52 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

As far as I can make out on the box, her name is actually Mei. She appears in armour in both the horse-cycle and the boat (in which she appears to get a JetSki) but I’m pretty sure that the green-clad girl in the Red Son Truck is her in casual clothes. Which is pretty great.

Could still be lego's version of the character. They don't really use the traditional names anyway. Plus the character is otherwise notably absent.

10 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

And let's don't get started with Pigsy's cannibalism...

Oh no :laugh_hard:

I wonder why it's Monkie Kid and not Monkey Kid. Is the main character a... monk?

Edited by Graupensuppe

Very interesting theme, but no must-have sets for me.

There are other sets for 2020 looking more must-have then this (especially the Ninjago Fantasy wave as far as Action themes are concerned, even from the little we've seen)

Would've liked if they instead put those small shops in 1 set as a location-based + minifig set instead.

But that doesn't mean those are bad sets, not at all.

Still, no final prices announced, or if it's exclusive to LEGO stores only, could be another factor.

Edited by TeriXeri

9 minutes ago, Lego David said:

So it turns out that the Monkey King Series 19 CMF was indeed a tease for this line... The Monkey King that comes with the Monkey King Mech and and the CMF Monkey King are nearly the same.

figure is even called "monkey king" - however to me both eylashes and chest armor seems quite female.

- "lightsaber" piece seems to come in gray and gold; but it has little texture and is therefore maybe not that usable outside of medevil lines.
- pigsy has medium legs; good to see them again. After HP CMF I was shocked they barely reused them

and my asian friends tell me Ninjago is successful in Asian market in general. There is lot of respect and fandom in China for Korean as well as Japanese culture - including anime, drama, music, lore. After all there are lots of historical and aesthetic relations. Plus of course China is large and diverse.
..but of course a chinese-centric brand would be complimentary, especially since in Eastern Asia, fake-Lego Asian designs are quite popular - for good reasons; great designs and muuuch cheaper.

Holy cow those sets look amazing!!! I love how colorful they all are and even if they remind you of Ninjago I'd say this theme is much better.I'll probably snag one set (probably the white bike) and call it a day I don't think I have space for all those sets.

But I gotta say I find it rather disappointing that the only villains are those bull guys.

Edited by LOTR34

If Monkie Kid is the son of Monkey King... Does this mean that Princess Iron Fan is the daughter of Bull Demon King? *oh2*

Edited by Harkonen

50 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Very interesting theme, but no must-have sets for me.

42 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

But I gotta say I find it rather disappointing that the only villains are those bull guys.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Easy pass.

And I say that despite some childhood nostalgia for the 80's tv series Monkey. Nice sets, interesting parts/build but like with Overwatch, there's just no great appeal here. I'm sure the theme will sell well in China, which let's be honest, is clearly the primary aim here for LEGO.

Edited by Lucarex

36 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Easy pass.

And I say that despite some childhood nostalgia for the 80's tv series Monkey. Nice sets, interesting parts/build but like with Overwatch, there's just no great appeal here. I'm sure the theme will sell well in China, which let's be honest, is clearly the primary aim here for LEGO.

Same here, I did collect Nexo Knights so I got my fair share of mechs/monsters already, but the competition from the upcoming Ninjago wave and Hidden Side Castle is strong, I rather get locations instead of vehicles/mechs at this point.

Wasn't impressed by the smaller sets, but the mechs and the secret base look amazing. The builds are at the same level or even better as the Ninjago Movie sets, which IMO were the best Ninjago sets. It is a very expensive theme, though, which makes me wonder what the piece counts are. Overall, probably won't be buying any of these, but if ever we get a D2C for Monkie Kid that would be in the same league as Ninjago City, I'll be listening...

A couple of interesting hair pieces, and I might hunt down a Princess Iron Fan, but otherwise nothing I'm too interested in.

6 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Wasn't impressed by the smaller sets, but the mechs and the secret base look amazing. The builds are at the same level or even better as the Ninjago Movie sets, which IMO were the best Ninjago sets. It is a very expensive theme, though, which makes me wonder what the piece counts are. Overall, probably won't be buying any of these, but if ever we get a D2C for Monkie Kid that would be in the same league as Ninjago City, I'll be listening...

I would take those prices given on IG with a pinch of salt, probably adjusted by 30% for Chinese market. Fairly sure it’ll be standard PPP rates, as theme is in-house not licensed.

Edited by Lucarex
typo

There's a parts use in the Monkie Kid Cloud Jet that I'm quite happy with, because it might mean we could get a certain trapezoid part in colors other than yellow and grey at some point. I'll be looking over the other sets for this part.

The little kid inside of me is ever so jumping for joy 

An awesome fusion of Ninjago designing with the classic tv series characters except Sandy is really tall and blue 

So apparently LEGO didn't want the sets to be revealed this early, and they've taken down everything that reported on them...

6 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Jangbricks deleted his Monkie Kid video... 

Are you sure as I'm currently watching it, though I did have it paused for about 30mins.

As for the sets when the name of the theme leaked, was not really interested, but after seeing the sets I want the two mechs, the container barge and the truck that transforms.

Edited by blurrkup

Just now, blurrkup said:

Are you sure as I'm currently watching it, though I did have it paused for about 30mins.

He deleted it. 

Okay, I adore these. Mei's one of my favourite minifig designs for sure, but this is like... the Ninjago Movie 2 toyline squared, with a varied cast of protagonist characters rather than colour-coded sentai ninjas? Definitely looking forward to this.

49 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Jangbricks deleted his Monkie Kid video... 

@just2good Also deleted his video on Monkey Kid.

Edited by Lego David

These sets are incredible. I grew up watching some of the Journey to the West cartoons, and this definitely brings those good memories back. Day 1 buy!

As many predicted we have Chinese Ninjago.  Hard pass for me, but I'm glad other people seem excited. 

I can't imagine this drives much sales growth in Western markets as I think many folks that like this style would have bought ninjago and will just be chosing between these and the ninjago line.  I think this is entirely a play on the Chinese market hoping the links to mythology will excite the Chinese consumer.

Edited by Lacdaran

Wow, those pictures are something. Interesting sets, but they're a couple of tiny differences away from just being another wave of Ninjago.

There could really only be two possible reasons for this theme's existence:

1. Ninjago doesn't sell well in China. Not sure if this is true, but Monkey Kid may very well be a regional exclusive regardless. People in other continents will now have to choose between two similar themes, and doubtless they'll go with the more established one. Makes no sense to be a worldwide release.

2. Lego is phasing out Ninjago in favor of Monkie Kid. Now before someone comes in here hollering about it being an Evergreen theme, we don't know what Lego's plans are outside of what they choose to tell us. It's possible that something changed in the last couple years and they've decided to go in a different direction, but who knows? 

Edited by BrickJagger

The main cast looks great, the sets all look interesting and varied save for the bike and what I'm assuming is the Demon's son's truck. 

What really interests me is that it seems like the cast is half adults and half "kids", though Monkie Kid and Mia look kind of ambiguously aged. Unless Sandy is a hairy teenager?