Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Legoanonymous said:

Back to Monkey Kid, more and more non licenced themes are getting a greater technological presence. I remember an old Leaf rumor saying that it was building off of Hidden Side's AR capabilities. By looking at the Mario commercial, and the fact Mario is a video game, Lego probably didn't give Super Mario an AR feature. Keep in mind that while this is a rumor, Monkey Kid would have to have an app or online presence in order to do well with kids. Depending on if this Mario "set " is a one - off like the Stranger Things house, Monkey Kid could be a "big bang" theme. I just don't see Mario or even contemporary Hidden Side filling this role for good. That, or Monkey Kid is the first publicly known canceled theme since Cybots.

Mario doesn't have "AR" per say, but there is clearly a technological component of the theme that appears to go beyond what Hidden Side has, namely with the usage of some sort of barcode bricks that are able to act as score markets for the Mario figure.  Given how fluid a lot of these rumors are, and since people are talking about things that there are no picture or even names for, I could very easily see it getting leaked that there was a new theme coming with technology integration building off of what Hidden Side did, which people would assume means AR, thus making that the leak, even though it's only partially accurate.  I also don't think that they would've worked for four years on this license and theme if they expected it to last a wave or two then fizzle out.  The only other times they do that with a license are when it's a brief wave before a movie with maybe another couple of sets after the movie, such as Prince of Persi or Cars.  Mario has to be our "big bang" theme for the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 7:03 AM, HalfBloodPrince said:

Can Someone remove (leaf) from the title?

Done!

Ironic looking back at the very first post, when the only piece of info was that "leaf" was going to be some sort of AR theme.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Monkey Kid someday - it sounds like a lot more fun to my tastes than all the licensed themes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another fig image has surfaced on IG. The same helmet as before (with magenta horns), but with an obviously female torso print and female looking eyes on a white head. The torso appears to be olive green, with white arms, and possibly dark bley hands. This seems to be someone taking a quick pic with their cell while handling the fig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Another fig image has surfaced on IG. The same helmet as before (with magenta horns), but with an obviously female torso print and female looking eyes on a white head. The torso appears to be olive green, with white arms, and possibly dark bley hands. This seems to be someone taking a quick pic with their cell while handling the fig.

The torso is incorrect and from the Black Widow set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, legozebra said:

The torso is incorrect and from the Black Widow set

So that means the Helmet (which we have already seen) is the only thing that's actually from Monkey Kid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The person who took the picture (forgot which user it was) was just goofing around and posted several videos in his story, showing him putting several different DC Super Hero Girls hairpieces on the Yelena minifig, and then proceeded to put the Monkey Kid helmet on the fig :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, Lego David said:

So that means the Helmet (which we have already seen) is the only thing that's actually from Monkey Kid?

Yeah, nothing new has been shown. Very curious as to what will actually make up this theme given we now know nothing about sets, prices, quantity, or anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 3:14 PM, legozebra said:

Yeah, nothing new has been shown. Very curious as to what will actually make up this theme given we now know nothing about sets, prices, quantity, or anything...

Keep in mind the Corona Virus has slowed down production. Even Amazon is taking slowly, so I suspect they are keeping everything they have made especially secret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the theme will release this year but it's kept hard underwraps like Hidden Side was last year. I mean, if I remember right nobody knew Hidden Side was coming, the first reveal was a teaser at Toy Fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mini_legogo has shared the new set numbers + temporary set names:

30341: Monkey Kid's delivery motorcycle

80006: White Horse Thunder Raider

80007: Bull Demon King's Thunder Raider

80008: Monkey Kid's Stormfighter

80009: Pig Chef's moving training car

80010: Bull demon king mech

80011: Fire Ball's Tank

80012: Monkey King golden mech

80013: Sea Base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

Mini_legogo has shared the new set numbers + temporary set names:

30341: Monkey Kid's delivery motorcycle

80006: White Horse Thunder Raider

80007: Bull Demon King's Thunder Raider

80008: Monkey Kid's Stormfighter

80009: Pig Chef's moving training car

80010: Bull demon king mech

80011: Fire Ball's Tank

80012: Monkey King golden mech

80013: Sea Base

A lot of vehicles that's for sure... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a lot like a Ninjago line to me.  Not what I was hoping for out of this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is starting to sound like chinese Nexo Knights/Ninjago

 

 

And I was expecting a theme with beautiful temples and locations lol

Edited by Robert8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the ninjago summer sets atleast aren't focused on vehicles so that's good. The sea base sounds nice. I hope this theme is set into a fantasy post apocalyptic future. I also wonder if all the characters will be animals or there will be humans too... 

