So, since hidden side sadly looks like it might be ending, will Monkie Kid replace it? Also, will Monkie Kid sell well? I mean, I think the sets are amazing so I would see no problem with sales. 

3 hours ago, Harkonen said:

So, since hidden side sadly looks like it might be ending, will Monkie Kid replace it? Also, will Monkie Kid sell well? I mean, I think the sets are amazing so I would see no problem with sales. 

There's really no reason to assume Hidden Side is ending at this point. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but there's really no concrete evidence one way or the other (and likely won't be until either the story reaches a conclusion or we go more than a half year without new sets, since Lego rarely makes a big to-do about themes reaching the end of their lifespan).

And there's certainly no way of knowing how Monkie Kid will sell before the sets are even out. AFOLs are often notoriously bad at prognosticating the sales for a theme, especially one that's new or different, and to be honest even Lego has no way of being 100% certain a theme will be popular until they have the actual sales data in hand. Add to that the massive, unprecedented uncertainty added by launching during a global pandemic, and to be honest anything could happen.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There's really no reason to assume Hidden Side is ending at this point. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but there's really no concrete evidence one way or the other (and likely won't be until either the story reaches a conclusion or we go more than a half year without new sets, since Lego rarely makes a big to-do about themes reaching the end of their lifespan).

And there's certainly no way of knowing how Monkie Kid will sell before the sets are even out. AFOLs are often notoriously bad at prognosticating the sales for a theme, especially one that's new or different, and to be honest even Lego has no way of being 100% certain a theme will be popular until they have the actual sales data in hand. Add to that the massive, unprecedented uncertainty added by launching during a global pandemic, and to be honest anything could happen.

Well, I agree with the points you brought in. Maybe it's just the negativity the new sets got. 

The two mechs are awesome !

I hope LEGO will not make them asian market exclusives.

I dont think these will be China exclusive. Not after seeing the pics.

Its been pointed out by some of us that this looks very similar to Ninjago (as the whole theme) ... and Ninjago works in USA and Europe. So, one would think MK will sell there as well

It would be odd if TLG dont try it at least for the first wave

After the reveal of the whole Ninjago 2020 wave, you can see they went in a complete different direction this year. Its easy to assume the reason is that Ninjago and MK will be sharing shelves 

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I dont think these will be China exclusive. Not after seeing the pics.

Its been pointed out by some of us that this looks very similar to Ninjago (as the whole theme) ... and Ninjago works in USA and Europe. So, one would think MK will sell there as well

It would be odd if TLG dont try it at least for the first wave

After the reveal of the whole Ninjago 2020 wave, you can see they went in a complete different direction this year. Its easy to assume the reason is that Ninjago and MK will be sharing shelves 

Yeah, I think this is the case. Now I wonder how the theme will sell in reality, I believe it will be a success because of obvious reasons but who knows. 

Advanced issues found

On 4/24/2020 at 2:31 AM, Fenghuang0296 said:

Also, if you’ll permit me speculating on the plot a bit, seeing how Monkey King (Sun Wukong) and Monkie Kid are in the same set and there’s no visible transformation function, I no longer think Kid is Sun Wukong - I think Kid is his son. And this theme is going to explore his adventures with his friends as he tries to live up to his father’s legacy - which would also explain why Pigsy is the only character who looks more-or-less true to legend, because he’s the actual Pigsy, a friend of his father’s who is taking a mentor role. (And apparently opened a pork restaurant, at which Kid has a part-time job.)

I don't think so. I think this Monkie Kid is just going to be a regular kid, who finds like Monkey King's staff or a hero's call or something and then rise to become a hero. It would make more sense because a monkey/human hybrid makes don't make much sense.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:01 AM, 0B1W4N said:

Wait, why? Then only in Asian you could get it and Americans like me couldn't get them.

5 hours ago, HRC said:

I don't think so. I think this Monkie Kid is just going to be a regular kid, who finds like Monkey King's staff or a hero's call or something and then rise to become a hero. It would make more sense because a monkey/human hybrid makes don't make much sense. 

I can see something like that, like in the movie "The Forbidden Kingdom" (with Jackie Chan and Jet Lee). But I think they called "him" something like the traveler or staff bearer. 

