Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

All those factors combined kinda scream failure honestly. Competition with Ninjago, limited availability, insanely high prices and no discounts are all gonna hold back this theme from being successful.

And it's a shame really since this theme has potential but it's getting squandered by all those weird decisions on Legos part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LOTR34 said:

And it's a shame really since this theme has potential but it's getting squandered by all those weird decisions on Legos part.

Yeah, LEGO has done some really bizarre decisions with this theme... If the line fails, those decisions would be to blame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that the Monkie Kid sets have QC issues, mainly the minifigs plastic. Is that true? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 7:48 AM, GK733 said:

Call it what it is, pandering. Capitulation isn't that far behind, depending how succesful it is the least you can except to see are skeletons a lot less in sets. It makes perfect sense as a corporation to do it since China is such a huge market opportunity. I for one hope Lego and other companies keep struggling to conquer it. Say, how about a few coughs come between the two.

Amen. I was disgusted to see these sets front-page on Lego's NA website. Given all that has happened - and is still happening - in the last 6 months, it seems more than just slightly tone deaf.

22 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

I heard that the Monkie Kid sets have QC issues, mainly the minifigs plastic. Is that true? 

If that's true, could it possibly indicate that Lego's efforts to "reinvent plastic" aren't going so well? Here's hoping!

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harkonen said:

I heard that the Monkie Kid sets have QC issues, mainly the minifigs plastic. Is that true? 

I’ve gotten all the sets and haven’t noticed any issues myself, but that doesn’t mean other people aren’t. Usually a reviewer like Jang would have mentioned it if it was a widespread issue though, which he didn’t in any of his reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, gedren_y said:

I agree with everything except the underlined. Jackie Chan and Jet Li did an awesome movie, and Thomas Gibson did a wonderful Hallmark miniseries.

The Jackie Chan Jet Li movie is cool, but didn't hit real big, and is barely a Journey to the west adaption. More an influence. The Thomas Gibson miniseries was pretty neat for actually exploring the original story and myths. But I suspect you and I might be two of the few that remember it, or even watched it. Didn't it air on SyFy and Hallmark channels? The two Stephen Chow Chinese language movies (2014 and 2017) did get some attention on Netflix. But I'm not sure the sets western target audience would watched them much. It always amazes me just how little exposure the western world has to Journey to the west and the Monkey King? 

I still can't figure out the price points of these sets. The Piggsy's Truck one is actually pretty good. But the Dragon Horse Bike feels like a $20 Ninjago Bike set And the Monkey Kid Jet set feels like a leftover $30 Chima set. Do we know is this intentionally a Lego Store exclusive, or is it just that because of all the lockdowns and disruptions? 

5 hours ago, Harkonen said:

I heard that the Monkie Kid sets have QC issues, mainly the minifigs plastic. Is that true? 

Feels like the same stuff they use for the CMF's to me. I don't see anything that points to a potential issue yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Faefrost said:

The Jackie Chan Jet Li movie is cool, but didn't hit real big, and is barely a Journey to the west adaption. More an influence. The Thomas Gibson miniseries was pretty neat for actually exploring the original story and myths. But I suspect you and I might be two of the few that remember it, or even watched it. Didn't it air on SyFy and Hallmark channels? The two Stephen Chow Chinese language movies (2014 and 2017) did get some attention on Netflix. But I'm not sure the sets western target audience would watched them much. It always amazes me just how little exposure the western world has to Journey to the west and the Monkey King? 

I still can't figure out the price points of these sets. The Piggsy's Truck one is actually pretty good. But the Dragon Horse Bike feels like a $20 Ninjago Bike set And the Monkey Kid Jet set feels like a leftover $30 Chima set. Do we know is this intentionally a Lego Store exclusive, or is it just that because of all the lockdowns and disruptions? 

Feels like the same stuff they use for the CMF's to me. I don't see anything that points to a potential issue yet. 

Hhmm. I’m in my forties, and here in the UK, the Monkey (Magic) tv show was huge when I was a kid. As soon as I saw this line I got really excited, took me right back to that show. Everyone I speak to who is my age (or thereabouts) in the UK seems to very fondly remember that show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Faefrost said:

The Jackie Chan Jet Li movie is cool, but didn't hit real big, and is barely a Journey to the west adaption. More an influence. The Thomas Gibson miniseries was pretty neat for actually exploring the original story and myths. But I suspect you and I might be two of the few that remember it, or even watched it. Didn't it air on SyFy and Hallmark channels? The two Stephen Chow Chinese language movies (2014 and 2017) did get some attention on Netflix. But I'm not sure the sets western target audience would watched them much. It always amazes me just how little exposure the western world has to Journey to the west and the Monkey King? 

The Lost Empire is currently available on Amazon Prime and the Pluto TV app. The Forbidden Kingdom is currently available on both the Pluto TV and Tubi TV apps. Speaking of Netflix, they have a series, The New Legends of Monkey.