 

I do wonder, will the theme release worldwide? Or just in China? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Those set names sound fake to me.  They're not just similar to Ninjago names, they ARE Ninjago names.  Storm fighter, thunder raider, golden mech in Monkey Kid, when a Storm fighter, thunder raider, and golden mech have already been released in Ninjago just this year? No way.

Edit, this year's Ninjago Storm fighter is said to be a juniors set and it hasn't yet been released, of course.  There's got to be some confusion in here somewhere.

Edited by icm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going of the set names it sounds like the monkey kid is a delivery boy (set 30341) for Zhu Bajie, who's now a chef and probably comes in set 80009. I assume the white dragon horse comes in set 80006, although the thunder raider part is worrying, did they turn him into a vehicle? I assume it also comes with Tang Sanzang as he is usually associated with the horse. Sha Wujing aka Sandy probably comes in the Sea Base, as he is usually associated with water. Fire Ball might hint towards the red boy, who I believe is the son of the bull demon king. And it looks like the bull demon king might be the main villain from this theme/wave. Although my interest has greatly lowered as it's pretty clear that this is once again a theme full of vehicles. Because we clearly didn't have enough of those...

8 minutes ago, icm said:

Those set names sound fake to me.  They're not just similar to Ninjago names, they ARE Ninjago names.  Storm fighter, thunder raider, golden mech in Monkey Kid, when a Storm fighter, thunder raider, and golden mech have already been released in Ninjago just this year? No way.

Edit, this year's Ninjago Storm fighter is said to be a juniors set and it hasn't yet been released, of course.  There's got to be some confusion in here somewhere.

Well keep in mind they are temporary names, not the final ones. They probably just choose these names because they based the design on those vehicles or they just look similar. It just tells us we get thunder raider like vehicles in 2 sets. It's not gonna be the thunder raider. The same goes for stormfighter, probably just a temporary name for a jet or a plane. Golden mech could just be another mech, we get tons of those every single year, might just be gold in colour, not literally the golden mech from ninjago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Mini_legogo has shared the new set numbers + temporary set names:

Is this guy who shared those set names reliable? Those set names sound a bit too much like Ninjago to me, and they could have very easily just been made up. 

Storm Fighter? Thunder Raider? Those are names taken directly from Ninjago.:sceptic:

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Is this guy who shared those set names reliable? Those set names sound a bit too much like Ninjago to me, and they could have very easily just been made up. 

Storm Fighter? Thunder Raider? Those are names taken directly from Ninjago.:sceptic:

It was shared directly afterwards by falconfan as well, who is probably the most reliable leaker we have. Besides they are temporary names, probably just the working name the designers used while designing the sets. So not the official final names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

It was shared directly afterwards by falconfan as well, who is probably the most reliable leaker we have. Besides they are temporary names, probably just the working name the designers used while designing the sets. So not the official final names.

Yes not official names, but it should give everyone a idea of what sort of sets coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So mechs and vehicles with oriental influence... How is this not a reskin of Ninjago? I too am hoping for more location-based sets, since the Chinese New Year sets are all very well designed. I'm also hoping for something with a fantasy theme but set in villages without lots of technology, like Avatar the Last Airbender and Naruto are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that list has killed almost all of my interest in this theme. Even though we knew it would be futuristic from that fig leak, I was still hoping it would have at least a few environment builds and be a bit more grounded in Journey to the West. But, looks like its just another Ninjago-esque theme with mechs and aircrafts. The Sea Base sounds potentially interesting at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two "Thunder Raider" sets probably use the same basic play function, just skinned as hero and villain. That delivery motorcycle set is likely a Juniors set. A theme that seems designed for the younger side of the 7-12 market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.