mechs.

God those sets are terrrible :sick: This is exactly what I don't want Monkey Kid to be,another Ninjago clone.I know @Harkonen was full of bs but I hope that the bit about Monkey Kid being a location based theme is true.

3 hours ago, Azani said:

I don´t see ANY similarity to a blackface caricature except the colours black and red... It is just a funny little cartoon ape smiley with black fur. If that´s racist Calimero, the little duck would be, too ... https://www.pinterest.de/pin/76139049926765285/ *huh*

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

God those sets are terrrible :sick: This is exactly what I don't want Monkey Kid to be,another Ninjago clone.I know @Harkonen was full of bs but I hope that the bit about Monkey Kid being a location based theme is true.

Take a look on the bull´s horns and the purple sword... Would be great for a Balrog, if they appear in the right colours... :innocent:

http://en.qmjm.com/index.php?g=Home&m=Index&a=product_series_list&id=729&l=en

As long as it is free from Chima-Scifi-Steampunk-stuff it could be quite a nice theme delivering new castle-armor-prints, headgear, wepons and so on like Ninjago is from time to time.

I cannot WAIT for this series if this is indeed correct. If I can't have new Castle, I will definitely take a historic/mythological theme instead.

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

It is indeed a location-based theme (there is only one vehicle set in the whole wave). IMO, this is a lot better than Ninajgo. If the official LEGO sets are going to look like that, then I'll probably buy most of the sets. 

What's so terrible about them, anyway? Even if you dislike it for being a "Ninjago Clone" you still have to give it credit for all those great parts that are included.

Edited by Lego David

This theme sounds really intriguing! Looking through the knockoff brand's Monkey King theme I'd say the most exciting thing for me is the minifigures, if they're all more mythological/animal based and not human then this could be a really good chance to pick up some great unique minifigures that are useful for other settings. 

My DnD group uses minifigures as miniatures for our games, so more fantasy aesthetics along with new weapons and armours are always welcome!

17 minutes ago, Lego David said:

It is indeed a location-based theme (there is only one vehicle set in the whole wave). IMO, this is a lot better than Ninajgo. If the official LEGO sets are going to look like that, then I'll probably buy most of the sets. 

Love it!! We have enough vehicles in all the other themes. Give me a lush forest, snowy mountain or anything like that.

18 minutes ago, Lego David said:

It is indeed a location-based theme (there is only one vehicle set in the whole wave).

Are you talking about Monkey Kid?Because as far as I know we don't have any information regarding the sets.

54 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Are you talking about Monkey Kid?Because as far as I know we don't have any information regarding the sets.

We don't have any official information, but we still have the Knock-off sets. The official sets will most likely be very similar.

39 minutes ago, Lego David said:

We don't have any official information, but we still have the Knock-off sets. The official sets will most likely be very similar.

I just really hope it won't have wheeled motorbikes with drills on them like that or any other "vehicle" looking thing.

The Silver/Gold Horned Kings in that set are in Journey to the West but that motorcycle is just another variant of a Axl Rumblemaker / Cole Driller , with a bit of added Twinfector design that does not fit this theme.

There are a lot of beast-inspired sets they can do however, just hope they will look more beast and less mech, I'd still greatly prefer location-focus.

Ninjago is also apparently doing a Rhinoceros or Mino-Beast (Minotaur/Bull-King??) wonder how those will end up looking. 

Edit : Seems to be one and the same set, different sites call it either Nashorn or Mino-Beast or Rhino-Creature. 

Edited by TeriXeri

14 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I feel like that’s not the best assumption to make... who knows what direction LEGO could take with this theme.

Besides, the rumor of the location sets came from Harkonen, and it seems some of what he said was reliable and some of it was not. I don’t know anymore, I’ll just hope for the best.

13 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Ninjago is also apparently doing a Rhinoceros and a Mino-Beast (Minotaur/Bull-King??) wonder how those will end up looking.

I wonder if these fake sets could be half Leaf and half Ninjago?

8 minutes ago, Mattah12 said:

I wonder if these fake sets could be half Leaf and half Ninjago?

No idea, but just realized that Rhino-Creature or Mino-Beast is the same set, just different websites have different names.

Just putting this out here before expecting 2 sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Well I hope that's not the case.But Monkey Kid being a big bang action theme will most likely and unfortunately be vehicle focused.

9 hours ago, Azani said:

Oh thank god I thought I was going nuts. Monkey Boy is bad enough name for a LEGO theme, but then there is the monkey face which is super black and red and looks like those awful racist dolls.

And the theme of course will be a NinjaGo clone, NinjaGo is the biggest action theme LEGO has ever made. We have never had an action theme that didn't include 90% vehicles. Even City is 95% vehicles as clearly cities don't have any vehicles. Those 'knock off' (Can it be a knockoff if they came out first?) are exactly what I'm picturing for the theme.