Any words when the Monkie Kid theme is due for release? I`m so excited for this one!! :pir-wub:

57 minutes ago, Chilis said:

Any words when the Monkie Kid theme is due for release? I`m so excited for this one!! :pir-wub:

June is the current rumor with availability being Lego Stores and Lego.com only. 

Revolutionary theme, finally the positive influences of years of manga and anime have taken life. Enough of do-goodism's hypocrisy.

On 4/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, Harkonen said:

Same. Personally, I hope to get the whole wave. Definite buys are the Monkey Mech & Cloud Jet. 

On 4/27/2020 at 5:01 AM, 0B1W4N said:

I highly doubt it. They’ve said no more regional exclusives. Don’t think there’s anything to worry about there. 

19 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I highly doubt it. They’ve said no more regional exclusives. Don’t think there’s anything to worry about there. 

Regional exclusives are very much still a thing. They just become available in other regions after a limited window of exclusivity. Happened just this year with the Chinese New Year sets.

Just now, PenPlays said:

Regional exclusives are very much still a thing. They just become available in other regions after a limited window of exclusivity. Happened just this year with the Chinese New Year sets.

How long is that period of exclusivity supposed to be again? Because they showed up in AUS in February . . or is that the thing where Asia and Oceania are considered part of the same region?

18 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

How long is that period of exclusivity supposed to be again? Because they showed up in AUS in February . . or is that the thing where Asia and Oceania are considered part of the same region?

APAC includes Australia. Basically the entire seaboard on that side of the Pacific.

Exclusivity has ended at different times since they announced the end of permanent exclusivity. For the CNY sets this year, it was only a few weeks, whereas it was three months for the Dragon Boats last year.

Edited by PenPlays

Just now, Anak said:

A hungarian online brand store has the sets already on stock. Weird.

https://kocka.hu/kereses-temak-LEGO-Monkey-Kid

I converted the prices from that online store from Hungarian Forints into American Dollars, and it turns out that the prices are indeed really high, like it was rumored when the sets first got revealed...

Edited by Lego David

25 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I converted the prices from that online store from Hungarian Forints into American Dollars, and it turns out that the prices are indeed really high, like it was rumored when the sets first got revealed...

but yet they are lower. The "jet" should be around 50 € in Germany, bike 30, boat 150, mech between 120-130 - all within reasonal range. Not as low as Ninjago or Movie sets - but similar with only a few sets with m a higher price than piececount.

A new teaser poster is (probably) teasing an official reveal this month.

15/05 Mark your calendars!

Edited by LOTR34

https://twitter.com/simonlucas80/status/1257927707666587648

I am surprised that they have been working on this for 2 whole years, though i suppose designing the sets themselves was much faster. How long did they need for Hidden Side (including the app), which will be replaced so quickly? I hope that Monkie Kid will stay with us for a longer period, the leaks looked very promising.

I don’t get this concept of LEGO “replacing” Hidden Side with Monkie Kid. You’d think there was some sort of internal quota that only allows for a certain number of in-house action themes at one time. Imagine that...

2 hours ago, brimbolet said:

https://twitter.com/simonlucas80/status/1257927707666587648

I am surprised that they have been working on this for 2 whole years, though i suppose designing the sets themselves was much faster. How long did they need for Hidden Side (including the app), which will be replaced so quickly? I hope that Monkie Kid will stay with us for a longer period, the leaks looked very promising.

Remember the initial reveal of the trademark Or whatever for the theme? Everything from “stationary” to “sports equipment“ was listed, whatever this theme is it’s going to be huge, and unless it absolutely tanks right out of the gate, it’ll probably stick around for a while. 

also we don’t know that this is replacing hidden side, that’s all just speculation. Hidden side finished it’s first chapter and is just starting its second one, we have no actual evidence saying it’s being canceled.

Still hoping the sets will be widely sold instead of just LEGO.com (so far only a rumour) , not only because it'll be a chance to get sets at some discount, but also gives more widespread attention to the theme.

Edited by TeriXeri

I wonder when the sets will be released... The press release is coming on May 15, but I am curious if that means sets will also release then, or if they'll come out June 1 or anytime in between.