I created this thread for discussion and speculation regarding the Summer 2020 AR-based theme "Leaf", so that such discussion does not overrun other threads (See Hidden Side 2020). 

On 12/15/2019 at 6:09 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

So, apparently @Falconfan1414 had this to share over on Instagram...

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

A thread doing just that exists already no? I follow one in the special theme section. 

Edited by Megbricks

40 minutes ago, Megbricks said:

A thread doing just that exists already no? I follow one in the special theme section. 

I missed that. Perhaps the two should be merged? ?

I am not sure? The thread in special themes is for three different codenamed themes. If this is an AR theme, chances are it will fit into the Action and Adventure template. Of course, we can change the name or location if this theme no longer matches the A&A section.

Given recent recent revelations and subsequent discussion regarding this "Leaf" theme over on the Future Pirates Speculation topic, the hunch I have that I've come away with is that the theme's premise will revolve around Time Travel... :shrug_oh_well:

On 1/5/2020 at 6:50 AM, Peppermint_M said:

I am not sure? The thread in special themes is for three different codenamed themes. If this is an AR theme, chances are it will fit into the Action and Adventure template. Of course, we can change the name or location if this theme no longer matches the A&A section.

Sounds good, as that's how it went with discussion around that mystery "AL" theme that turned out to be the Dots jewelry theme. :classic:

I've recently been fascinated by some of those Legend of Chima builds, I didn't really look at the theme much during 2016-2019 , but now I really do appreciate many of those sets, especially the structures/locations and the Tribe Packs.

And I've been thinking how that could translate to a more Pirate/Castle or Time-Travel type theme.

While they did have a lot of mobile bases and vehicles, it still was somewhat different compared to the approach of Nexo Knights.

Later the theme did progress into a Fire vs Ice team, but still had certain animals for each group.

Even if they had repeating characters throughout, it didn't really follow the "power ranger" style of colored sets for each of the 5-6 heroes, but rather based it's sets around the Tribes, and that's been something interesting.

Instead of animal tribe builds, imagine there being different eras of tribes.

Examples of Tribes/Factions from different eras could be :

1. Pirates Pirate/Soldiers/Islanders
  2.  Western: Indians/Cowboys/Bandits
  3. Adventurers : Desert / Jungle / Orient good and bad guys
  4. Castle : Good Knights / Dark Knights / Fantasy Figures or large Monster(like Trolls/Dragons)

Sets could be a mix of "vehicles" and location sets

1. Pirates : Pirate Ship, Soldier Fort, Islanders Island
  2. Indian Village, Cowboy Fort/Village / Bank Robbery or Gold Mine (with carts and horses as side builds or seperate sets)
  3. Adventurer : Include some locations from either Desert, Jungle, or Orient themes, with smaller vehicles.
  4. Castle : Castle/Tower/Bridge type set, competing (Fantasy) faction set, and some Siege or Large monster set.

Of course this just maybe too good to be true but it's interesting to think like Tribes/Eras instead of just a hero/villain team.

Also if any conflict/action is involved, don't overthink things like how Western Revolvers would be too strong  vs Castle Crossbows etc, or Catapults vs Pirate Cannons. Chima mostly just had fantasy weapons up to imagination. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Really a good rule of thumb for this forum is: will it be too techy for history based sections, too weird for City/town and not IN SPACE enough for SciFi.

With all the discussion about LEAF being an augmented reality theme, with the story likely to be largely played out on people's devices, LEGO Media and Gaming might be the board it ultimately gets housed on. This all seems like a cross between Time Cruisers and the LEGO Dimensions game, without the need for a console system.

I'll believe it when I see it. I can't see LEGO releasing another AR theme so quickly because what it Hidden Side failed? Then just have another AR theme less than a year later?

Plus we haven't had more than two original 'action' themes at once in years. I'm hoping for an underwater theme myself. Time travel be fun because we get Castle, Pirates, Greeks, even future space ships that aren't overpriced Star Wars garbage.

15 hours ago, Maple said:

I'm hoping for an underwater theme myself. Time travel be fun because we get Castle, Pirates, Greeks, even future space ships that aren't overpriced Star Wars garbage.

If by any chance this theme doesn't turn out to be Pirates, Castle, or Time Travel related, then I do hope it'll be exploration-based in its premise like Adventurers, Atlantis, Pharaoh's Quest, Power Miners, or Dino were, rather than just being another good vs. evil saga in the vein of Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights. Having said that though, I'd still greatly prefer this theme to be a Time Traveling one, because Lego really hasn't yet given that premise a fair-enough shot.