20 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I still can't figure out the price points of these sets. The Piggsy's Truck one is actually pretty good. But the Dragon Horse Bike feels like a $20 Ninjago Bike set And the Monkey Kid Jet set feels like a leftover $30 Chima set. Do we know is this intentionally a Lego Store exclusive, or is it just that because of all the lockdowns and disruptions? 

Monkie Kid himself has printing on par with CMFS, and other than the bull minions, the rest of the main characters have above average printing detail. Pigsy's Food Truck has a complicated build, with food service and command center modes. White Dragon Horse Bike does seem a bit overpriced, but not by much. Monkie Kid's Cloud Jet looks more like a recolored Nexo Knights set. The best price per piece seems to be Demon Bull King.

Edited by gedren_y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno if it's of interest to anyone here, but I've spent the past few days translating the stickers from the various Monkie Kid stickers. Here's what I've come up with so far. There's still a few I'm unsure about what they say or mean, in part because I'm stuck working from Bricklink's less than ideal scans and the official pics of the sets in most cases (not having any of them myself yet), and in part because I don't actually know the language and so have to make use of Google Translate for all of it. But most of it I've been able to translate! Any feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by Lyichir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, scottypavarotti said:

Hhmm. I’m in my forties, and here in the UK, the Monkey (Magic) tv show was huge when I was a kid. As soon as I saw this line I got really excited, took me right back to that show. Everyone I speak to who is my age (or thereabouts) in the UK seems to very fondly remember that show.

Same with me, but these sets do next to nothing for me. If they had been a bit more traditional I would have bought them but they are too futuristic / modern styled for my tastes.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, Harkonen said:

I heard that the Monkie Kid sets have QC issues, mainly the minifigs plastic. Is that true? 

I doubt it, it is probably just anti-Chinese rhetoric. I see no reason why the minifigure quality would be any different to the CMFs for the past ten years, or the bagged minifigure parts that have come out over the same period.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:45 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Amen. I was disgusted to see these sets front-page on Lego's NA website. Given all that has happened - and is still happening - in the last 6 months, it seems more than just slightly tone deaf.

What has the LEGO theme Monkie Kid got to do with anything that is happening right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I dunno if it's of interest to anyone here, but I've spent the past few days translating the stickers from the various Monkie Kid stickers. Here's what I've come up with so far. There's still a few I'm unsure about what they say or mean, in part because I'm stuck working from Bricklink's less than ideal scans and the official pics of the sets in most cases (not having any of them myself yet), and in part because I don't actually know the language and so have to make use of Google Translate for all of it. But most of it I've been able to translate! Any feedback would be appreciated!

Nice work!

One of those on the HQ says ‘Dragon Horse Shipping’? Is that why they have the boat and Mei’s a Power Ranger? Her family owns a shipping company and spoil their daughter and her friends with expensive and destructive toys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Nice work!

One of those on the HQ says ‘Dragon Horse Shipping’? Is that why they have the boat and Mei’s a Power Ranger? Her family owns a shipping company and spoil their daughter and her friends with expensive and destructive toys?

That one is relatively easy, as it also says it in English! "D.H Shipping Co."

 

The interesting one is "20% off ordering" as that is what it may take for these to sell! :-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAB said:

That one is relatively easy, as it also says it in English! "D.H Shipping Co."

The interesting one is "20% off ordering" as that is what it may take for these to sell! :-)

I totally agree. Personally I just can’t afford to buy LEGO at full price anymore. With themes like this I’d normally buy one or two big sets when my local shops have a 20% off discount, and fill out my character collection (I love having named characters in my city and under other circumstances the heroes of this theme, all of whom could be ordinary civilians, would be right up my alley) with the smaller sets. But this theme isn’t likely to see discounts, being Shop@Home exclusive, and the smallest set is $50 AUD. 

So if nothing else I’m going to wait for a good GWP promotion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAB said:

That one is relatively easy, as it also says it in English! "D.H Shipping Co."

 

The interesting one is "20% off ordering" as that is what it may take for these to sell! :-)

 

 

To be honest, I see these sorts of comments about this theme all the time... is this really a problem for Monkie Kid? I know the sets are more expensive than your average theme (especially a theme in its first year), but given the number of them that have been backordered, it doesn't seem like those prices are keeping them from moving the units they have available (at least in the U.S., not sure if the situation is the same in other countries). I'd love discounts as much as anyone but given the combination of high demand and Lego's rampant supply issues this year, I feel like it might be a while before we see any...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MAB said:

The interesting one is "20% off ordering" as that is what it may take for these to sell! :-)

I keep hearing this tossed around. The two largest sets of the line went on backorder rather quick, so I'm rather curious if this will be a consistent thing, once LEGO gets everything back up and running again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, just looked at the chinese shop@home and translating it into dutch calls this theme "Goku Held" , and the monkie kid character is literally named Goku.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

To be honest, I see these sorts of comments about this theme all the time... is this really a problem for Monkie Kid? I know the sets are more expensive than your average theme (especially a theme in its first year), but given the number of them that have been backordered, it doesn't seem like those prices are keeping them from moving the units they have available (at least in the U.S., not sure if the situation is the same in other countries). I'd love discounts as much as anyone but given the combination of high demand and Lego's rampant supply issues this year, I feel like it might be a while before we see any...