Do we even know if it's minifigures or minidolls? I could see LEGO doing an AR minidoll theme to replace Elves.

Edited by Maple

1 minute ago, Maple said:

Do we even know if it's minifigures or minidolls? I could see LEGO doing an AR minidoll theme to replace Elves.

It could be a minidoll-based line, because if it counts, the Friends theme did debut with 36 sets during its premier year, half of what this "Leaf" theme will be kicking-off with.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It could be a minidoll-based line, because if it counts, the Friends theme did debut with 36 sets during its premier year, half of what this "Leaf" theme will be kicking-off with.

What? This theme is suppose to have 72 sets?

1 minute ago, Maple said:

No, it's going to have 18, half of the 36 Friends had in it's first year.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

If that's the case it'd be a huge minidoll theme, far bigger then Elves at least ,which had 6 sets at launch (March 2015) :

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Elves/releasedin-EU-2015-03

I'm not saying the new theme can't have minidolls however.

I like to use the new Brickset filter by release year/month as it filters out a lot of smaller promo/polybags/magazine gifts in a given year which usually have different set numbers anyway.

https://brickset.com/browse/sets/byyear/

If I filter out Friends for 2012 :

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Friends/releasedin-EU-2011-12 - 14 sets at launch / January 2012

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Friends/releasedin-EU-2012-07 - 8 sets in July 2012

https://brickset.com/sets/3316-1 - Friends Advent Calendar in September 2012

So that makes it 23 regular  sets in 2012, rather then the inflated 36.

If anything, 18 would be on-par with previous  "big-bang" themes, as those had 16-17 sets at launch with the Promo's/Polybags filtered out: 

2016 Nexo Knights launched with 17 sets,  6 of which were Ultimate.  

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Nexo-Knights/releasedin-EU-2016-01

2013 Chima launched with 16 sets, 7 of which were Speedorz.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Legends-of-Chima/releasedin-EU-2012-12

2011 Ninjago launched with 17 sets, 7 of which were Spinners.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Ninjago/releasedin-EU-2010-12

Didn't mean to nitpick on numbers here by the way, just trying to clear up the difference between total sets in a given year.

71360 - 71377 still is a very large range of regular set numbers regardless.

On a similar note, the full year 2016 Nexo Knights had 28 regular sets out of 50 total,  the other 22 being : 

• 2 Battlepacks
  • 2 TRU sets
  • 3 other promo sets
  • 4 Polybags
  • 11 Magazine Gifts
Edited by TeriXeri

I find all this interesting as Hidden Side only had 5-6 sets it's first year, but like you said, big bang themes with TV shows have several more.

Plus there is an ad floating around for the supposedly canceled 'DOTS' line that doesn't show anything besides happy girls. It's a very weird ad, did they hire Epstein to make it?

4 hours ago, Maple said:

Oops, as @Lego David had set straight, I meant 18. I can't believe I messed that up... :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Maple said:

Plus there is an ad floating around for the supposedly canceled 'DOTS' line that doesn't show anything besides happy girls.

It's been presumably delayed twice, but not necessarily cancelled, as its presence in the catalog should indicate that line's finally arriving this year.

It can be more then 18 total sets if you count polybags, promos, gift with purchase or magazines but it just depends how you do the filtering as my post above shows it matters.

71360 - 71377 = 18 normal sets so far.

Regular Polybags are usually 30xxx numbered so not part of those 18.

Edited by TeriXeri

Was the original speculation for Leaf that it was going to be a Bionicle reboot or otherwise another constraction theme?

44 minutes ago, Stardown said:

Was the original speculation for Leaf that it was going to be a Bionicle reboot or otherwise another constraction theme?

I think it’s been mentioned a while ago  because of the numbers used or something. 

6 hours ago, Stardown said:

The original speculation was that it's going to be a new constraction theme, but now, the speculation seems to be that it's going to be a new Castle or Pirates theme.

Edited by Lego David

6 hours ago, Lego David said:

The original speculation was that it's going to be a new constraction theme, but now, the speculation seems to be that it's going to be a new Castle or Pirates theme.

Though pictures and fan press haven't been invited there for awhile now, London's Toy Fair will be taking place next Tuesday on the 21st, so maybe we'll at least hear of some kinda hint or clue as to what this theme is. If nothing at all, then I'm pretty certain Nuremberg's Toy Fair the following week will provide us with our first look.

16 hours ago, Stardown said:

Original speculation on Bionicle purely came from the set numbers being closest to the last Bionicle (and the retired Dimensions) sets, nothing more.