The Mexico factory was closed for a while, on the European site, none of it is on backorder, so I think it's a lack of supply rather then selling too fast.

Europe also had issues with many larger sets hitting backorders as well during the lockdown/peak period, Pirates of Barracuda Bay was on Backorder for like the entire month of May until mid-June here.

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, TeriXeri said:

Funny, just looked at the chinese shop@home and translating it into dutch calls this theme "Goku Held" , and the monkie kid character is literally named Goku.

Likely to be referential

Interestingly, the Monkey King in the English version of Monkie Kid is voiced by Goku's dub voice actor, to just add to the fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 5:30 PM, Lyichir said:

To be honest, I see these sorts of comments about this theme all the time... is this really a problem for Monkie Kid? 

It was a joke (hence the use of the smiley), given all the complaints about this theme being expensive and the discount text actually appearing in the set.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 2:40 PM, TeriXeri said:

...The Mexico factory was closed for a while, on the European site, none of it is on backorder, so I think it's a lack of supply rather then selling too fast.

Europe also had issues with many larger sets hitting backorders as well during the lockdown/peak period, Pirates of Barracuda Bay was on Backorder for like the entire month of May until mid-June here.

 

Yeah, the Mexico factory has been the main issue with North American supply.  The Pirates of Barracuda Bay and Haunted House have never been available since initial offering.  Day of release they went back-order/out-of-stock and hasn't changed since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is a second wave when do you guys think it'll come out?Winter next year or spring like it was this year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Monkie Kid Team's Secret HQ -- fun build overall, though I do wish the rear clips were much stronger. Wierdly one of the things I was most happy about was weapon storage for every accessory; clips abound! Maybe this has been true for a while but as one of the first since I've put together since Chima it was a pleasant surprise; I loved everything having a place. Maybe the Marie Kondo stuff is really getting to me...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really happy about this theme, my spouse is Chinese and our kids are growing up with the story to the west, so this will be a nice theme for them. So far I did not check out the Tv show, but I did buy some sets that are in my stack for when the kids get older :pir_tong2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 6:17 PM, Faefrost said:

I also picked up a few sets. My views are mixed. The builds seem decent. The minifigs get split right down the middle. The main cast such as Monkey Kid and his friends are some of Lego’s all time best minifigs. But every set undercuts that by piling in an equal number of identical Bull Minions. They compound this by giving each a specific name, even though there is no way to tell them apart. It just rubs salt in the wound. 

The line itself has some problems. The biggest being there is no reasonable entry point. The cheapest set is $35 US. There re no impulse sets. No small sets to hook the kids. For an 8 set theme, where you want the kids to collect the named characters, there are three sets well over $100 USD. Heck all three are above $120. With two at or over $150. Lego is normally much better at hitting a well balanced and scaled series of price points than this. 

With all that said the Monkey Kid minifig is currently competing with The a Hidden Side’s Wave 2 Jack with new hair and hood pieces as my favorites so far this year. 

 

You can’t hold that against this theme though, that’s a pretty normal template. Bad guys have henchmen that are identical. Ninjago(Movie as well) did this, LEGO Movie did this, Marvel has done it & is doing it. A lot of other action themes too. 

The pricing on some is definitely weird. It’d be nice the hear a reason. 

I complete agree with your final sentiment...MK is a fantastic minifig & right up there with Wave 2 Jack. I actually have them on my build table together. 

On 6/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, TeriXeri said:

Funny, just looked at the chinese shop@home and translating it into dutch calls this theme "Goku Held" , and the monkie kid character is literally named Goku.

That’s awesome. Once I get the Warrior King Mech, I guess I’ll have to have him claim the Cloud as his own...:tongue:

On 6/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, Umbrage82 said:

Just finished Monkie Kid Team's Secret HQ -- fun build overall, though I do wish the rear clips were much stronger. Wierdly one of the things I was most happy about was weapon storage for every accessory; clips abound! Maybe this has been true for a while but as one of the first since I've put together since Chima it was a pleasant surprise; I loved everything having a place. Maybe the Marie Kondo stuff is really getting to me...

 

Reading about all those clips for accessories makes me sad...so far the only set I have is the Cloud Jet(great set), and there’s no place for his staff to go when he’s piloting the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So four new set names and numbers have emerged on #legoleaks:

40381 Monkie King Brickheadz

80014 Sandy’s Speedboat

80015 Monkie Kid’s Cloud Roadster

80016 The Flaming Foundry

Out of these, honestly the Flaming Foundry sounds awesome. The other three are meh, especially if they have similar pricing to the current line. (I thought Brickheadz was finally dead come on . .) Of course, it’s totally possible that these are fake. Discuss?

Also, hey this is my two thousand and twentieth post! Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.